PDA

View Full Version : Old Books

wnderer
04-07-2009, 20:31
I bought a couple of old books at the used book store

Hiking North Carolina's Mountain to Sea Trail by Allen De Hart copyright2000
and Trail Profiles The Mountain to Sea Trail From Beech Gap to Black Mountain Campground copyright1999.

Has the trail changed so much that these are too out of date to be useful?

Taba
04-08-2009, 15:08
I don't know about the Trail Profiles book. However the "Hiking NC's MST" is a decent guide for picking a section and know what kind of foliage is out there. The trail is constantly changing and I found that there are several re-routes done and more are in progress. Some of the street names have changed and some of the stores listed in that book are not there anymore. It is a good book and worth having, just be aware that there have been changes on the trail since that book came out. There is another book out for the MST. It is primarily for long-distance hiker's of the MST but it is still a great manual even for day-hikers. It was released on February 7th, 2009 and will be updated every year while the trail changes and gets re-routed. There is also a plan to have a version going from Sea-to Mountains next year. The new book is called "The Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Mountains-to-Sea Trail of North Carolina."

Taba

YoungMoose
04-08-2009, 15:10
old books are fine

wnderer
04-08-2009, 20:00
Thanks for the replies. The section from Beech Gap to Black Mountain Campground is the part with Mt Mitchell in it. I figure that part has not changed too much for planning purposes. On the trail, just follow the trail.

Taba
04-09-2009, 10:48
The summit of Mt. Mitchell may be closed due to construction of a new lookout tower. They were having trouble getting the concrete up there without it going bad before it got there and became unusable. The re-route will be the summit road to Balsam Nature Trail.

Tennessee Viking
04-09-2009, 11:12
deHarts book is great if you want to know the flora, fuana, and history of an area or town.

I believe the biggest reroute will be around Falls Lake.

Then most of the roadwalk routes on the parkway have been moved to actual trail.

Then the Parkway closures are always changing. I think the Craggy Gardens to Mt Mitchell closure is still affect. So keep updated to know where you need to resupply.

wnderer
04-10-2009, 09:11
Where do I get these updates?

Thanks

Taba
04-11-2009, 08:19
Hi Wnderer,
If you are interested, The most current book for the MST is "The Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Mountains-to-Sea Trail of North Carolina" It is a light-weight (4 oz.) guide for long-distance hikers, and can also help section-hikers and weekenders. It is very detailed and accurate to the hundredth of a mile. It lists every water source, camping location, view point and has about 700 businesses in the back categorized by town and type of business. The book was just released earlier this year.

They are going for $20.00 a copy and you can get one by mailing a check or money order to:

Scot Ward
PO Box 55536
Lexington, KY 40555-5536

Please allow 1-2 weeks for delivery. If you have any questions feel free to call Scot @ 561-319-2564

The book is now being sold across North Carolina. Several outfitters, book stores and small shops already have them on the shelves for the upcoming hiking season.

Taba

wnderer
04-11-2009, 21:25
Thanks for the info. I guess if I get serious about this I'll need to get new books.

Grumpy5280
04-11-2009, 22:16
If I am not mistaken the author of the new book that Taba is talking up is Taba.

Big Dawg
04-12-2009, 08:02
If I am not mistaken the author of the new book that Taba is talking up is Taba.

You are correct, & worth the price from what I hear!