PDA

View Full Version : Campsites north of Plumorchard Gap Shelter

cowpoke
04-07-2009, 16:25
Thru-Hikers Handbook shows 2 campsites between Plumorchard Gap and Muskrat Creek shelters. Anyone got any info on these sites? Pads, water, etc. Thanks for any info. cheers, pokey

UnkaJesse
04-07-2009, 16:28
I've camped just beneath Bly Gap. Just a few hundred yards back into Georgia is a nice level spot and an established fire ring. I can't tell you about the water because when I was there several years ago, we had plenty of snow to melt.

rainmakerat92
04-07-2009, 17:15
A few minutes after you cross the road that is about a mile north of Plumborchard Gap, look on the west side of the trail for a faint path that goes past a pile of rocks that could have been (at one time) the foundation of a small house or cabin. About 75 yards from the trail on this little path, there is a small knoll that looks kind of out of place. (Beware of Poison Ivy, it is all over the place.)

There is a campsite on top of the knoll, and in periods of normal rainfall, there are springs on both sides. There are fabulous displays of Lady's Slipper in May on the side of the knoll that is farthest from the trail.

Mother Nature
04-07-2009, 18:42
A few minutes after you cross the road that is about a mile north of Plumborchard Gap, look on the west side of the trail for a faint path that goes past a pile of rocks that could have been (at one time) the foundation of a small house or cabin. About 75 yards from the trail on this little path, there is a small knoll that looks kind of out of place. (Beware of Poison Ivy, it is all over the place.)

There is a campsite on top of the knoll, and in periods of normal rainfall, there are springs on both sides. There are fabulous displays of Lady's Slipper in May on the side of the knoll that is farthest from the trail.

I would just like to add a little to the great description that Rainmaker made about locating this campsite.

The spring on the left side of the blue blazed trail was destroyed by a vandal recently. The spot will collect runoff water but the vandal pulled out large rocks and the spring has collapsed.

The pool at the spring on the right was enlarged and has held water all through the drought. Not a lot of water but with care a cup can be carefully dipped in it.

bigmac_in
04-07-2009, 21:15
That's a nice campsite - Mother Nature keeps it cleaned up, make sure you leave it that way for her. I wish I had camped there last year when we went through, but we were too early in the day.

Ox97GaMe
04-07-2009, 21:52
The water source at Bly Gap is pretty reliable, and it is pretty nice camping area. hikers used to camp around the scraggly oak in bly gap. The area has since gotten overgrown with briars and the campsite below the ridge has been established. The campsite is also better protected from the wind than camping in the gap used to be.

cowpoke
04-08-2009, 15:28
Thanks all for the info...plan on walking Dick's creek gap to Winding Stair gap starting 11 May...hope to see ya'll...thanks again and cheers, bill

Summit
04-12-2009, 15:33
I've camped both below the gap where the water is and up top just West of the knarlly tree, where there is a great flat spot on old roadbed. It is well protected and shady (in the trees). There is nothing real level down by the water, despite its high use. I much prefer the higher campsite - nice views!