PDA

View Full Version : Dog in a Thunderstorm

Bootstrap
04-07-2009, 14:25
Looks like a thunderstorm is likely on Friday.

What things should I think about if I'm hiking with a dog and a thunderstorm is likely?

Jonathan

the goat
04-07-2009, 14:33
Looks like a thunderstorm is likely on Friday.

What things should I think about if I'm hiking with a dog and a thunderstorm is likely?

Jonathan

definitely don't plan to sleep at a shelter. muddy dog = bitter sheltermates.

Valentine
04-07-2009, 14:38
teach it the lightening tuck. :)

BobTheBuilder
04-07-2009, 14:43
If it's one of them little dogs, you could think about holding it over your head to stay a little drier.

Sorry, that wasn't nice. Other than whether or not your dog likes rain (mine does) and is afraid of lighning and thunder (mine is), I guess I would think of some way to get off the trail or sleep at home that night if possible. Obviously and absolutely no wet dogs in shelters, and its miserable with a wet dog in a tent. Otherwise, your dog should handle the footing no problem. Will it be really cold?

JDCool1
04-07-2009, 14:44
Hunker down and hang on to the the leash. I hope you brought one, you may need it.

superman
04-07-2009, 14:57
It depends on your dog. Winter didn't like rain in her eyse. I used a thick garbage bag and pulled it forward enough to make a hood over her eyes. Her pack held the bag in place as we hiked. I use a rectangular down LL Bean bag. I'd cover both of us with it and her heat would make us both warm and toasty real fast. I did feel a bit funny when I woke up one morning and she had her head on my arm like it was a pillow. By morning we'd be fluffy dry...nothing like sleeping with a hot dog.:)
You MUST watch for any change in your dogs behavior. It's the dogs behavior that tells you something is up and you need to pay attention.

Bootstrap
04-07-2009, 15:03
If it's one of them little dogs, you could think about holding it over your head to stay a little drier.

Sorry, that wasn't nice. Other than whether or not your dog likes rain (mine does) and is afraid of lighning and thunder (mine is), I guess I would think of some way to get off the trail or sleep at home that night if possible. Obviously and absolutely no wet dogs in shelters, and its miserable with a wet dog in a tent. Otherwise, your dog should handle the footing no problem. Will it be really cold?

She's not afraid of rain, thunder can scare her, but if I'm with her she'll be OK.

Daytime forecast for Friday is 65 in the nearest town, I figure 55 up high. Temperatures dropping down to 41/31 by Saturday.

I have a 10 x 12 tarp and a hammock, I was going to leave the hammock behind but I'm thinking it would be very convenient to be hanging above my dog, while she can stay dry under the tarp. (With my gear, I bring exactly the same stuff for tarp camping or hammock camping, except for the extra hammock.)

Jonathan

Bootstrap
04-07-2009, 15:07
Hunker down and hang on to the the leash. I hope you brought one, you may need it.

Yup, sure do. And a wire lead for night so she doesn't chew it.

Jonathan

Bootstrap
04-07-2009, 15:10
It depends on your dog. Winter didn't like rain in her eyse. I used a thick garbage bag and pulled it forward enough to make a hood over her eyes. Her pack held the bag in place as we hiked. I use a rectangular down LL Bean bag. I'd cover both of us with it and her heat would make us both warm and toasty real fast. I did feel a bit funny when I woke up one morning and she had her head on my arm like it was a pillow. By morning we'd be fluffy dry...nothing like sleeping with a hot dog.:)

Interesting - and that worked out when the dog was wet, too?

You MUST watch for any change in your dogs behavior. It's the dogs behavior that tells you something is up and you need to pay attention.

I will. Bringing the dog is getting more and more complicated ;->

Jonathan

superman
04-07-2009, 15:28
Interesting - and that worked out when the dog was wet, too?

I will. Bringing the dog is getting more and more complicated ;->

Jonathan

It worked just fine if she were wet, muddy, cold or just wanted more attention. Long distance hiking with a dog is different than over nights or short term hiking. If you're hiking for only a short term hike you can make some mistakes and the dog will recover at home. If you're doing a thru hike you need to know that your dog is an extension of yourself. It's the dogs hike also and if it isn't healthy and comfortable you'll probably wind up going home early.

Two Speed
04-07-2009, 15:52
. . . and if it isn't healthy and comfortable you'll probably wind up going home early.Or killing the dog. Not good.

Yeah, I know you have no intention of doing that.

I didn't have any intention of inflicting hypothermia on Barney either, but got hard headed about making my mileage one day in the rain. While setting up I realized the poor slob was shaking uncontrollably. Hurried up, got him in the tent, covered him up and got some hot food going for both of us.

Since then I've paid more attention to how the little nutjob is doing. He can be a total PITA, but he's my most reliable hiking buddy and I'd be devastated if I did something that wound up hurting him.

Bootstrap, I'm not trying to jump on your case, just trying to give you a "head's up."

Bootstrap
04-07-2009, 16:02
Bootstrap, I'm not trying to jump on your case, just trying to give you a "head's up."

And I appreciate it.

I'll have a tarp and food and plenty of alcohol if I need to heat her up. I can bring a reflective blanket too, we could both huddle under it.

I only have to do 15.2 miles in 2 days (Max Patch to Davenport Gap), so I'll have some flexibility. I could also lop 3 miles off of that easily enough by stopping at Standing Bear, which should give me plenty of leeway.

Jonathan

Rouen
04-07-2009, 19:18
I'd bring a towel, just like you, a wet dog will lose heat faster than a dry one.

sasquatch2014
04-07-2009, 22:47
Just came back from a 3 day with my pup not yet 1 yr. We did the stretch from Culver Gap NJ north to the NJ/NY line. The first night he slept under the tarp for my hammock. I have a small section of blue foam pad for him and a towel. This and finding a old dead log to use as a wind break along with my pack made it not too bad. The wind kept us both up a bit with gust 50mph+. The second night was in the shelter and it rained; we cuddled, life was good.

You don't know how your dog will react to a situation until they are in it. I thought that the wind might freak him a bit but then we have been out in all kinds of weather and he is familiar with a tarp from the camp on our property. I think one of the keys is exposing your dog to as many things as possible and you will learn how to read their reactions to these things. The signs are there you just have to figure out how to read them.

On this trip I kept taking more weight out of Hanks pack as we went along so it was not as tough for him as he got more tired. He was one tired pooch but is none the worse for wear. I did make it a point to rub him down really good when we would take a break he just thinks I am playing with him but it helps keep the muscles warmer, especially good if he is wet and cold. you will smell like a wet dog that got dried off with smelly hiker clothes. Oh well it's part of the package.

ChinMusic
04-07-2009, 23:08
Not that you have this option now, but I made sure to take my dog on walks on our local bike trail during thunderstorms when he was just a pup. I have gotten him used to all kinds of bad weather.....gets ME used to it too. He still flinches at thunder claps but that's about all.

One thing that is bad is a cold, cold rain. I have had trips planned where I have left him at home so he wouldn't be miserably cold.