PDA

View Full Version : Long Sect Hike

bishopj
04-07-2009, 22:23
Hi i plan on starting out at Marion Va. and get a shuttle ride back to Damascus Va it as close as i can get on the bus. Is their a good shuttle service in Marion Va. also will i run in to many Thur-Hike this late in the year and do you think the shelters will they still be full.I do have tent i plan on camping with 90% of the time the like to know about the shelters in case it raining really hard. This is gone to be a long!!!!! sect. hike gone to get as far as i can go in 5months. Thank
:rolleyes:

johnnybgood
04-07-2009, 22:34
Lone Wolf in Damascus will be your best bet as for shuttling.

Did I miss departure date ? When are you starting ?

yes yes yes on being prepared to sleep in a tent .

bishopj
04-07-2009, 22:48
Yes geting down to Marion Va on June 4
:rolleyes:

stranger
04-08-2009, 00:48
You can get further south than Marion with public transportation if you are interested in doing so, but you probably know this. Personally I think you might be selling yourself short by starting in Damascus, Springer to Damascus is a great section of trail, although I never hiked that section in the heat so that can be the equalizer.

On crowds, leaving Damascus in early June you would be behind most of the thru-hiker crowd but I think you would still run into more than you might think, especially those taking their time and planning to flip flop. Shelters will be relatively useless anyway during that time of year with the bugs coming out.

Don't know about shuttles, but this is good place to find one!