PDA

View Full Version : Katrina Recovery Aid All the Way From The AT

EverydayJourneyman
04-07-2009, 18:00
http://www.hfhmgc.org/index.php

In partnership with Habitat for Humanity of the MS Gulf Coast (HFHMGC), Loyal Mehnert, a young adventurer, will be hiking 2,175 miles of the Appalachian Trail (http://forest.mtu.edu/students/dlgraham/at4mld/images/appalachian-trail-map.jpg). This six month long hike will start in Georgia, with the ending point in Maine. Donations toward his journey will go to HFHMGC to help with rebuilding efforts along the MS Gulf Coast.

Base donations are $0.01 per mile, totaling $21.75 per supporter. However, individuals are welcome to donate more.

Click HERE (https://dnbweb1.blackbaud.com/OPXDONATE/donate.asp?cguid=55A0F99A%2DA999%2D4152%2DB0AE%2DB 0AB6E4F5934&dpid=16212) to support Loyal's hike!

Through his blog, The Everyday Journeyman, and his Appalachian Trail hike, Mehnert hopes to raise awareness to the continued need along the Gulf Coast, as well as raise money for HFHMGC.

After Hurricane Katrina, Mehnert found himself shocked and devastated by the sheer amount of loss and destruction caused. His call to action came after the storm when he began working as the National Field Media Spokesperson for Thrivent Builds with Habitat for Humanity, a not-for-profit membership organization who has sponsored sixty-eight HFHMGC homes, with $4.2 million.

Through his work with the Thrivent Builds program, Mehnert was able to spread the word on substandard housing and ways in which people can help. He spoke to millions of people across the US through television and in person, going to high schools, churches, state fairs, and Major League Baseball games.

Loyal Mehnert first had the opportunity to volunteer with HFHMGC in 2007. He enjoyed the work so much that he returned in 2008, and now looks forward to making it a yearly journey.

In his early thirties, Mehnert has already travelled throughout much of the world, making donations along the way. The beginning of this year brought a close to the Plymouth-Dakar charity rally, in which Mehnert drove more than four thousand miles from London, England to Banjul, the capital city of the Republic of The Gambia.

After driving across nine countries in the course of a month, Mehnert donated his Jeep to a charity based in Western Africa, raising several thousand dollars that went to local schools, hospitals, and women’s services.

To view Loyal's whereabouts, click HERE (http://share.findmespot.com/shared/gogl.jsp?glId=09pqsaqCkvBdJi1gHcUEfluUFWzxTV7f3)

Habitat for Humanity is something near and dear to me. While I was down in Biloxi volunteering last fall, I spoke to them about possible doing a fundraiser for Habitat while I hiked the AT. 5 months later, here we are. :o

Originally I had planned to hike the AT in 2008 but a job opportunity with Fox Sports came up and I opted to push it back one year. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have hiked last year instead of work. But I'm happy (and terrified) to start the AT in 3 week and the charity component is fantastic as well.

The press release has gone out so I hope to not make a complete idiot whilst talking about the AT. If I get a question I don't understand, I will defer to these forums and its brilliant members, especially Lone Wolf. :)

EverydayJourneyman
04-08-2009, 22:40
Has anyone on the forum volunteered or worked with Habitat for Humanity before? Any other hikers completed a charity hike?

mtnkngxt
04-09-2009, 07:19
Are you using any of this money to pay for your hike or is it all going to charity?

EverydayJourneyman
04-09-2009, 07:35
Are you using any of this money to pay for your hike or is it all going to charity?

I don't think the former is even an option for reputable worldwide organizations? That's the most bizarre question I've ever heard? When you do a charity fundraiser, it's for the, well, it's for the charity. :datz

How the hell would/could someone even do that?

I don't see/touch/smell the money. I'll get an update as to how much has been raised and I have to make myself available for an media requests. And walk of course. A lot.

That's it. If I have time in the fall, I would like to go to Biloxi and meet with everyone and do some more volunteering, brainstorm on ways to improve the charity fundraising for future EJ projects.

The $1,356.46 price tag thus far has been funded 100% by little old me.

Bearpaw
04-09-2009, 09:22
How the hell would/could someone even do that?

It has happenned. Thus why some folks here can be skeptical.

Best of luck. I worked a bit with Habitat For Humanity in college. It is a fine organization.

EverydayJourneyman
04-09-2009, 09:27
It has happenned. Thus why some folks here can be skeptical.

Best of luck. I worked a bit with Habitat For Humanity in college. It is a fine organization.

They really are a great organization. I have zero building skills and after 2 weeks on build sites, I still have all my fingers. :D

Have people ran scams here before with fundraisers paying for their hikes? That's messed up.

McKeever
04-09-2009, 09:52
They really are a great organization. I have zero building skills and after 2 weeks on build sites, I still have all my fingers. :D

Have people ran scams here before with fundraisers paying for their hikes? That's messed up.

I think we're in a historical period of skepticism so don't become alienated from your cause by a few well placed questions. Perhaps this is your first hiking challenge to overcome in your attempt of a thru-hike.

I think you also need to disclose if you plan on hiking every white blaze or not before asking for money so that your donors can be better informed regarding your endeavor. I would like to think that the WB community will encourage you. I am of the opinion that you should be compensated for reasonable expenses which is not much different than a paid non profit.

EverydayJourneyman
04-09-2009, 10:02
I think we're in a historical period of skepticism so don't become alienated from your cause by a few well placed questions. Perhaps this is your first hiking challenge to overcome in your attempt of a thru-hike.

I think you also need to disclose if you plan on hiking every white blaze or not before asking for money so that your donors can be better informed regarding your endeavor. I would like to think that the WB community will encourage you. I am of the opinion that you should be compensated for reasonable expenses which is not much different than a paid non profit.

Between yesterday (long story) and this, there seems to be some interesting background I'm missing about this forum.

No hiking shortcuts for me but at the end of the day, the charity isn't about me, it's about Habitat for Humanity. I'd long planned on hiking the AT without an altruistic connection. but when the opportunity arose to connect it to my love for Habitat for Humanity and helping others, I couldn't pass it up.

In the future when EJ gets 501(c) status, I guess the overhead expense bridge will be crossed. Personally, I'd still rather go with the "100% of all donations go directly" route.

mtnkngxt
04-09-2009, 10:25
Excuse my bluntness, but in the history of fundraising, they're have been many who use charity to fund their adventures. Your funding of your own adventure while helping to raise money for others is quite honorable and I wish you luck in your hike.

leeki pole
04-09-2009, 10:28
Not speaking for my state, but I appreciate all that many volunteers have done for Mississippi. I live 250 miles inland from Biloxi/Gulfport/Pass Christian/Moss Point and the devastation was immense. I had trees down, shingles blown off, even that far from the Coast. Katrina was one bad girl. We didn't get the press that New Orleans did, but Mississippians took it in stride. It's still a mess down there. Give props to our Governor, Haley Barbour, for taking the lead for recovery and refusing the Government money. Thanks EJ for your work and gesture of kindness. It is appreciated.

McKeever
04-09-2009, 10:39

Apachure.....

EverydayJourneyman
04-09-2009, 11:34
Katrina was insane. I was living and working in Manatee Springs when it hit Florida. Damage was bad but not serious. Once it crossed into the Gulf, well, the rest if history.

I then moved to Iowa and in perhaps the only funny thing to come out of the disaster in New Orleans, opened my home up to families that were displaced. NOT A SINGLE family wanted to come. North Liberty (outside Iowa City) was a worse alternative for survivors then living in shelters.

TrippinBTM
04-09-2009, 19:21
Good job. In a way, I'd be scared that it'd be a lot of pressure. Like, if I decided I really didn't want to hike anymore, I'd have this charity thing hanging over my head. But at the same time, it can be good motivation when I'm just being a baby and/or having a bad day or two.

How does it work, by the way? Do you get people to donate x amount of money per mile, or something? I'm unclear on the concept.

EverydayJourneyman
04-09-2009, 19:25
Good job. In a way, I'd be scared that it'd be a lot of pressure. Like, if I decided I really didn't want to hike anymore, I'd have this charity thing hanging over my head. But at the same time, it can be good motivation when I'm just being a baby and/or having a bad day or two.

How does it work, by the way? Do you get people to donate x amount of money per mile, or something? I'm unclear on the concept.

It's a base donation of $21.75. People are obviously encouraged to give Habitat for Humanity of the Mississippi Gulf Coast (HFHMGC) more if they want.

We haven't talked about what happens if I break an ankle or get eaten by a bear because I kept food in my tent. But there's no refund or cash back if I somehow don't make it to Katahdin (not likely :o) .

TrippinBTM
04-09-2009, 19:59
cool. I wish you the best of luck. It's a great cause, and a great experience. :)

EverydayJourneyman
04-17-2009, 08:42
GoJoe mentioned that a few whiteblazenet members had contacted him about donating to his "charity." He's probably lying but in case he's not...

If you're interested in donating to a real charity, go to http://www.hfhmgc.org/index.php

I spoke to Habitat for Humanity of the Mississippi Gulf Coast on Wednesday and they couldn't be more excited about this charity fundraiser. Donations have already started to come in, so if you're interested and willing, please donate today.

Thanks in advance and I hope to see some of you out on the AT.

berninbush
04-17-2009, 10:32
Good luck with your fundraiser and your hike, EJ. Great cause.

I lived in Ocean Springs, MS (next door to Biloxi) when I was a little kid. I haven't been back since Katrina but I understand they took a very hard hit. :mad: They took the dead center of the storm, while New Orleans was only wiped out with the backwash. Sometimes it's the brave people who suffer in silence who get the least help, while the squeaky wheels get the grease.

On that note, I'd also like to point out that coastal Texas is still suffering from the after-effects of Ike last summer. The small communities on the Bolivar Peninsula were literally wiped off the map. The average elevation of the peninsula decreased by three feet due to massive erosion from the 17-foot storm surge. Think about where you live, and then picture a disaster that digs up the top three feet of soil and turns it over and sweeps it away (along with all the buildings on it). That's what Bolivar still looked like when I visited in January... as my friend described it, "Like a bomb went off." If you've got any spare money to donate after you support EJ's fund, you might consider sending it there.

EverydayJourneyman
04-17-2009, 10:44
I stayed at Camp Victor in Ocean Springs last November when I volunteered for HfH. http://www.campvictor.org/. I stayed at Yankie Stadium in Biloxi the year prior.

Amazing little town Ocean Springs, with art shops. I was surprised.

I think part of the reason I've become so passionate about this cause as opposed to others is that Katrina seems to have been largely forgotten. And whenever it is mentioned, it's all about New Orleans. From a marketing sense, I understand that. NOLA was the site of all the broadcasts when the hurricane hit. And who doesn't love the French Quarter.

But the entire Mississippi Gulf Coast was affected, parts of it completely wiped away. And it will take decades to fix.

I can't say enough great things about Habitat and the work they do. Housing is something we all take for granted, it's a very basic need. And when you live in substandard housing or in the case of Katrina, temporary housing, it affects every part of your life.

And Ike brought back awful memories for many people. But again, the media didn't really cover it because the Bolivar Peninsula isn't NOLA.

berninbush
04-17-2009, 17:08
Katrina still gets mentioned fairly often here in Houston, but we have more reminders. A huge percentage of the NOLA population came here and never went back... we've just absorbed them into our population (and sometimes it's been a bumpy ride). Katrina didn't put a single drop of rain on us, but it changed our city forever nonetheless.

The ironic thing is that the storm itself had little impact on NOLA. It was the flood waters sweeping down the river the day afterwards, and the bursting of the levees, that did them in. It could have been a non-event there if they weren't so very fragile, built below sea level. But the real wrath of the hurricane-- the storm surge and the winds-- hit Mississippi full force.

As for Ike... Houston is the fourth-largest city in the country and the city was almost completely at a standstill for a week... full power was not restored for a month. Imagine if a natural disaster did that in NYC or LA. But the media all live on the East and West coasts and don't think anything important happens elsewhere.

Gaiter
04-17-2009, 18:49
best of luck on your hike...... great cause to support

my lil brother is doing a 'habitat bike and build', bicycling across the country, stoping to build houses along the way

EverydayJourneyman
04-17-2009, 18:55
best of luck on your hike...... great cause to support

my lil brother is doing a 'habitat bike and build', bicycling across the country, stoping to build houses along the way

Bike And Build! That's brilliant. Does he have a website or anything where people can follow him?