PDA

View Full Version : Final advice before my thru

hoover1
04-08-2009, 13:00
I have been reading white blaze for awhile, but I figure it is time to post for some final advice before I leave for my thru. I am in college and trying to complete it in a summer. I will start at Springer on May 7th and have to come off the trail August 20th. I realize this will be a big challenge, but I have been backpacking my whole life and sectioned parts of the AT in TN and NC so I don’t feel completely under-prepared. My goal is of course to make it to Maine, but if I don’t make it then so be it. But no matter how far I make it, you can’t beat a couple of months on the AT can ya?
I am here for a bit of advice from you all about ways to achieve my goal. Maybe there are some things I haven’t thought about etc. Some tips for high mileage days? Certain places to take my time and others to try and bust out some miles. I have also included my gear list…any advice? Also, I plan to buy my food as I go. Any advice on stocking up extra when the next town stop is a long hitch off the trail as to skip that town or will the added weight slow me down more than the extra time to hitch and buy food? You guys get the idea of the advice I am after. Thanks for the help!
Osprey Atmos 50
REI Halo 25+
Therma Rest Ridgerest short
MSR Hubba no footprint

Pocket Rocket or Snow Peak giga?
Fuel
MSR Duralite w/ lid
Spork
MSR Mini-works (most likely to be traded for aquaira but ill at least start with it)
48 oz. Nalgene and 32 oz. poweraid
Cord to hand food bag

Pants
Shorts
Two short sleeve hiking shirts
Three pairs of socks
Salomon XA Pro Trail runners
Warm hat

Headlamp
Extra batteries
Small bic Lighter
Earplugs
Camera
Camera Charger
Phone Card w/ numbers
ID
Credit Card
Cash
TP
Epi pen
Guide
Tooth Brush and paste
Soap maybe?
Tiny Knife
new testament
Hiking poles
duct tape
Watch maybe?
No pack covere so three dry sacks (one for tent sleeping bag and clothes, one for food, one small one for everything else ie. Headlamp, tp, guide etc.)

Two Tents
04-08-2009, 13:24
It sounds like you will have nothing but high mile days to finish in your time frame! good luck and happy trails- Two tents

Blissful
04-08-2009, 13:39
I'm assuming you're allergic to bees?
Might want some Advil. Don't have much listed in regards to first aid.
Pocket rocket is a good stove
Not sure on your water bottle system. You need plenty of accessible water on your hike in the summer or you'll be stopping to load up and thus cut your mileage.
Might take a fleece top.

You'll have a tough time making it in your time frame and risk injury. I'd take it easy and have fun. Do the rest the following year. Why kill yourself and miss out on so much?

Gaiter
04-08-2009, 13:42
switch out one of the short sleeve shirts for a long sleeve.... send the long sleeve one home (or throw it away) when its warm enough

have fun, listen to your body, just becaues you have a time limit don't push yourself to hard and cut your hike short, the trail will still be there if you run out of time....

happy trails

Tenderheart
04-08-2009, 13:57
You're right! You do have a challenge. Just remember to take it easy, easy at first. If you go out too hard, too fast, too long, too soon; then you will likely crash and burn. Big mileage days will come. Give yourself time to adjust. As for gear, you will learn what you need and what you can forgo. One can debate all day, but only you know what works for you. Besides, as you know, you can completely re-outfit in 28 miles. Good luck. You are about to undertake a life-changing endeavor. I truly hope you make it.

klitefoot 2000

bigcranky
04-08-2009, 14:16
A long hike is a head game. Understand the real reasons you are out there, and you'll make the head game easier.

Don't quit after a bad day. You'll have plenty of bad days, and you don't want to quit, right? If you've had several great days in a row -- good weather, good miles, great food -- and you still want to quit, then maybe it's time to go home. (Or maybe it's time to drag out that list of reasons why you are out there, and think about them.)

Hike at a reasonable pace -- whatever that happens to be for you, but not too fast -- but hike long days. Get started before sunrise, to hike in the cool part of the day, and take your long break at midday. Then hike again until sunset. The long daylight hours will help a lot with this. The long break in the middle of the day helps your body recover, and makes those 20+ mile days easier. I like to take a 2-3 hour break, eat my main meal of the day, do chores like cleaning my clothes, personal hygiene stuff, and even take a nap.

Make sure you eat and drink enough. Dehydration will sap your energy and your determination very quickly. Not eating well takes longer to hurt you, but then it's harder to fix. You have to feed the machine.

Good luck, have a GREAT time, and enjoy the experience.

garlic08
04-08-2009, 14:42
I did that pace last year and it ended up being a fun hike. I wish you luck in your attempt.

Some tips:

a) Buy food as you go, and try cookless--it will save time and hassle getting fuel.
b) Minimize your town days and time in town. At that pace, you can skip a few towns. For instance, my first town stop was at Franklin, over 100 miles from the start. I did several 100-mile food carries to avoid hitching.
c) That pack and tent would have been too heavy for me to carry at that pace, but I'm much older and the lighter weight was critical for me. Lighten your load as much as possible.
d) Don't try to walk really fast, but keep a sustainable pace for long days. Try to hike two hours at a time with short breaks. Get up at dawn, hike 5-6 miles in two hours, eat breakfast, two more hours of hiking, have a snack, two more and have lunch, etc, and by dusk, a 24-mile day goes by quickly and well. The key is to be able to do that day after day. Don't wear yourself out on extremely long days. If a day isn't going well, don't sweat it.
e) Manage your water weight. Don't carry more than you have to. If you're successful at keeping that pace, you often won't have to carry any at all. But drink very well at the good water sources.
f) Stay healthy! Keep clean, stay away from sick hikers, don't share food, be religious about tick checks, eat well, stay hydrated, sleep well, etc.
g) Have a good time. Treat yourself to good meals, good lodging, stop at shelters to meet hikers (but don't sleep there (my preference, at least)), take the time to talk to people you meet, etc.

chrishowe11
04-09-2009, 07:48
don't look at your feet when hiking... always be looking forward always

good luck to you

Pacific Tortuga
04-09-2009, 08:20
Just have fun.

flemdawg1
04-09-2009, 11:55
Rain gear, towel/bandana?

maguirebaseball
04-09-2009, 18:50
Hey Hoover! My bro and I are hoping to do a college summer thru. We'll be on Springer May 20ish. Gotta finish by around your time. Perhaps we will cross/share paths. Good Luck out there.

Spock
04-09-2009, 19:17
With 103 days to cover 2174 miles, you will have to average over 21 miles per day. That means nearo days instead of town days. And it means pushing. Eat and drink well and often during the day and you'll travel farther easier. Get in shape before leaving -- at least do one 25 mile day per week for several weeks - with pack.

You might consider cutting your weight further. Plastic pop bottles instead of Nalgene (one filled at a time, not both if water sources are ahead), tarp instead of tent, Aquamira instead of filter, one long-sleeve shirt instead of 2. No-cook meals will save you a LOT of weight. Instead of extra batteries for headlamp, consider a Microlight. Buy batteries for the headlamp when the AAAs run out or just use the Microlight. (Put an alligator clip on it and clip to your cap brim.) You will be hiking during the long summer days. Use the sun instead of headlamp. Nighthiking is not as safe as day hiking and it is slower. Use the night to rest. Train yourself to get up in dusky dawn - before the trip.

Re-read Garlic08's and Bigcranky's posts. All good advice.

Watch? yes, a cheap, lightweight, mid or small size. Put a wrist compass on the band. Soap? A 2-3 oz bottle of Dr. Bonner's or Camp Suds. Keep clean and you will stay healthy.

And don't forget socks. Ankle socks are lighter and you don't need the tops anyway. Consider a wool T or very lightweight pull-over insulated vest; it can get cold in them hills- even in summer and especially in the White Mountains.

Spock
04-09-2009, 19:19
Oh, yeah. Rain gear. Consider DriDucks, waterproof, very breathable, cheap and very lightweight. Take only the jacket - 7 ounces. it will serve as wind protection as well as rain protection.

stranger
04-10-2009, 08:32
I find that as long as I get going early in the morning, I can do big days relatively easy. It's when you hit the trail around 10-11am, like leaving town for example, that you tend to struggle to pull a 20.

Also, many hikers do short days out of town, I guess the thinking being you are fully loaded so might as well take it easy on day one. But for me I've always liked doing 20's straight from town, even early into the trip, I find it rewarding personally.

Remember as others have stated, hiking is largely mental, and if you can condition yourself to think of a typical hiking day as 23 miles, then you will be able to pull that day after day after a while. In the meantime, it's all about discipline - and that can't be taught in my experience.

Don't worry about losing time in towns that are far off the trail, it's not unlikely that you will be able to get in and out of a town like Hiawassee (9 miles off the trail) faster than say a town like Front Royal (4 miles off the trail) - remember you're not walking into these places - hopefully!

You're gonna have a blast!