PDA

View Full Version : Why October 15th 'deadline' to finish?

Dustin_B
04-08-2009, 01:33
I understand that Baxter closes to overnight camping on October 15th, but what stops a thru-hiker from camping outside the state park (say at the Abol Bridge campground) and then hiking all the way up Katadin in one day say on the 25th of October? I realize some would consider this a longish day (15+ miles and 4000+ feet of elevation gain) - I wouldn't - but is there any other reason why you couldn't do this? What are the camping options just outside the park? Why all the hustle to finish the trail by this date other than this?

Finally, why does the park close to camping on this date? People 'winter camp' on mountains all the time, why not in Baxter?

Thanks.

PS - I did a search but couldn't find anything to answer this question

Pokey2006
04-08-2009, 01:39
People do summit after Oct. 15. Some actually stay in town and get shuttled in, from what I understand. And you can climb it in winter, you just need to go with a group and get a permit. You would have to have winter climbing skills. I don't know all the details, however.

The problem lies in the fact that they actually close the mountain to hikers on bad weather days. And there are more bad weather days after Oct. 15. Actually, they say to get there by Oct. 1 to minimize the chance of hiking trails being closed due to weather.

TJ aka Teej
04-08-2009, 06:22
That 15+ mile day you mention just gets you to Baxter Peak, you still have to hike down, and maybe out. Weather sometimes closes Baxter to hiking before October 15th, that's one reason to get there before that date. The main reason, aside from being able to camp at Katahdin Stream for a daybreak start, is that Park staffing is cut way back after the 15th. If the the AT is closed due to weather at the trailhead (yes, trailhead, not treeline) there's little chance a Ranger will be free to climb onto the Tableland to judge whether or not to reopen the Trails. The extremely short daylight period, the likelihood hikers will wander off a snowcovered trail and damage fragile vegatation, the small chance of rescue, the fact no ATers are carrying crampons and winter climbing gear, the large chance you'll hike into January-like conditions above treeline - all add up to the suggestion you get to Baxter by early October. I always suggest that hikers hitting Monson by October first flip up to Baxter and hike the 100 Mile back.

Turtlehiker
04-08-2009, 08:49
According to a friend of mine that is a Baxter regular, the park does secret UFO contacting and other secret stuff when it is closed.

RedneckRye
04-08-2009, 09:29
"The works of man are short-lived. Monuments decay, buildings crumble and wealth vanishes, but Katahdin in its massive grandeur will forever remain the mountain of the people of Maine. Throughout the ages it will stand as an inspiration to the men and women of the state."

-Percival P. Baxter

When Percival Baxter came down off of the mountain and gave the land to the people of Maine, he also handed over 2 stone tablets with the rules carved onto them.

Rule #4: Thou shalt be done by October 15.

The Solemates
04-08-2009, 10:10
I realize some would consider this a longish day (15+ miles and 4000+ feet of elevation gain) - I wouldn't -

have you ever climbed katahdin using this 15+ mile route?

if not, what peakbagging have you done that may be similar?

the reason I ask is that it all depends on your skill level etc as to whether or not this is what you call "a longish day". as an example, I have climbed peaks in the west with 8000+ elevation gain and 15+ miles round trip and the 15+ miles and 4000+ foot gain of katahdin rivals some of these peaks.

Chaco Taco
04-08-2009, 10:34
Heavy snow, sleet and ice on a trail of mostly rock straight up happens even before October 1.

DavidNH
04-08-2009, 16:30
I understand that Baxter closes to overnight camping on October 15th, but what stops a thru-hiker from camping outside the state park (say at the Abol Bridge campground) and then hiking all the way up Katadin in one day say on the 25th of October? I realize some would consider this a longish day (15+ miles and 4000+ feet of elevation gain) - I wouldn't - but is there any other reason why you couldn't do this? What are the camping options just outside the park? Why all the hustle to finish the trail by this date other than this?

Finally, why does the park close to camping on this date? People 'winter camp' on mountains all the time, why not in Baxter?

Thanks.

PS - I did a search but couldn't find anything to answer this question

Dustin, After October 15th you can not camp out ANYWHERE in Baxter State Park. Even before then, you can only camp in designated sites. The rangers DO patrol.

Now as for hiking all the way from Abol Bridge.. it is 15 miles one way to the summit of Mt Katahdin.. add 5 miles to get down that makes 20 miles. You aren't going to do that. trust me. this is one of the toughest climbs of the entire trail.

Here is how you can get around this though:

Camp over night at Abol Bridge (the campground will be closed but I think there are free sites on south side. Call ahead to At lodge in Millinocket. You then hike to Katahdin Stream campground in BSP and get picked up there by the hostel shuttle. Shuttle back early next morning climb up and down Katahdin and get a ride or shuttle out to Milliniocket .

That said.. there is a very very very small chance that weather conditions will be favorable for climbing Katahdin after mid October. This is a high and no northern mountain that probably has weather conditions rivaling Mount Washington. After November 1 you will have Zero chance unless you are equiped and experienced with winter mountaineering and have ranger permission. You can see ice and or snow up there in mid October and if so the mountain is off limits class III or IV day).

Just plan to finish before Columbus day and you won't have all this hassel to worry about.

Just saw your last question "people winter camp on mountains all the time why not in Baxter?" I am beginning to think you are not from New England.

In anycase, why not in Baxter? Because Baxter is very remote and has serious winter conditions and because it is a wilderness Park with real rules that are actually enforced. You get in trouble in the whites you can probably find help in a few hours of walking and you will most certainly meet people. In Baxter you are pretty much ON YOUR OWN.

DavidNH