PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help planning first AT trip.

freedompirate01
04-07-2009, 10:40
My friend and I are from Albany, NY/NYC and looking to do about a week on the AT in mid April. This would be our first trip on the AT.

I've got a snugfit/15 WM bag and he has a JRB MW / 30 MB bag.

So i suppose we have top plan based on the weakest setup which would be the snugfit which is good to high 30s max in my opinion.

We are new hikers and looking to set a reasonable goal with an end location in mind. We don't mind traveling a bit further south if it would make a better trip. It would be nice to meet some other hikers along the way but from what i understand the majority of them are still pretty far down south?

Ox97GaMe
04-07-2009, 10:54
When are you planning to start your hike? The majority of the hikers are still in NC/TN. There are a few of the early starters that are into mid-northern VA.

For new hikers, the NY, CT, NJ, and PA sections arent that bad as far as terrain and elevation changes. It is likely to still get pretty cold in that region this early in the season. you may have to consider driving down to the Shenandoah's to get to more mild (still 30s-40s at night) temperatures.

freedompirate01
04-07-2009, 11:19
Most likely looking to start around 4/17.

What do you think of having 2 plans ready to go depending on the weather? If we got another warm week in the northeast like we had a couple weeks ago we could do one of the small states, and if stays cold then head down south somewhere?

Ox97GaMe
04-07-2009, 11:49
It is always good to have alternatives planned out. Not just with the location of the hike itself, but for each (option A vs. option B) also have alternatives as to distance hiked and getting back to your vehicle.

freedompirate01
04-07-2009, 23:18
Which do you think would be best for the North Eastern states, and in which direction?

KMACK
04-08-2009, 03:49
All of CT is great hiking, still chilly at night...mid 30's now. Plenty of shelters and camp areas, plenty of water this time of year. Great views while the trees are leafless (if thats a word). One issue is NO fires allowed. Once into NY fires are allowed. Mass is still cold at night and I'm not sure but fires might not be allowed at sites just north of the CT/Mass line. I'm going to Mass for a long weekend mid May...I plan on hanging too. As far as which direction...doesnt really matter IMO.