PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie: Info for a two week hike?

eramos
04-07-2009, 19:51
Hey everyone. Hiking the AT is something I've wanted to do for a while, but unfortunately I can't devote the full amount of time I'd need to do it, so I'd like to do maybe 2 weeks of hiking sometime in June or July. But other than that, I'm a complete beginner to hiking (I've got absolutely no equipment, for example), so I have some questions -- I notice there's no sticky or anything, is there a good place to learn a bunch of the basics other than reading the thousands of threads on this site (It's so big -- that's not what she said)

Also, what's the absolute minimum I could get away with spending for 2 weeks on the trail? I wouldn't mind spending more if it was the full hike, but I can't afford to spend a ton of money on stuff I will use once. I have a feeling this will kill my idea before it gets off the ground.

Thanks!

MJN
04-07-2009, 20:09
i would deffinatly get used gear or use ebay. i got all of my gear for probably about 300$. i got a 3 lb tent for 25$ on ebay, and a used internalframe pack that is in perfect condition for 75$, aleutian 20 degree sleeping bag for 50$. the boots were the most expensive at 150$, and sleeping pad for 5$.

Hooch
04-07-2009, 20:19
There are plenty of places for cheap gear. Keep an eye out here on WB for folks selling used gear. As a matter of fact, there's a forum (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69) here dedicated to it entirely. Also, keep an eye out at cheap gear places like Steep and Cheap, Campmor, Campsaver, etc. Also, check places like eBay and Craigslist. I'd also recommend reading SGT Rock's article, How To Dirt Bag and Deal Shop Like A Professional (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=206678#post206678). There is a lot of good advice there. Good luck gearing up! And :welcome to WhiteBlaze.

johnnybgood
04-07-2009, 20:30
First off :welcome to WhiteBlaze.
Start with a comfortable pair of hiking shoes , Duo dry Polyester top and shorts.
Check out www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com) for tents , sleeping bags , pack.
I'd suggest also doing a weekend prep/shakedown hike with someone that has done backcountry camping before.
Also check into renting what you need . There was a poster here a few weeks back promoting such a service.

Good Luck and Happy Trails.

Tipi Walter
04-07-2009, 20:54
Also, what's the absolute minimum I could get away with spending for 2 weeks on the trail?
This is a loaded question. Some will say a buttpack and use the shelters. Others will say to find someone that has some gear and borrow it. Or go to a local outfitter and look at gear. If you don't use the AT shelters, you're gonna need a shelter, a sleeping bag and a pad. Here's what I'd do right off: find these three, fashion them somehow, use blankets and a foam pad under a Walmart tarp, whatever, but take it outside to the backyard or the deck and start sleeping out every night. Start getting your bag nights before the trip and there won't be as many surprises. Oh, and you'll need a pack.

I wouldn't mind spending more if it was the full hike, but I can't afford to spend a ton of money on stuff I will use once.

Thanks!
Use only once? Are you so certain you'll never backpack again?

Do you know which AT section you'll be doing?

johnnybgood
04-07-2009, 21:03
Try this website; www.geartogooutfitters.com (http://www.geartogooutfitters.com)

Hooch
04-07-2009, 21:09
If you live near an REI, you may want to consider renting from them and/or joining the co-op so you can go to their garage sales. Good deals to be had there as well.

Blissful
04-07-2009, 21:29
Nice thing is, for summer hiking you don't need a whole lot of stuff. So just the basics. You can make your own alcohol stove. Get a grease pot as your cooking pot from K mart for a few bucks. A sleeping pad, headlight, stuff sacks and probably a lot of your polyester clothing from Wally World (or even check out clothing second hand at places like Salvation Army). A cheap 40 degree bag. Get your pack last.

eramos
04-07-2009, 21:30
Thanks for the useful links everyone, so much information out there! I have a lot of reading to do I think, is 2 months enough time to prepare adequately?

Use only once? Are you so certain you'll never backpack again?

Do you know which AT section you'll be doing?
Good point to #1, I don't think I'll never use the stuff again, but I probably won't have a chance to a while after this hike.

Secondly, I don't know which section -- I'm guessing I'll start somewhere along the NY section, since I live in NYC.

4eyedbuzzard
04-07-2009, 21:31
Hey everyone:welcome

I notice there's no sticky or anything, is there a good place to learn a bunch of the basics other than reading the thousands of threads on this site (It's so big -- that's not what she said)
Go to the home page at http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php , scroll down and on the left you"ll see links to "Articles". They're kind of the "how to" stickies here.

Also, what's the absolute minimum I could get away with spending for 2 weeks on the trail? I wouldn't mind spending more if it was the full hike, but I can't afford to spend a ton of money on stuff I will use once. I have a feeling this will kill my idea before it gets off the ground.

Thanks!
Beg, borrow, and steal. Okay--don't steal. Hikers don't steal. Except food sometimes. Okay, they don't steal it. They put on a poor little starving hungry hiker face and "yogi" it off of anyone sypathetic enough to offer it to them...;)

Like others said. Ebay. Craigslist. And Closeout sales (last years or even 2006 or 2007's leftovers are still just fine). Campmor generally has decent prices on their own in house brand stuff as well. Use google shopping to compare prices as well. You don't need expensive high end gear to get started. A $5 K-mart "grease pot" or other cheap light aluminum pot makes a great cookpot for instance. Just one example.

bigcranky
04-07-2009, 21:48
I'd suggest at least one overnight or weekend hike before you leave for two weeks on the trail. Two such hikes would be better. These will help you figure out what gear you really need, and how to use it.

As for the basics, I still like the Colin Fletcher book, The Complete Walker. The 4th edition is most current, and while the specific gear suggestions are somewhat outdated, the general spirit and "how to" is still very much useful.

fredmugs
04-08-2009, 11:40
DO NOT buy a pair of $22 boots from Target, Wal Mart, etc. Your feet will blister and you'll quit after the first day. I just bought a very lightweight 4000+ cubic inch pack from Sam's Club for $48 to replace my 4.5 lb military back. Probably not good for a thru hike but will work perfectly for my typical 150 mile section hikes.

Since you are in NY try to avoid hiking anywhere south of High Point, NJ into PA.
Very rocky.

Tennessee Viking
04-08-2009, 12:02
Join up with a hiking club. Some of the larger groups will have a rental service for gear. Sleeping bags, packs, tents.

Also go visit different outfitters and try out gear. I got my Kelty pack half off at a smaller outfitter because they were trying to move new stuff in. While the larger outfitters still have it for twice the price.

Hiking events will usually have vendors selling gear a little cheaper as well.

REI is a good place to check out and the people there know their stuff. Plus a lifetime satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like it for any reason, you can return it as long as your have receipt. Then their membership program will give you a 10% dividend back at the end of the year.

sly dog
04-09-2009, 00:37
I started putting my gear together very easily and cheep. Now when I get extra money I upgrade and my heavier or older stuff serves as a backup or if a friend needs something to borrow. My pack is a mountainsmith from bags.com that was on sale for like $85 and is like 3 to 4 lbs. My summer bag is guide gear for like $20somthing and weighs a pound and a half. Tent was on sale at campmore for $105, Eureka Zeus2 a two person at 4lbs, still deciding on what one person one to get or a hammock. A good bet is find someone close that sections or did a thru and have them show you what they carry,take notes. I am doing a 2 week hike in a month, when I put my stuff together I'll take a picture and show what stuff I put in my bag and what food is cheep and tasty.

Engine
04-09-2009, 06:25
Thanks for the useful links everyone, so much information out there! I have a lot of reading to do I think, is 2 months enough time to prepare adequately?

Good point to #1, I don't think I'll never use the stuff again, but I probably won't have a chance to a while after this hike.

Secondly, I don't know which section -- I'm guessing I'll start somewhere along the NY section, since I live in NYC.

I have an old Camptrails internal frame pack that is still perfectly usable and not too hard on the eyes. I believe it's around 4,800 cu/in and weighs maybe 4-5 pounds which should serve your needs starting out. It's yours for the cost of shipping if you want it...I will include an indestructable stainless cook pot as well.

You can make your own stove in about 30 minutes from soda cans and denatured alcohol. If you are going out during the warmer months when it won't get below 35* just get a cheap summer weight bag and there are a multitude of inexpensive options for tents, but I don't know what your sleeping arrangements are going to be so I cannot make an educated recommendation.

No matter what, just enjoy the experience. It will get in your blood! :welcome

Spirit Walker
04-09-2009, 11:34
I'm a reader, so my recommendation is to buy either one of Chris Townsend or Karen Berger's books on basic backpacking. Both are long distance hikers who write extensively on hiking & backpacking. Colin Fletcher was the guru for many years, but I think Chris or Karen are more up to date.

mustangpwr98
04-09-2009, 12:46
I'm a reader, so my recommendation is to buy either one of Chris Townsend or Karen Berger's books on basic backpacking. Both are long distance hikers who write extensively on hiking & backpacking. Colin Fletcher was the guru for many years, but I think Chris or Karen are more up to date.

That's sacrilege. Colin Fletcher will ALWAYS be the god of hiking.

npoles91
04-09-2009, 20:35
I know you can get really good deals on some gear online, but when it comes to buying your pack, I recommend going to a store, (REI, ems, etc) and actually trying on and messing around with different packs. There may be a lot more options online but with a backpack you're really going to want to make sure it fits and that you like it (it's a solid investment too). Otherwise, you could make your hike pretty rough.

(also, if you find a nice one in a store, try it...and look for a better deal online)