PDA

View Full Version : Flea and Tick Treatments

Bootstrap
04-08-2009, 11:54
I've been using Frontline. I always wonder if it's not a bit too expensive, I don't know how to compare its effectiveness to other treatments.

What do y'all use?

Jonathan

skinewmexico
04-08-2009, 12:00
On myself? Or my dog?

Valentine
04-08-2009, 12:08
frontline. But it's really not approved by the FDA:)

Valentine
04-08-2009, 12:09
The way to cut costs is skip it during the coldest months of the year, say Jan and Feb

rlharris
04-08-2009, 18:22
I use Frontline Plus on my dog monthly during tick season (April/May through October/November and bimonthly the rest of the year. It is effective protection against fleas for up to ninety days.

sasquatch2014
04-08-2009, 18:41
I have been using Advantix and it seems to be doing the job so far. I also had him get the Lyme vaccine.

ChinMusic
04-08-2009, 18:44
With Frontline the ticks will still attach to your dog but they will die shortly after. I just pulled about 20 off my dog after a trip to Big South Fork last week......all were dead or movin' real slow (even for a tick).

Rouen
04-08-2009, 18:57
I use frontline plus, I dont bother treating during the cold months(December to March).

LBJ
04-08-2009, 19:27
If you are talking about protecting yourself, use permeritherine(sp?) to treat your clothes and outside of tent.

Two Speed
04-09-2009, 09:27
Hmmm, I can see how you might make that assumption. Being the naive type I thought Bootstrap was referring to his dog, but I could be wrong.

Bootstrap?

ChinMusic
04-09-2009, 12:13
It's in the "Dogs on the Appalachian Trail (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=439)" forum. I don't think it's too tough to figure out.

LBJ
04-10-2009, 09:51
Sorry, didn't know what thread I was in, I just go to "new posts" and start reading.

superman
04-10-2009, 10:29
I've been using Frontline. I always wonder if it's not a bit too expensive, I don't know how to compare its effectiveness to other treatments.

What do y'all use?

Jonathan

Frontline is way to expensive. I just shave a patch of fur and light Winter on fire. When the fleas and ticks run into the clearing I stab them with an ice pick.:)

Two Speed
04-11-2009, 11:58
Sorry, didn't know what thread I was in, I just go to "new posts" and start reading.Don't sweat it. As long as the kidding around is good natured it ain't no big thang.

Wise Old Owl
04-11-2009, 13:44
The way to cut costs is skip it during the coldest months of the year, say Jan and Feb

Or buy on -line, and I just found two ticks yesterday on the dog, not me.

technical76
04-14-2009, 01:31
I can't STAND ticks... pulled one off my dog about 2 weeks ago that was already about 3/8" in diameter. Went and got some frontline that afternoon and have been doing checks about every other day since and so far no more ticks and no fleas. Is there any other methods besides the frontline or similar treatments? Maybe pills or a shot or something? One time I took my dog in for a routine check-up and she had a few fleas and I think they gave her a shot... wonder if that works for ticks too. I'm gonna call the vet tomorrow and ask I'll let you guys know what they say.

Bootstrap
04-14-2009, 07:36
Frontline is way to expensive. I just shave a patch of fur and light Winter on fire. When the fleas and ticks run into the clearing I stab them with an ice pick.:)

I've been looking for a lightweight ice pick on Campmor, but I can't find on light enough to carry on a hike. Which one do you use?

kayak karl
04-14-2009, 08:27
my Vet, well my dogs vet, sent me a coupon yesterday. 25% off frontline. i also skip the winter for both dogs and cats.

berninbush
04-14-2009, 11:08
I bought the 12-pack of Advantix on www.1800petmeds.com (http://www.1800petmeds.com) . You can save some money by buying online in bulk that way. Unfortunately, in southeast Texas, we don't get much of a break even in winter, so I've been treating my dog year-round (and for heartworms too... most untreated dogs get heartworms here, unfortunately).

Hartz had cheapo over-the-counter flea meds, but they had to recall them several years ago... apparently they were making dogs and cats seriously sick.

Of course there's anti-flea shampoo and dips, but it's just not the same. The monthly topical treatments are the best.

I just camped with my dog this weekend. As far as I can tell, she didn't pick up any ticks. On the other hand, I pulled one off myself. It had dug in right over my ribs. :mad: