PDA

View Full Version : Hikers rescued near Damascus

vamelungeon
04-07-2009, 05:47
I don't know all the details, but the local news just reported 3 people who had gone hiking Saturday and were to come back Sunday hadn't come back by Monday. They said their ages ranged from 12 years old to early 60's. The Damascus police chief said they found them about 4 miles up the AT. They didn't say what the problem was, though.

Lone Wolf
04-07-2009, 06:25
I don't know all the details, but the local news just reported 3 people who had gone hiking Saturday and were to come back Sunday hadn't come back by Monday. They said their ages ranged from 12 years old to early 60's. The Damascus police chief said they found them about 4 miles up the AT. They didn't say what the problem was, though.

the problem was miscommunication with family members about when and where they were supposed to be. i was in on the "rescue" advising the chief of police on where to search. they were on the AT 5 miles from town alive and well and refused any assistance.
i will say the chief and fire department members had all the bases covered. they did a methodical search and found them

SawnieRobertson
04-07-2009, 09:39
the problem was miscommunication with family members about when and where they were supposed to be. i was in on the "rescue" advising the chief of police on where to search. they were on the AT 5 miles from town alive and well and refused any assistance.
i will say the chief and fire department members had all the bases covered. they did a methodical search and found them

:bananaGlad to hear good things about the Damascus police.--Kinnickinic

Kanati
04-07-2009, 14:51

With all that you've been thru in the past weeks with your heart issues, don't it feel good to be back on the trail and taking part in that search? glad to hear you're doing well. Keep it up.

vamelungeon
04-07-2009, 16:27

Yes it is! LOL

Lone Wolf
04-07-2009, 16:48

the chief is a good dude. when i called 911 from the rescue squad he was there in 30 seconds and started an IV in me. he's a paramedic too

Kirby
04-07-2009, 18:09
the chief is a good dude. when i called 911 from the rescue squad he was there in 30 seconds and started an IV in me. he's a paramedic too

Does Damascus have a full time paramedic unit or is it volunteer?

Lone Wolf
04-07-2009, 18:15
Does Damascus have a full time paramedic unit or is it volunteer?

all volunteer

Kirby
04-07-2009, 18:45
all volunteer

I presume the police force is full time?

Screech
04-07-2009, 18:59
A bunch of us hikers have been holed up here in Damscus for like 5 days and were happy to hear it was a lack of communication rather than a real safety issue. The story seemed a little funny so it made sense that they weren't really lost.

Rentman
04-07-2009, 21:31

Sounds like the time my wife called LW at 1:00 a.m. wonder where I was...............just a miscommunication.............my arse still hurts from the chewin..............:D

Tennessee Viking
04-07-2009, 21:36
Were they on Holston or up toward Feathercamp/Saunders?

Lone Wolf
04-07-2009, 21:50
4 miles north of town on the AT