PDA

View Full Version : What to bring?

Wesley Russelburg
04-08-2009, 12:13
I'm planning a trip to hike through the Smokie mountains along the AT .i was wondering if any one has any ideas on what to cook and bring along with me? i know the rules about campfires so i went ahead bought a MSR pocket rocket and some extra tanks along with it. I don't know what would be best to cook in the mess kit i have, its fairly small. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Two Tents
04-08-2009, 13:44
Ramen noodles, lipton sides, pouch tuna,chicken, powdered peanut butter (from packit gormet .other good stuff here too) almonds, beef jerky, jelly,bagels, flatouts or pita bread,inst oatmeal,inst mashed potatoes (add bacos or soaked jerky) candy, cheese,dried fruit- that is just some of what I carry, Good luck! see you out there! Happy trails! Two tents.

Wesley Russelburg
04-08-2009, 15:11
Thanks man

Jack Tarlin
04-08-2009, 15:15
Wesley:

A traverse of the Smokies via the A.T. takes most folks 6-7 days. Even if it takes you a bit longer, you'll certainly be able to do this with one cannister of fuel. The Pocket Rocket is a very efficient stove.

As for what sorts of food you might like, there's a whole section of Whiteblaze devoted to Food. If you go there and look at some of the threads, I'm sure you'll get all sorts of ideas on what you might like to eat, and what's popular with hikers. Just keep in mind that you'll want to bring along stuff that's lightweight, easy to prepare, quick to prepare, and packs a lot of calories. Oh, and in all likelihood, you'll only have one cookpot, so keep things simple.

Wesley Russelburg
04-08-2009, 15:23
So one MSR canister should last me the whole trip? Is that for lunch and dinner or just at night sometimes for dinner?

Jack Tarlin
04-08-2009, 15:30
Most folks don't cook a hot lunch, but even if you do, a cannister (not the smallest one) of fuel should still last you thru the Park.

Good tip: Make sure your cookpot has a lid of some sort, even if it's just a piece of tin foil. Then whenever you cook a meal, turn your stove OFF 3-5 minutes before your dinner is done cooking. Keep the lid on tight, and your meal will continue to finish cooing, and all excess liquid will be absorbed. By doing this every time you cook, you'll save at least a few days worth of fuel over the course of 2 weeks; those "saved" minutes add up. Most folks let their meals sit for a bit and "cool off" after they're done cooking anyway; by shutting your stove all the way off and letting it sit for a few minutes, you'll have fully cooked meals; will have a few minutes jump on the "cooling off" process; and will get yourself a few extra days out of your fuel cannister. But in any case, one full cannister should get you thru the Park.

Wesley Russelburg
04-08-2009, 16:01
Thanks Jack