PDA

View Full Version : Food Boxes in NY/NJ

Pootz
04-06-2009, 14:40
Does anyone know which Shelters in New York/New Jersey have food boxes. The only shelter I have stayed in was High Point and it had a food box in 07. Mainly interested in the section from High Point State Park North. Thank you for your help.

Chenango
04-06-2009, 15:07
I stayed at Mashipacong Shelter saturday night. It has a bear box.

Pootz
04-06-2009, 15:28
Thank you for your help. I called the ATC office and was told that there are boxes at all shelters in NJ and the backpackers Campsite. None in NY.

dperry
04-15-2009, 22:22
Thank you for your help. I called the ATC office and was told that there are boxes at all shelters in NJ and the backpackers Campsite. None in NY.

Wildcat Shelter, the first one in NY as you go NOBO, has one. We were there the other day.

scamp_80
04-16-2009, 06:42
Neither William Brien Shelter nor Fingerboard shelter in Harriman St. Park in NY have food boxes. Actually, I've never seen them at any shelter within Harriman.

Manwich
04-16-2009, 08:24
just ask the scouts to hold on to them in their tents.

The Perfesser
08-16-2011, 19:51
Shelters have places to hang food...six feet off the ground at the entrance to the shelter, almost like a welcome mat to bears. But, I don't think bears are that big of an issue in NY.

Raul Perez
08-16-2011, 20:54
Wildcat shelter is the only one with a bear box in NY.

BigHodag
08-16-2011, 23:17
Not only do all the AT shelters and the backpacking camp have BearSaver bear boxes (http://at-trail.blogspot.com/2011/08/bear-container-bearsaver-bear-box.html), but there also a few at the AMC Mohican Outdoor Center. I just posted a short blog post on the BearSavers a week ago. The photo in the post is of the box at the backpacker camp. There is a small square hole in the bottom of that particular bear box suitable for mice to access.

I recall the bear box at Wildcat was a long metal footlocker chained to a tree.

There's a long stretch between AMC MOC and Brinks Road shelter where there's no bear box if stealth camping. If you stop short, there's stealth sites just past the left 90-turn and the blue blaze to Buttermilk Falls. Need to be able to bear bag there.

What you didn't ask about is where to drop your trash as NJ has removed trash cans from its parks and trail heads. You can drop trash at AMC MOC, Sunrise pavilion parking area, Culver Gap, Unionville, and Heaven Hill Farm.