PDA

View Full Version : What is your 3-season temp variables?

ncmtns
06-02-2004, 18:37
I think my '3 season' hammock setup may be good down to 50*. Dunno yet til the weather starts to cool. But with what I have now, its about 4 lbs, counting the tarp.
Does this sound reasonable?
I read earlier threads on this but no one mentioned what they thought their 'low temp' side was.

Rambler
06-02-2004, 19:14
From Ed Speers book on Hammock Camping: "The following table is based on my comfort in no-wind conditions...."
70-75 48* rated bag,no pad
60-70 48 rated bag, 1/4" pad
50-60 38 rated bag, 1/4" pad
40-50 25 rated bag, 1/2" pad
30-40 25 rated bag, 1" pad
20-30 15 rated bag, 2" pad
10-20 0 rated bag, 2" pad page 70

The degrees are Faren...

SGT Rock
06-02-2004, 19:23
What are you carrying?

My entire set up is this:
4 stakes (I know two is enough) = 2.0 ounces
Hennessy Hamock = 31.6 ounces
1/2" thick sleeping pad = 9.6 ounces
Nunatak BCB (15 degree) = 26.4 (working on getting lighter)
No Sniveling Quilt = 18.2 ounces
Stuff sack (for both quilts) = 1.1 ounces
Shock cords for No Sniveling Quilt = .9 ounces

Total weight is 89.8 ounces or 5 pounds 9.8 ounces.

I carry the following combinations:

Above 60 degrees - pad and no sniveling quilt with hammock = 62.2 ounces or 3 pounds 14.2 ounces

Between 30 and 60 I use the heavier blanket with the stuff = 70.4 ounces or 4 pounds. have experimented with this set up down to about 35. I figure it can go down to about 30.

Below 30 I use the whole rig. I haven't tried the No Sniveling quilt that low yet, But based on experience I assume it can take me down into the teens, if not the single digits.

I am planning on replacing my Nunatak BCB with a homemade project similar to the Arc Alpinist. This should cut my weight by about 8 ounces while keeping me in the same temp range.

Fiddleback
06-02-2004, 20:47
Went to 28F with 2lb14.5oz; HH at 2:7.5 and Oware 1/4" pad at :7.
No bag -- no quilt.

In early May I bp'd into the Rattlesnake Wilderness, MT. This was my first ever solo backpack as well as my first night on the trail with an HH and my first attempt to go 'ultralight.' As it turned out, I was far from 'ultra' but I did do it lighter than past bp's and I'm getting better.

Since I had to be prepared for snow and temps down to 20F I had a fair amount of cold/bad weather clothes with me as well as what I usually sleep in. The clothing weighed 5:7 (cold weather and sleep set).

I slept in both the cold weather and sleep set clothes. It only got down to 28F (record highs that week :sun ) and I was comfortable except for some cold toes which woke me up a couple times.

The grand total weight was 8:5.5 BUT because of the elevation and weather in the Northern Rockies (my backyard) I'm pretty much committed to carrying the cold weather set all the time. In the dead of summer the weight might drop a pound but not much more. But whether they're part of my sleep system or not, they'll be in the pack.

The bottom line -- I'm pretty happy with the outcome of putting my cold/bad weather clothing to a dual use. If I'm gonna carry 'em, I might as well use 'em! :)

FB

peter_pan
06-02-2004, 23:05
I think high 20s low 30s is a reasonable planning mark for three seasons on the AT, late Mar till early Oct. Yes there will be occasional colder period especially in Maine or the White mts.

Against this mark 4-5 pounds for a complete hammock shelter and sleep system is very achievable.
example:
HH backpacker UL asym 31 oz
Nest under quilt 18.5 oz
No Sniveling top quilt 18.5 oz
Python skins 2.5 oz
compression/stuff sack for top quilt 1.5 oz total 72 oz or 4.5 lbs
incl shock cord nest hangers

ncmtns
06-07-2004, 21:38
In my system I had put a piece of 1/2" open cell foam under my hammock supported by my 'Frog Togg' type material shell. Trying to save some bucks I dont really have, I was hoping that would do the trick since I cant afford a real down under quilt. The foam weighed almost 1# so I was excited to think my set up would be the ticket. However after a night with this system I found the foam would not wrap around the hammock as well as I thought it would and it left gaps allowing cold air on the sides.
Soo, the next night I put my down 'over' quilt underneath and in between my shell and found ,as you all would already know, it wrapped around and conformed super to the sides of my hammock.
My wife has since found camoflaged insulated rip stop material at her supply store and is going to sew up a makeshift underquilt for me. Her proto type experment is under 1# and kept me cozy underneath at 50* with my Speer down top quilt.
Anyways... maybe sharing this will spare someone else some precious time and effort.

trippclark
06-08-2004, 10:45
March 12 of this year near Low Gap on the AT it got to 24 degrees. I was very warm (almost too warm at times). Here was the set up that I used:

Speer hammock with down peapod (with 1 oz overstuffing). I used my REI Sub Kilo 20 degree down bag as a top blanket (I have since purchased Speer's down top blanket). For added insulation, I placed my down vest between the peapod and the hammock body, under my torso. I was wearing a long sleeve duofold shirt, duofold long underwear, fleece jacket, and fleece hat. Oh, also dry socks.

I had the peapod closed almost completely, except for a small gap for air and moisture to escape above my face.

I was very warm. In fact, a few times when I woke hot I would open the vent a little, and remove the hat and or zip open the jacket.

I am generally a cold sleeper.

Tripp

firefly
06-25-2004, 12:01
My cold weather setup:

Speer Hammock 32 oz
Down Pea Pod 28 oz
Down Top Blanket 16 oz
thermarest pad 11 oz
6 stakes & cord 5 oz

all of this weighs around 5 3/4 lbs..I can use it to sleep comfotably in a broad range of temps. 6 stakes and the cord allow me to setup on the ground if it is really cold. I switched from a Hennessey Hammock last year because I sleep VERY cold and I wanted a simple storebought solution for this problem. I had some problems adjusting to the snugger fit of the Speer versus the flatter fit of the Hennessey. Using the thermarest pad takes care of that and gives me 1.5" of insulation. The Speer Pea Pod is very toasty and is easy to vent if you get too warm.

trippclark
06-28-2004, 10:09
Firefly,

I concur with everything that you said. I too have found the peapod to be very warm and a nice cold weather solution. Additionally, the "snugger fit" for me has taken some getting used to. I still think that I prefer the "roominess" of the Hennessy, but I guess it is a trade. There are features that I prefer with each. Speer's makes a more comfortable chair. The removeable bug net makes it easy to do simple tasks (like food prep) while reclining in the hammock. On the other hand, I like the bottom entry Hennessy and the quicker set-up and take down. I guess I just like them both!

I recently ordered a Jack's R Better underquilt, and I am interested to compare it's efficiency with the peapod.

Tripp

firefly
06-28-2004, 11:49
Trippclark...please let me know how that works. There are things I like about both hammocks. I like the seperate hammock and rainfly setup that the Speer has. I enjoy using the hammock as a camp chair-I usually cook dinner sitting in it. The big rainfly with the attached tieouts can be set up in a hurry and it makes a great place to entertain friends during a storm. It is nice to be able to pack up in the rain underneath it. BUT the Hennessey does sleep flatter..you get more of a view and if the bugs are swarming the attached bug mesh is wonderful. If I can find the right underquilt for my Hennessey I will probably use it during bug season and switch to the Speer after that.

trippclark
06-28-2004, 12:08
Firefly, again I agree. I am real anxious to receive and try out the HH underquilt and compare it. What I expect to find is that the peapod is still better in really cold tems. My rationale is that the full wrap around design of the peapod and that "snuggness" that we both spoke of, will be more efficient in really cold temps. It's just speculation at this point, but I expect that the speer peapod system will be my solution of choice in sub freezing temps, but that in the 60 - 35 range that I'll proably find myself using the HH with the underquilt and adding the larger speer tarp. One thing is for sure, I'll have lots of options to consider and experiment with. :D

Tripp

SGT Rock
06-28-2004, 12:16
http://hikinghq.net/hammock/jacks_quilt.html

Here are my notes on the No Sniveling Under Quilt so far.

peter_pan
06-28-2004, 21:20
Tripp.

Check the articles at JacksrBetter, http://216.83.168.206 . The one on synergy describes how all the quilts work together. The nest because it is baffled and the down can be shifted to the bottom can be made approximately 50-60 % thicker than The Pea Pod. ALso, and more importantly, the 3 season system of Nest and No Sniveler, is lighter than most every underquilt and bag combo, lighter than most pad & bag combos and more confortable as well as more efficient. They can be used together on the bottom. They can be shifted to provide 4.5 -5 inches on the bottom and approx 1.5-2 " on the side. Use your existing bag on top and you have a 0-10 solution. Or use the Old Rag winter top quilt. This is a thoughtful article. check it out.

trippclark
08-07-2004, 22:08
The Jacks R Better Nest arrived this week. Quality and workmanship appear excellent. :clap I set it up in the yard just to see how it works. Set up was simple and the underquilt wraps snuggly against the bottom of the hammock. I have not yet slept in it, and it was 85 degrees outside at the time. I'll update again whenever I have a cool weather test.

Tripp

pharper
08-09-2004, 08:49
I have also received my nest underquilt from "The Jacks" and think that it is AMAZING!! The quality of workmanship is great. I haven't had any cold weather to try it out in yet, but tried it out in 70 degree F temp and it made it warm! I can't wait until it gets cold enough to really test it out, I don't have any doubts that it will work well.

I also had a wonderful experience in dealing with the Jacks. They were quick to respond to any questions that I had, and they also let me know promptly of any delays that they encountered.

I would highly recommend this product solely on the craftsmanship and the customer service, and I look forward to having a cool/cold weather test!

-Patrick