PDA

View Full Version : Does Clingman Dome Road close?

three legged cow
06-02-2004, 23:23
I am planning a long day of hiking finishing at Clingman's Dome and having someone pick us up. Does the road in close at any time? If it does close, does anyone know at what time it closes at night AND reopens in the morning? Thanks so much! :)

Groucho
06-02-2004, 23:54
It will only close when weather makes it impassable. At least that's the way it was a few years ago.

Stuart
06-03-2004, 02:13
My understanding is that the road closes during the winter months, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Ramble~On
06-03-2004, 03:00
The road does not close until late Fall, early winter

Jaybird
06-03-2004, 07:20
I am planning a long day of hiking finishing at Clingman's Dome and having someone pick us up. Does the road in close at any time? If it does close, does anyone know at what time it closes at night AND reopens in the morning? Thanks so much! :)

Although Clingmans Dome is open year-round, the 7 mile road leading to it is closed from December 1 through March 31, and whenever weather conditions require.

OPEN...24 hours a day...in fact...you may leave a car there for up to 7 days in the Clingmans parking lot. (which is only a half mile from the trail)

My hike partner: Jigsaw & i section hiked Clingmans to Hot Springs recently & had monsoon-like weather, followed by sleet & snow the following day. :D

9 Mules
06-03-2004, 07:23
There's a big sign right at the turn off for Clingman's that has the dates for closing...what where they? I know its 2-3 months in the winter can't remember when. I'm going up there next week and repost with better info

three legged cow
06-03-2004, 07:39
Thanks for all the info. It sounds like I will be okay since I am going next week. Hey, Jaybird, how recently did you experience that type of weather around there? 3LC

Jaybird
06-03-2004, 07:54
Thanks for all the info. It sounds like I will be okay since I am going next week. Hey, Jaybird, how recently did you experience that type of weather around there? 3LC

3LC

We were there May 1 & 2.

have a GREAT hike! :D

tlbj6142
06-03-2004, 13:23
the 7 mile road leading to it is closed from December 1 through March 31Too bad as the views are usually the best in the winter as the air is much, much clearer. I was there on a warm Janurary day, and folks were parking at the gates and hiking the road. Would make for a nice day hike.

Footslogger
06-03-2004, 23:09
Dunno ...but it was so foggy/rainy in 2003 that it may as well have been closed.

'Slogger