PDA

View Full Version : Are there signs about hostels visible from the AT?

minnesotasmith
06-03-2004, 12:51
I am hoping to NOBO the AT starting in Jan. or Feb. 2006. All I have managed to hike related to the AT is the Approach Trail starting at Amicalola (I just moved to GA), not counting 63 miles of it in Boy Scouts in NC 20 years ago. I was wondering if there are signs visible from the AT indicating hostels are nearby, or if you have to be aware of them from trail guides, searching on the Internet in advance of your hike, etc.

papa john
06-03-2004, 13:20
There isn't supposed to be any signage on the trail for any commercial ventures (except where the trail goes right past the establishment). I noticed in some of the shelters in NC that motels and restaurants are now leaving advertisements in the shelters. Hopefully, this will be addressed and these ads removed. You should rely on guidebooks to find these of-trail services that you require.

My 2 cents worth.

Papa John

gravityman
06-03-2004, 13:59
I am hoping to NOBO the AT starting in Jan. or Feb. 2006. All I have managed to hike related to the AT is the Approach Trail starting at Amicalola (I just moved to GA), not counting 63 miles of it in Boy Scouts in NC 20 years ago. I was wondering if there are signs visible from the AT indicating hostels are nearby, or if you have to be aware of them from trail guides, searching on the Internet in advance of your hike, etc.

Almost everything you need to know about lodging will be in the guide books. No need to try to research and record info on hostels from the internet. Although it can be useful to know of "must stay" places, like Kincora!

Gravity man

Footslogger
06-03-2004, 23:08
Occasionally you'll see a business card or sheet of paper inside of a plastic cover pinned to a tree that advertises a hostel. But as already stated ...most of what you need to know about hiker hostels is contained in the handbooks.

'Slogger

06-05-2004, 23:55
In most place there are no signs. Most every hostel will be in the guide books. Also, look at the shelter regester before a road crossing. They will often have comments from SOBO's of what is offerd in towns.
In response to another post. Signs at trail crossings are often allowed. It is up to the district ranger in the area. Often the parking area at trail crossings is under the control of the forrest service and is not (at least on papper) considered part of the AT. I know some rangers who incourage people to but up signs. Not sure if that is good but I understand why?