PDA

View Full Version : HIiking alone-Good idea or No??

Alaskanhkr23
04-07-2009, 21:56
I've been planning to hike NH to Ct sobo and my partner ditched is hiking a good idea if alone,i do not have that much Exp-when it comes to the AT-alaska yes new england no ,im fit,and i know alot of but this particular trails

4eyedbuzzard
04-07-2009, 21:59
When? June through Sept you'll be fine, and rarely alone.

Alaskanhkr23
04-07-2009, 22:01
no im leavin in a week

Lyle
04-07-2009, 22:02
Go, have fun. No problems. Like 4eyedbuzzard said, you will seldom be alone.

Lyle
04-07-2009, 22:03
You have good winter gear? You might be alone a bit. Use Caution in NH.

Alaskanhkr23
04-07-2009, 22:07
why NH? and winter gear i have-i lived in fairbanks,alaska cold isnt much of a problem this winter it hit as low as -70

OutdoorsMan
04-07-2009, 22:07
Just Do It!

fiddlehead
04-07-2009, 22:33
I like hiking alone.

last week, i took some friends out to see my trail i've been working on.
The 11 year old freaked out because he thought there were spiders crawling on him. (there weren't)

I was glad when we were finished but headed back out there (alone) two days later as soon as i had time again.

I probably hike alone 70% of the time. It's nice to have people to talk to sometimes but they sure change the way i hike: slower, faster, stop more, stop less, longer breaks, shorter breaks, choosing a campsite, just camping on the trail when i'm tired, sharing food, getting to eat it all, getting up early, sleeping in a little later, it changes a lot of things.

Have fun.

4eyedbuzzard
04-07-2009, 22:52
Trail condition reports at http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Getting a LOT of rain at lower elevations right now, some snow up top
http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/summit_forecast.php

Slo-go'en
04-07-2009, 22:57
no im leavin in a week

Good luck! What ain't covered in snow up here right now is knee deep in mud. That's why I head south this time of year! A better plan would be to start in CT and go north. Might have a chance that way.

4eyedbuzzard
04-07-2009, 23:04
Good luck! What ain't covered in snow up here right now is knee deep in mud. That's why I head south this time of year! A better plan would be to start in CT and go north. Might have a chance that way.
I agree. It was reasonably dried out in NH by early May last year--for May. NOBO would likely be better. But VT will probably be a mud pit anyway. They (GMC) usually requests that people don't hike during mud season to minimize damage to the trail.

Alaskanhkr23
04-07-2009, 23:40
yeah my fiance lives in Hanover so she lets me know bout trail OCNDs. but i def agree,i just dont like being alone on a trail that i haven't been on for awhile or if even ever been on,plus i've been advise i cannot bring my 460 S&W on the trail incase bears.im used to carrying it from alaska