PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag questions

Buckeye Hike
04-07-2009, 20:22
Hey there,

Looking into buying a sleeping bag for the AT. I was looking into two different 600 fill goose down bags from Maramot. First, was Never winter is 1lb. 15oz...Comfort at 41* & lower limit 32*. The second bag was the Sawtooth is 2lbs. 14oz....Comfort level was 24* & lower limit is -21* I also have a prolite seris 4 therma rest pad. I can only buy one bag for the hike so this bag needs to keep me warm in March/April and not over kill in the summer. Any suggestions out there on what other people perfer and have used...Thanks

Egads
04-07-2009, 20:38
You'll either get hypothermia or off the trail with the Never Winter...Comfort at 41* & lower limit 32* in March / April

Buckeye Hike
04-07-2009, 20:41
Thats what i figured...a guy at a backpacker shop was trying to talk me into cause of the weight. I think the sawtooth is great for temp. and weight...you know of any other bags that would work?

Egads
04-07-2009, 21:06
Thats what i figured...a guy at a backpacker shop was trying to talk me into cause of the weight. I think the sawtooth is great for temp. and weight...you know of any other bags that would work?

Ask a hundred different hikers and get a hundred different answers. I have a Montbell UL DH SS #0, a Jacks R Better Nest (quilt), a JRB Rocky Mountain Sniveler (quilt), & a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite 20*. (Check my gallery). The MB is the most comfortable but the JRB Nest is the most used. The Nest is used for >40* and sometimes to extend a bag.

I say all that to suggest you look at the Mont Bell #2, and then supplement your closet with a down quilt for lower temps when you get the money.

Turtlehiker
04-07-2009, 21:23
I have the never winter and I am comfortable down to 30* I have pushed it to the teens, that was a cold night in April in PA, I was really glad when the sun came up and warmed things up.

Blissful
04-07-2009, 21:44
Really you almost need two bags, one for March-May at 15 or 20 degree and a summer weight one at 40 degree.

rainmakerat92
04-08-2009, 01:05
I live in the north Georgia mountains. Today is April 7, and the temperature is going down to the low 20's tonight. In the Smokies, it will be near zero, with a chill factor considerably lower than that. In March, temps in GA can get down to single digits / low teens. If I was hiking the AT and starting in GA in March, I wouldn't want to depend on the Sawtooth.

Waiting until mid-April and going with the Sawtooth (along with a bag-liner) might get the job done. When summer hits in the mid-Atlantic states, you'd probably be comfortable sending the Sawtooth home and using just the bag liner. You'd want to get the Sawtooth back before heading into the Whites, then using the Sawtooth and bag liner again for the remainder of your hike. Don't underestimate the mountains. They can kill you.

dloome
04-08-2009, 01:07
Use the warm bag for the early season, you'll be glad you have it. The get an el-cheapo Lafuma or similar bag for @$50 for the summer.

buz
04-08-2009, 08:51
Its' better to be hot than cold, by a mile. If you are sold on the Sawtooth, or it is priced right get it. Otherwise, maybe take your time and find one that fits you really well, size wise. Montbell, WM, Marmot, all make slightly different sized bags. Some will fit u better, some not so. Look at specs very carefully, and get into some quality bags if possible. Note those specs, and then you have a good idea of a bag that you cannot get into physically on whether or not it is a good fit.

Spend quality money on this purchase.

Turtlehiker
04-08-2009, 09:03
Check out Hiltons tent city, I got the best price on my Marmot Litium there.

http://www.hiltonstentcity.com/library/marmot-bags.htm (http://www.hiltonstentcity.com)

Reid
04-08-2009, 09:06
I have the sawtooth and it is way too much for summer. This thing is a nuclear reactor. Few bags actually keep me warm around the ratings and on top of that I am a cold sleeper, but this bag is for real. I would take a summer bag and use some hot water in a nalgene for extra warmth, I can only use this bag in very cold conditions.

YoungMoose
04-08-2009, 09:15
i would pick the sawtooth. but i have a northface that's rated down to 20f. thats only 2 pounds 14 ounces. retail they sell for 160 but i got mine from a north face outlet for 75$$. Im 6ft and the regular is too small. i would look if theres a north face outlet if you choose this. its synthetic though so you might not be intrested.

YoungMoose
04-08-2009, 09:18
heres a link to one for 120$$$ http://www.hiltonstentcity.com/library/the-north-face-cat's-meow-ms-bargain.html

Buckeye Hike
04-08-2009, 12:39
Hey all,
Thanks so far for all the comments...I've just starting looking for a sleeping bag so I'm not even really sold on those two bags. I like the idea of buying a cheap lafuma for summer and then getting a nice winter bag. I've looked at some really nice Sierra Design bags. So far from what i've been hearing is that i should go for a 0* or a 20* bag.

Blissful
04-08-2009, 13:46
Sierra Design ratings are iffy. Lafuma is plain bad. Add 10 degree to what they state.
I always pack a liner just in case.
Some have said the Campmor down bags are pretty good. I don't have one. I do like marmot though - I own three of their's.

Engine
04-08-2009, 13:49
Hey all,
Thanks so far for all the comments...I've just starting looking for a sleeping bag so I'm not even really sold on those two bags. I like the idea of buying a cheap lafuma for summer and then getting a nice winter bag. I've looked at some really nice Sierra Design bags. So far from what i've been hearing is that i should go for a 0* or a 20* bag.

Unless you are a really cold sleeper, or planning a lot of true winter backpacking, I'd stick with the 20* bag. With a liner and some clothes it could allow a range from 5 to 40 degrees very easily. A 0* bag ends up with a range of -10 to 25 or so.

Bronk
04-08-2009, 21:16
A lot depends on what kind of clothing you will carry and whether you will be in a tarp or tent, and what kind of sleeping pad you have.

I carried a 50* bag and started early March. There were many nights below freezing. But I also had two layers of fleece and slept with all my clothes on, including hat and gloves. I also had a good full length sleeping pad and tent. And I made sure to eat something before going to bed.

But if you have a thin 3/4 length pad, tarp, and go light on clothing, a 50* bag would be totally inadequate.

Wags
04-08-2009, 21:23
Hey all,
I like the idea of buying a cheap lafuma for summer and then getting a nice winter bag.

i did this exact thing. bought a cheap, light, roomy, small packing lafuma synthetic for summer and picked up a nice lightly used down +20 (mountain hardware piute) for spring and fall. winter i stay inside and watch football - if it's below 20 i shouldn't be hiking :D