PDA

View Full Version : Undergarments for the Poor

wilsonspaz68
04-08-2009, 08:07
I'm heading out on my first backpacking trip next weekend. Shenandoah National Park, four nights. I am looking to go as inexpensive as possible, and I need clothes, including the undergarments. Any suggestions that won't break my bank?:banana

JAK
04-08-2009, 09:07
Thrift merino wool sweaters cost $20, from Marshalls or some place like that. From used clothing stores you can get fleece and wool items about $5 each. A loose light wool sweater and nylon hiking shorts is a good combination, with fleece pants as an extra later. For cheap light wind and rain layers look for cheap lightweight nylon, breathable for wind breaker, and waterproof for a rain layer. I got my current windbreakers from LLbean for $12 and $20, and they weigh about 4oz. For underwear, as long as you have fleece pants and long skin layers as backup, it doesn't hurt to have one pair of cotton flannel boxers, which can be soaked in boiling water and wrung out and dried every few days. Skin layers of wool or polyester can be bought for as low as $10, but typically $20, from places like Winners, or Marshalls, or Mardens, or even LLBean Outlet now and then. My hiking clothes are pretty much the same as I what I wear everyday, and they are pretty cheap except I do buy the odd handknit medium or heavy wool sweater now and then which might cost $100, but most of my clothing is $5-$20 and I only replace about one item a month now. Footwear is typically $40 a pair, maybe up to $80 if its something I really want to try. You can find 80% wool dress socks now and then very cheap like $2-$3 per pair, and are what I wear mostly, plus a decent medium or heavy smartwool socks for $10 on sale, which last a long time so you don't need more than 1 pair of each.

Good clothing is cheap, and functional.
Fashion outdoor clothing is expensive, and usually not all that functional.

Yeah, those icebreaker boxers are pretty awesome, but not neccessary.

skinewmexico
04-08-2009, 10:17
Walmart has great synthetic base layers (by Starter), for next to nothing.

bulldog49
04-08-2009, 10:20
I recommend two places, Campmor and Sierra Trading Post. Check out their websites, they always have great clothing deals, often on name-brand items.

Hoop
04-08-2009, 10:40
Check out thrift stores, you'll be surprised.

Valentine
04-08-2009, 11:14
Also take a ziplock back and some wet wipes.

Blissful
04-08-2009, 11:15
Check wally world, target, or salvation army / goodwill thrift stores.

Spirit Walker
04-08-2009, 12:10
All you need are one outfit to hike in and one to wear at night that will be warm and dry to sleep in. Next week will probably be cool, especially at night. (We're down in the low 30's right now in the flats at night, but 50's in the daytime. Expect at least 10 degrees cooler up in the mountains.)

For hiking clothes, I wear nylon or supplex long pants and a nylon t-shirt and/or nylon/polypro long sleeved shirt. For a jacket, look at thrift stores for fleece or microfiber or go for a wool sweater if you can't find a jacket. Raincoat - Frogg Toggs are cheap, or you can buy a coated nylon jacket at REI for not a lot of money.
Are you looking for longjohns or just bra and pants? I don't use special underwear, just my normal bra and cheap nylon underwear. For four days, two pairs of underwear should do. For nighttime, REI or Campmore can sell you some decent polypro long underwear for not a lot of money, or you can check a thriftstore for a nylon long sleeved turtleneck. Avoid cotton if there's any chance of rain (in SNP there's usually a chance of rain.)

saimyoji
04-08-2009, 13:09
go commando. :p