PDA

View Full Version : Newbie may Nobo start and finish questions.

footpad
04-07-2009, 23:13
i have read threads and concluded that a late may starter could still finish a through hike "in time" if said hiker covers, roughly 15 miles per day.

1st ?: does the mountain in maine actually close to all hikers? or does it just become impossible to traverse? or what?

2nd ?: it is simple math 2170 miles % roughly 150 days = approx. 15 miles per day. obviously this is an average. but...how many miles does an average hiker do in a week? (taking into consideration days off) i mean, if i take a day off i would need to have several 20 mile days, or a 30 mile day. i consider myself, now, if fairly good shape. i know what a 20-25 mile day is like, with a 40-50 lb pack from my infantry days in the marines. but heck. 15 miles 7 days a week for 5 months seems pretty intense!

as i graduate mid may, if i wanted to step off in 2009, i could only leave as early as late may.

Spirit Walker
04-07-2009, 23:36
Why not go southbound? Then you don't have to push the miles to get to Katahdin before October 15th.

footpad
04-07-2009, 23:52
considering teh nobo crowds i have seriously considered it. i think the main reason i have yet to settle on the idea is that i am from the south and have never been north of georgia. so the idea of traveling into parts unknown with katahdin as the goal just feels right.

phishpapond
04-07-2009, 23:56
I met a guy going sobo last year. He was from the same state and looked at it like he was just headed home.
Just another way to look at it..

G. Rabbit
04-08-2009, 00:09
If you start nobo and it doesn't look like you'll make it in time just turn it into a flip-flop (plane/bus to Katahdin then start hiking south to where you left off) that way you aren't in a hurry to get it done.
There probably won't be too many nobo thru hikers still in the southernmost states in late May, but section hikers are way cool to hang around with too. A lot of them won't be just out for a weekend hike.

Blissful
04-08-2009, 11:41
Start at HF in late May - go north. Go back to HF, hike to Springer.

footpad
04-08-2009, 12:10
i think id rather do a sobo than a flip-flop (haha, sounds like a denny's menu or something).

i guess id have to do sobo if i wanted to leave this year.

Spirit Walker
04-08-2009, 12:14
The advantage of starting in HF or Damascus and flipping is that you work up to being in shape for the more strenuous mountains of New England. Since many students have little time to train, that can be an advantage. Maine has some very rugged country, especially early season when the mud and bugs are a big issue. That and the fact that a lot of people don't want to wait a month or two to start hiking. Plus you get to know a lot of thruhikers, which is a large part of what makes the AT a good hike.