PDA

View Full Version : Some heads up on Gold Head Branch

BumpJumper
04-07-2009, 14:42
I am going up there the weekend of April 17th. I want to hike. Who has done some of this and what section is a nice day hike?

JaxHiker
04-07-2009, 23:07
It's only 3 miles. Pretty short hike. I love the ravine trail though.

Gray Blazer
04-08-2009, 20:36
Take your peremethrin or whatever the #%^@ it is.

Gray Blazer
04-08-2009, 20:37
I think Chiefduffie knows sumpthin about this section and Camp Blanding.

JaxHiker
04-08-2009, 22:08
Gray, are the critters out already? Permethrin rocks!

chiefduffy
04-09-2009, 05:00
The trail in Goldhead is sweet - but as already pointed out, pretty short. I have spent a weekend just wandering around in the park, little side trails, springs, ravines, fern gullies, sinkholes and dry lakes. I especially like the section where there is a little informational signs on the native tree species. If you want to get out of the park, have someone drop you at the orange blazes near Keystone Airpark and hike back to Goldhead through Camp Blanding. 7 or 8 miles of really pristine sandhills and lakes.

Hey Gray how was Franklin???!!!

floridahikes
04-12-2009, 08:15
Yep, ticks and chiggers are a-crawling! I was hiking with my friend ShortCut near the Cross Florida Greenway two weeks ago and although I didn't get any travelers, she sure did. Hiking season is wrapping up...

floridahikes
04-12-2009, 08:17
Gold Head is a gorgeous hike. Here are the details, both on the FT and off:
Florida Trail at Gold Head
Ridge & Ravine Trails (http://www.floridahikes.com/goldhead)

JaxHiker
04-13-2009, 10:03
Yep, ticks and chiggers are a-crawling! I was hiking with my friend ShortCut near the Cross Florida Greenway two weeks ago and although I didn't get any travelers, she sure did. Hiking season is wrapping up...
Grrr. Time to fire up the permethrin.

Gray Blazer
04-13-2009, 10:59
Hey Gray how was Franklin???!!!

Here's the report.

Got there late Fri night. Mr. Jackson forgot to leave my key in the mailbox, but, Ron was there and let us into our room with his passkey. The one side of the parking lot was closed off and it made a nice party area with the sound stage being on the 2nd floor balcony facing the parking lot. Pretty cool.

Showed my pics the next day at the park which is very close to the Sapphire Inn. Had a great time. Lots of nice people. Gene Espy was there selling his book and talking to people. There were other celebrities there including many WBer's. Traded one of my pics for a coupla Skidsteer's homemade stoves. Pretty cool.

The party started in earnest that evening at the Sapphire with some local entertainment singing some good ole songs. Ron Haven performed Foggy Mountain Breakdown with the band. Pretty cool.

My wife and I left Sunday and drove to Luray, VA where we hooked up with 4 grandchildren (including one brand new one-2 months old). We stayed in the Luray Caverns Inn which had a picture window view of Hawksbill and the AT route in the Shennies. We had a really good time. All in all, pretty cool.

Chief, I told Ron you said hello.

chiefduffy
04-15-2009, 17:19
Thanks, Gray - good to hear! Congrats on the new grandbaby.

BJ please let us know how you like Goldhead. I may cruise down there this weekend if I get time.

-Duffy

BumpJumper
04-18-2009, 16:08
Well guys, I couldnt go. I sold my house and I have to go house hunting. I have no free time right now. Wish me luck.

wahoo
06-10-2009, 10:23
Just thought I'd share a couple of videos of Gold Head Branch State park if anybody's thinking of hiking there.

National Trails Day celebration with the Florida Trail Association (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA6_60SMs98)

Hiking the FT At Gold Head Branch SP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UudpGGg5cEc)