PDA

View Full Version : Moved from Straight Forward: Hiking the smokies

Wesley Russelburg
04-07-2009, 12:22
I am fairly new to hiking and was wondering if anyone had any information to help me hike the smoky mountain section of the trail. Maybe some tips on where to stay, what to eat, and where to go for the best hiking experience. I have done a lot of research and I have a pretty good idea, but I was just looking to get some information from some one who has hiked that section before.

Kanati
04-07-2009, 14:47
There are so many great trails it hard to pick one, but if I was 18, I would probably begin by camping in one of the campgrounds in the Smokies, and I would probably choose Cades Cove because it is easy to get to from KY without going thru Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. You may need a reservation, so check first. From CC you can take trails near the entrance, or you can go north on Little River road toward Gatlinburg and turn right into the Tremont road. At the end of the road there is a parking lot and an old logging road/horse trail that crosses the creek. If you stay on this, You can go to a couple of different hiking trails. The middle prong/greenbriar trail, (8 miles), will get you to the A.T. 0.3 miles north of Derek Knob shelter. That is a nice shelter with a very good spring in back of it. From there you can hike the A.T. north 18 miles past Clingmans Dome to Newfound Gap. There are a couple of shelters between Derrek Knob and Newfound Gap. From NF Gap you can continue on the A.T. a short distance then turn left toward Mt. LeConte where you can stay or continue northwest to Alum Cave Bluffs then on to hwy 441.

This will get you started and once there you may change your mind and take different trails. But, whatever trails you take, you will not be disappointed. Don't forget your shelter permit which you can get at the Sugarlands visitor center, or it may be available on-line, but I don't know that for sure.

Happy Hiking. :sun

Wesley Russelburg
04-07-2009, 15:49
thanks for the help. I think im going to try a 3 or 4 day hike before i try to hike through the smokies. the trail i am going to try to hike thru the smokies is starting out at fontana dam and then hiking to davenport gap along the AT. do you think i could make this trip in 5 or 6 days. im in pretty descent shape when it comes to running, i know hiking is alot diffrent though with 30 pounds on my back. ive been trying to get in shape for that also.

Engine
04-07-2009, 17:13
If you are indecent shape, 5-6 days from Fontana to Davenport Gap should be no problem. Most shelters are about 6 miles apart on that stretch and the trail is relatively easy with the exception of a couple of climbs that get your attention.

Having said that, if you are looking for a 5-6 day hike in the park, there are hundreds of miles of better trails for a hike. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the AT, but in GSMNP you are forced to sleep in the shelters when on the AT unless the shelter is full when you arrive. The shelters are infested with mice, and since I'm a light sleeper even after a long day the snorers are problematic as well. You might not be bothered by those things, but when planning my thru hike, that stretch of having to use the shelters does not appeal to me at all.

Especially after one particularly memorable night at Mt. Collins with a swarm of rodents and a guy that snored like a chainsaw...:)

ga2me97
04-07-2009, 17:47
For a good starting point I like going to Fontana Dam. You can leave your car at the dam visitor parking and crash at the Fontana Hilton Shelter (this is good if you are driving any distance to get there as you have no worries about hiking when you arrive so you can get in a little late as opposed to having to hike a few miles after driving all day). From there you can take the A.T. in as far as you feel comfortable with the time that you have then use the side trails to work your way back to the dam. When your done you can grab a shower at the dam (if they still allow it as its been awhile since I've been there).

Kanati
04-07-2009, 21:01
thanks for the help. I think im going to try a 3 or 4 day hike before i try to hike through the smokies. the trail i am going to try to hike thru the smokies is starting out at fontana dam and then hiking to davenport gap along the AT. do you think i could make this trip in 5 or 6 days. im in pretty descent shape when it comes to running, i know hiking is alot diffrent though with 30 pounds on my back. ive been trying to get in shape for that also.

5-6 days shouldn't be a problem. The hardest part is getting to Clingmans Dome. After that it gets pretty easy. If you take enough food for the entire hike it may weight you done some but not too bad. Good luck.

Chaco Taco
04-07-2009, 23:33
Get a map, pack up a food bag for 5 days in your pack, and pick a trail. The park is awesome. So many great trails

Wesley Russelburg
04-08-2009, 11:04
What kind of food do you recomend for a group of 4 guys? I'm thinking of dehydrating my own food in the oven and a dehydrator i have. also i have some MRE's that i have left over from the ice storm that swept through Kentucky.

Blissful
04-08-2009, 11:26
Let all the guys carry their own food. MREs are pretty heavy. Check the food forum for ideas on what to bring for meals.

Pages
04-08-2009, 15:24
the best advice i can give you if you are fairly new to hiking is go easy in the smokies.

i live in florida and have hiked many miles all over the country, but back in 2001, i hiked from big creek campground to cosby shelter - roughly 8 miles - and it took me 10 hours and almost killed me. i remember when i got to the shelter, i was so tired and weak that i almost couldn't lift myself up to the top sleeping platform.

it's a beautiful place so enjoy it. for your first day i'd keep it around 5 miles until you build up a bit of stamina.

the trail is well graded and the corp of engineers did a beautiful job on the rock work.

hope this helps.

TV

Kanati
04-08-2009, 20:36
I wonder if there has ever been a person who hiked the Smokies that didn't just fall in love with the place. My wife and I married in April 1970 and honeymooned in the Smokies. While there we hiked to Ramseys Cascades which is a difficult trail. She said she would never do that again and she hasn't. Every year I try to talk her into it but she won't budge. She loves all the other trails.

Chip
04-08-2009, 21:13
Glad to read that you are going to try a 3 or 4 day hike before the Smokies. You are new to hiking ?? If you want to hike the AT thru the Smokies TAKE YOUR TIME !! There are some great sites / views along the way ! The fire tower at Shuckstack, Clingmans Dome, Charlies Bunion,
Mount Cammerer to name a few (many more views to see). Also wildlife, wildflowers and other points of interest. Pick up a copy of the Falcon Guide to the Great Smokies and get a National Geographic GSMNP map. Read up and plan for a great hike. Trust me, you want to take your time
and enjoy ! A 5 day hike is too fast, why rush ? Like Rome the Smokies were not built in a day.

slow roasted
04-08-2009, 22:41
Thinking about leaving from Fontana? If you aren't dead set on the AT alone, you could start out slow and go up Eagle Creek trail to Spence field. Give you an easy grade to start with, plenty of water and choice of some nice campsites, may allow for a little more freedom (of course your feet might be wet when you get to the top!). Same thing on the northside, drop down Camel back or Low Gap trail to Big Creek Ranger Station. Great Swimming hole 5 miles before Ranger Station on Big Creek!

Bear Cables
04-09-2009, 21:29
There are also some good linking trails at Cosby Campground. Not as crowed as Cades Cove or the other campgrounds. Lower Cramner and Low gap trails lead to the AT. There is also Gabes Mountain trail that passes Hen Wallow falls and connents to more trail. You can park at the campground and hike the linking trails and return to the campground.

Wesley Russelburg
04-14-2009, 11:41
Where at in the park can i hike and not sleep in a shelter?

Engine
04-14-2009, 14:20
Where at in the park can i hike and not sleep in a shelter?

Look at the park web site and click on the map function. All of the campsites are marked by number and mileages between intersections are given as well. It makes it nice to plan a multi day hike. Some of the campsites require reservations which can be had by calling the back country office as well. I have done hundreds of miles of those side trails and you can go for 2 or 3 days and see NO ONE! The only thing that you have to keep in mind is the Smokeys are a wet place and when you come down from the ridge line there are dozens of stream crossings in a typical day, so that slows travel a bit for some.

sliderule
04-14-2009, 15:32
the trail is well graded and the corp of engineers did a beautiful job on the rock work.

The Army has done some training in the Smokies building roads, but I think the credit for most of the stonework belongs to the Civilian Conservation Corps.

conmcb25
04-18-2009, 08:26
Can someone give me some idea of what the weather would be like in General the first two weeks of June.

That looks like the timeframe I am going to have to take the 14 yr old. And ith all the great stuff Im hearing around here about the Smokies, thats definately on my list to check out.

conmcb25
04-18-2009, 08:29
In general meaning on average or what could be expected. I realize the weather is changable, and can be different from year to year.

Is there some way to edit posts????

kayak karl
04-18-2009, 08:30
Can someone give me some idea of what the weather would be like in General the first two weeks of June.

That looks like the timeframe I am going to have to take the 14 yr old. And ith all the great stuff Im hearing around here about the Smokies, thats definately on my list to check out.
http://www.accuweather.com/us/tn/gatlinburg/37738/forecast-normals.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&zipChg=1&metric=0

Ashepabst
04-21-2009, 11:41
in the month of June: Clingman's Dome averages 6.9 inches of rain, 11 days of precip, hi 65, low 49; Mt. Leconte averages 9.7 inches of rain but only got 3.9 last year, hi 63, lo 46; Gatlinburg averages 5.2 inches of rain (only 2.4 last year), 9 days of precip, hi 86, low 58.

this is only like 20 years of data, so the averages probably aren't that reliable and swing wildly.

here are some forecast links:
The Tennessee counties all have smokies-specific forecasts. Of course the NOAA site is just awful to navigate so you have to play around with it. you can find the same info for the NC side using their "point forecast".

Sevier Area Smokies...
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=TNZ074

Blount Area Smokies...
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=TNZ072

Cocke Area Smokies...
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=TNZ041