PDA

View Full Version : Damascus to Pearisburg, VA

markinohio
04-07-2009, 12:54
Curious if this is a realistic quantity of territory to cover in 12 days for two reasonably fit middle age guys? Beginning in mid-May headed NOBO. Lots of camping experience in our youth, still easy going, but with little backpacking experience in the past 20 years.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

McKeever
04-07-2009, 17:01
It's approximately 163 trail miles from Damascus to Pearisburg. This averages to 13.6 miles per day for 12 days which make for a tight schedule for a conditioned section hiker. I'll be glad to answer any questions you have for the Pearisburg area of your hike.

bronco
04-07-2009, 21:38
I will be doing that section after trail days , starting on Sunday hiking to Pearisburg. what are the dates you will be hiking? there should be plenty of hikers out headed north. if I can help with advise let me know BRONCO

Blissful
04-07-2009, 21:46
Will be loaded with thru hikers then, just FYI. And they will all be cruising it. Be sure to bring a tent.

markinohio
04-07-2009, 22:10
We plan to being walking on Monday the 11th. After discussing the trek with my friend tonight it seems as though we have a few days less than originally planned. So our ending point appears to be Bland. Can you offer any place there to park my car?

A lot of people have mentioned the number of through hikers we are likely to encounter but that hardly seems like a reason to avoid this section. I will have a tent.

My only other question is basically to wonder what the temperature is likely to be during mid-May in that part of VA.

Thanks for the insights.

Cookerhiker
04-08-2009, 09:03
I hiked part of that section (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=98012) the same time of year you are and while I met many thruhikers, the Trail wasn't overcrowded at all. My recollection is that some of that stretch has some long ups and downs while other parts are easy and conducive to big mileage days. So your 14 mpd average may consist of some 11 mile days and some 17 mile days.

Re storing your car, perhaps you can keep it at the Big Walker Motel in Bland but you need to contact them. Not sure I'd leave it at the Trailhead for a week but see what the locals say. Is it important for you to hike this stretch northbound? If I were hiking there, I'd want my car stored in Damascus. I suggest you contact Lone Wolf - he can shuttle you and give you info. about car storeage.

Jack Tarlin
04-08-2009, 14:53
McKeever is correct. If possible, I'd give it a bit more than 12 days. If you haven't hiked in awhile, 13.6 miles a day right out of the gate is a bit fast, especially if you plan to hike at that pace for 12 consecutive days. I think allotting 14 to 15 days will make for a much happier trip.

markinohio
04-08-2009, 16:53
Thanks for the feedback. We will have one car in Damascus and the other at Bland or some other parts close by. I have yet to find any proponents of Bland so I may need to do a little more investigating to find a place to leave the car nearby.

Fortunately both of us are interested in quality over quantity and so if we get on a roll so be it and if we fall short of our goal we'll just need to count on thumbing a ride.

markinohio
04-08-2009, 17:03
I suppose my other point of ignorance is what the temperatures are likely to be between May 11 and 23. Especially given the multiple changes in elevation.

Thanks again.

McKeever
04-08-2009, 17:18
I suppose my other point of ignorance is what the temperatures are likely to be between May 11 and 23. Especially given the multiple changes in elevation.

Thanks again.

The farmers here always count on the "May 10th " cold spell each year so we can have frosty nights even in mid may so hang onto your 3 season gear.

Bronk
04-08-2009, 20:10
I saw snow just outside of Pearisburg in 2002 on May 21st...others here have reported similar flukes of weather...but generally it should be warm days and cool nights.

McKeever
04-08-2009, 20:57
I saw snow just outside of Pearisburg in 2002 on May 21st...others here have reported similar flukes of weather...but generally it should be warm days and cool nights.

Not a fluke, just around the anual May 10th cold spell.