PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey

ga2me97
04-07-2009, 18:01
Its been 12 years since I've been on this portion of the trail so I'm not if a re-route has occured but one of my favorite camping sites during my thru-hike was in New Jersey just north of the outdoor center (I think it was run by AMC). I stopped and cooked / ate dinner at the outdoor center then hiked for about a half hour north bound until I found a spot almost on the edge of a cliff where there is a great view. Nice spot.

Old Grouse
04-07-2009, 18:38
I know just where your'e talking about. In fact, this last Christmas my daughter gave me a framed photo of myself gazing out from that overlook. I'm looking at it as I type this. Thanks for the reminder!

burger
04-07-2009, 20:18
I'll be there in 2 days--I'll try to snap (and post) a picture if it's not raining when I get there.

Foyt20
04-07-2009, 20:50
Just before Catfish water tower? Or Just after the road headded to mohican? My dad and I stayed about 1/4 mile after the road, and it was superb. Just make sure you head past the no camping signs on the nice flat looking campsites :D. AND NO GROUND FIRES!!!!

ga2me97
04-10-2009, 21:18
Just before Catfish water tower? Or Just after the road headded to mohican? My dad and I stayed about 1/4 mile after the road, and it was superb. Just make sure you head past the no camping signs on the nice flat looking campsites :D. AND NO GROUND FIRES!!!!

Its been 12 years so I'm not sure if there were any no camping signs around. I really enjoyed that campsite on my thruhike. I do remember that between the outdoor center and that campsite I came upon a bear eating blueberries just off the trail. Believe it or not but I really enjoyed my hike through New Jersey.

Another place I camped at in New Jersey was behind a produce store. Don't remember the name of the place but I believe it was just before that state park with the long W name. It was sort of surreal because my tent was right next to an old purple hurse. Nice though as I got to eat ice cream and talk to locals before going down for the night.