PDA

View Full Version : wildernet.com

Silver Bear
04-06-2009, 19:44
This site has a complete listing of all the trails in the Smoky's. It gives you the elevation start and gain, miles, discription etc.
http://activities.wildernet.com/pages/rectype.cfm?areaID=TNNPGRSM&rectype=Hiking%20%26%20Walking&CU_ID=1

If you go the home page you can find trails & parks all over America.

Egads
04-06-2009, 19:52
Thanks

TIDE-HSV
06-03-2009, 11:29
Very neat link. Thanks. I've covered most of the trails over the years. I notice the Jenkins Ridge Trail (it was originally "Jenkins Trail Ridge") is the only one rated "extremely challenging," and I second that. The overall elevation gain is extremely misleading, since 800' is gained in one .4 mile stretch. The Porter Flat manway into Dry Sluice Gap, on the AT, is even more challenging, but I guess they don't include non-maintained trails...

Many Walks
06-03-2009, 18:43
Wow, good find...thanks for sharing!

humunuku
06-03-2009, 18:48
Very neat link. Thanks. I've covered most of the trails over the years. I notice the Jenkins Ridge Trail (it was originally "Jenkins Trail Ridge") is the only one rated "extremely challenging," and I second that. The overall elevation gain is extremely misleading, since 800' is gained in one .4 mile stretch. The Porter Flat manway into Dry Sluice Gap, on the AT, is even more challenging, but I guess they don't include non-maintained trails...

yeah Jenkins Ridge is very steep in places, my knees really did not like going down it

TIDE-HSV
06-04-2009, 10:19
I went up it, but neither way is fun. The most brutal descent I've ever made was down the Porter's Flat manway I mentioned. The old Sierra Club Guide proclaimed it impassable for descent. As I've related elsewhere, I ascended up the wrong (left) draw and took a right on the AT and ran into my buddy who hadn't waited on me at the campsite and ascended the correct way. Since he knew the way, I managed to talk him into descending with me. He was an accomplished runner, but he fell so many times, I began to fear I'd have to try to carry him out...