PDA

View Full Version : Nest & No Sniveling quilts - little help pls?

Goalkeeper31
06-03-2004, 12:32
Need some explanation (and pics would be helpful! :D ) on these two. I poked around a bit, but I'm still not really clear on this.

If I get it right:
* the "Nest" is the Peter Pan/Smee Underquilt.

* the "No Sniveling" quilt is an "over" quilt (?). Who makes it? Is it a one-off of Sgt. Rock's making?

Thanks. I hope I'm not a total noob :bse .

SGT Rock
06-03-2004, 12:50
There are pics in the site's photo section.

Both quilts are made by Jacks are Better (Peter Pan and Smee). They weigh approximately 18.2 ounces and come with a 0.6 ounce stuff sack and a set of 1.0 ounce elastic suspension cords (I have not weighed the newest version of the cord)

Basically it is a DWR shell with 1.5" loft using 800 fill goose down. The both have a velcro system to form a foot box so they can be used as a 40 degree quilt. They both have a system of holes or slits that allow you to use them as your cold weathr clothing as well. The basic idea is you are either in or out of your hammock. While you are in it you don't need a down vest, so the quilt goes under the hammock, and when you are out of the hammock you really don't need the quilt under there, so you can use them as a piece of down insulation.

The main difference is the Nest has a slit that goes over the opening for easy entry which also allows the quilt to be used as a vest. The No Sniveling Quilt is not a standard model yet as I understand it - I think they have only ever made two of them. The No Sniveling Quilt does not have a slit, just a head hole that closes with velcro. It is a little harder to get into the hammock with the NSQ, but it doubles as a poncho liner type clothing option.

I really like mine. I have been using it as my sleeping quilt lately with very good success. As an underquilt I really haven't hit low temps yet that would require it. I have worn it as a vest on Roan Mountain - VERY warm. I could wear it under my Packa or a poncho for even better protection.

NSQ as a sleeping quilt (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2819/password/0/sort/1/cat/all/page/1)

Nest under hammock (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2879/password/0/sort/1/cat/all/page/1)

NSQ as a poncho (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2818/password/0/sort/1/cat/all/page/1)

Nest as a vest (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2800/password/0/sort/1/cat/all/page/1)

I plan to eventually do a full review on my site.

stieg
06-03-2004, 13:21
I got my Nest a little while ago. I haven't yet had it out in the woods :(. I'm hoping to do that in a couple weeks!

It's a really nice quilt. It's rectangular in shape and has a velcro slit that mirrors where the HH one is when it's hanging. It hangs with bungee cord and small carribiners. They just sent me a smaller/lighter cord to substiute for the original (really big) cord. They say it weighs around 19 ounces. I don't have a scale.

It has velcro on the outside edges of the lower portion so you can synch up and velcro the quilt making it into a quasi-Arc Alpinst. It should be good to 35-40 degrees in this capacity.

When hung underneath the HH it attaches to the main cord and has loops that go around the side tieouts. It fits really well and the velcro on the quilt can be velcro'd to the HH velcro. I'm not sure if it's better to do this or leave each set of velcro to itself. I think it would be warmer when you leave the quilt velcro'd to itself. But it works well either way, so temps could decide how you deal with that.

The quality is really high. It's a nice quilt! JacksRBetter have been really good, they sent me the new cord this week and shipped it when they said they would.

I highly recommend the quilt. It's a quality, versatile piece of gear. I was thinking of making a quilt and this one is almost exactly like the one I dreamed up. For the price and quality, it's much better to buy this one and save yourself the headaches!

Order one!

peter_pan
06-03-2004, 21:32
Rock, thanks for the good explanation of the two quilts.

For all concerned. The No Sniveler was made for Sgt Rock because of his thoughtful input back in the design phase. Actually, I had been wanting a head hole quilt for a long time but was too lazy to do it....until the clamor began. Both of these quilts work superbly as under quilts, or top quilts or wearable camp clothes. It is really a matter personal preference. The Nest is easier to use as a HH under quilt IMHO. The no sniveler is a super top quilt. Personally I use one of each.

BTW, The extreme light versions of these quilts with HH extreme lt racer and custom 8x8 0.9 oz silnyl tarp in custom python skins took second place in the homemade gear contest sponsored by Backpacker Mag at TD. Total system shelter and sleep - 60 oz or 3.75 lbs :bse

Both models are avaliable, same price, $199, $10 SH and 4.5 % tax if in VA. current backlog...5 weeks

we expect to have our web sight up in a week or so.

MedicineMan
06-03-2004, 22:22
Just to let all know who are following The Nest, after this last weeks hike from Buena Vista to Rockfish Gap I now have 15 nights with The Nest under me (actualy trail use and not in the backyard) and am not only satisfied but confident in it. Its one thing to see advertisers praise the virtues of a certain product but yet another to actually get/want to use them. The Nest is an excellent underquilt but we've really used it as a typical quilt when napping in the shelter and as a throw/vest to simply knock off the chill while in camp. I am looking forward to winter to test its limits, to nestle it into the Speer Pea Pod and the Hennessey Winter Solution. Truly multifunctional.