PDA

View Full Version : Camera, battery life

Walk On Boy
04-08-2009, 10:24
I've just purchased a nice camera for the PCT. It uses re-chargeable batteries though. I realize that using certain features can quickly drain the battery, but does anyone have any clue how long one battery will last? I'm thinking about carrying 2 extras and sending my charger in the bounce box. Is this enough? I'm hitting the pct in less than 2 weeks.

Valentine
04-08-2009, 10:57
not to be rude but...RTFM. all cameras are different not to mention you have not posted what type of camera you have.

Walk On Boy
04-08-2009, 11:20
RTFM? I'm not a teenager. I don't understand these stupid things (not to be rude).
It's a Nikon P6000. The battery is a Nikon EN-EL5 3.7V. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience using re-chargeable batteries on any trail, but mainly the PCT.

Tennessee Viking
04-08-2009, 11:26
It will depend on how much you use your camera. And really depends on how much you use your camera's LCD or flash. You can extend battery life by turning the LCD off, not scrolling through your photos at the end of the day, and by forcing the flash not to flash unless needed.

Lithium ion batteries will last longer. But once its dead, you have to charge it. Extra Lithium ion batteries tend to more expensive, and take a little longer to charge.

Rechargeable batteries don't last as long. But the advantage with cameras with these batteries is that changing out dead batteries are easy. You can carry a small charger and a couple extra sets, and you are go.

Chenango
04-08-2009, 16:49
not to be rude but...RTFM. all cameras are different not to mention you have not posted what type of camera you have.

BTW, what does RTFM mean?

Chenango
04-08-2009, 16:50
BTW, what does RTFM mean?

But, I can Google. read the friendly manual.

Valentine
04-08-2009, 17:35
According to Nikon it is 260 shots.
Extreme temperatures will adversely affect this number. There are now portable solar panels at reasonable prices.
You may be better just finding a cheap camera that takes AA's. There are solar kits that come with rechargable double AA's.
That number (260) will likely go down the older the battery.

Valentine
04-08-2009, 17:42
Based on CIPA industry standard for measuring life of camera batteries.
Measured at 23°C (73°F); zoom adjusted with each shot, built-in flash fired with
every other shot, image mode set to Normal.

bigcranky
04-08-2009, 19:37
I shoot a lot, so I would take 2 extra batteries and actually carry the charger. (On the AT I carry 1 spare and the charger.)

Walk On Boy
04-09-2009, 08:48
Thanks. Anyone want to buy a Nikon P6000? It's reeeeal niiiiice, and brand new.

bigcranky
04-09-2009, 11:19
Thanks. Anyone want to buy a Nikon P6000? It's reeeeal niiiiice, and brand new.

Change your mind on bringing it? I carry a heavy Canon G7 on my hikes, with a spare battery, spare cards, and the charger. Total weight 17.5 ounces. Makes great photos, and in my mind it's worth its own weight.

Walk On Boy
04-09-2009, 13:51
That's good to hear. I've changed my mind. THanks.

WalkingStick75
04-10-2009, 23:13
I made my own battery charger out of a solar yard light. Worked great for me in the Alps, I had my camera and GPS. Took LOTs of pictures, GPS kept my track every day for two weeks.
BTW did not work well on the AT in Maine, too much tree cover.

Snowleopard
04-11-2009, 11:22
It sounds like a great camera for the trail. I especially like the builtin GPS marking your pics with the location.

For battery life, minimize use of the LCD screen. Carry spare batteries -- look on ebay for cheap batteries.

2 reviews:
http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3751
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_canon_g10_v_nikon_p6000.php
--Walter

Kerosene
04-11-2009, 13:59
Cold weather (below 40F) definitely takes a toll on batteries. I found that on one cold morning, my digi-cam thought that my recently recharged battery was dead, but apparently it was just resting as it worked fine once everything warmed up a bit.

200-300 shots sounds about right, especially if you limit use of the LCD as well as frequent on/off and zooming. Any mechanical, video and flash action has an inordinate impact on the battery.

I've found that two batteries last me about a week in the wild, without having to worry about LCD usage and the like. Think about putting your charger in a bounce box.

Jester2000
04-11-2009, 23:44
I took a pantload of photos on the PCT last year. Battery on my camera was a proprietary rechargeable. I carried one spare and bounced the recharger.

The only time I ran out of battery power was going into Wrightwood, and that's because I was shooting video with my waterproof still camera because it was snowing.

I'd recommend taking one spare, not reviewing your photos over and over, not deleting photos until you get to town, not editing photos until you get home.

I'd also recommend having a blast.

WalkingStick75
04-12-2009, 00:05
That looks like a sweet camera, anyone know how well the GPS works in wooded mountains?