PDA

View Full Version : Firearms on the trail?

Il Duce
04-08-2009, 14:34
Just wondering how many of you bring along some personal protection?
How about the ladies?

Lone Wolf
04-08-2009, 14:40
lots do but they ain't gonna announce it

Il Duce
04-08-2009, 15:00
Very True...imma try this a different way

Tipi Walter
04-08-2009, 15:03
For Odin's sake, let's not rehash this tired old horse chestnut.

Il Duce
04-08-2009, 15:06
For Odin's sake, let's not rehash this tired old horse chestnut.

I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse...but inquiring minds, ya know?

Homer&Marje
04-08-2009, 15:54
Search forum: Guns on the trail.

I love a good anti gun argument any day but I'm going to tend to agree...dead horse.

BigFoot2002
04-08-2009, 18:36
I have a New York concealed carry permit and it is not valid in the county the AT runs through in New York, or in NYC or Long Island. Any other type of permit in NY is very very hard to get.

Generally, if a place is so dangerous I might need my gun - I don't go there. I've never felt safer then on the AT.

Hooch
04-08-2009, 18:40
http://www.groggie.com/clips/Other/Animated/Beating%20a%20Dead%20Horse.gif

Slimer
04-08-2009, 19:25
You would be surprised at how many carry firearms on the trail. Its more than you think.

Engine
04-08-2009, 19:55
I own many firearms, for many different purposes including self / home defense. I have never even considered carrying on the trail though. I backpack to get away from the crud of society as much as any other reason, and to carry a weapon beyond what is at hand seems like I'm bringing it with me.

That and as a new dedicated UL hiker I cannot imagine carrying a 2-3 pound item for "what if" when I cull 1 ounce items from my load that are infrequently used. :rolleyes:

Jester2000
04-08-2009, 20:12
Just for the record, hitchhiking is legal in New York.

I'm not sure about the hitchhiking laws in New York at the present time, but when I thru-hiked in 1992, it was illegal. Also, a friend who thru-hiked in 1999 or 2000 was given a citation (ticket) for hitchhiking in New York. He was able to talk his way out of it only because he is a former police officer.

Apologies to the moderator (and readers) for thread drift in a Staight Forward Thread, but just so there's no confusion (or to prove that there is), here's the law:

"Sec. 1157. Pedestrians soliciting rides, or business.
(a) No person shall stand in a roadway for the purpose of soliciting a ride, or to solicit from or sell to an occupant of any vehicle."

Police in New York WILL cite you based on this. Those who say you CAN hitchhike in NY base it on how "roadway" is defined. But argue with an officer about it, and see what happens. You may win in court, however.

It is completely illegal, by the way, to hitch on the NY Thru Way.

As for guns, I say leave 'em at home.

Feral Bill
04-08-2009, 20:26
I'm not sure about the hitchhiking laws in New York at the present time, but when I thru-hiked in 1992, it was illegal. Also, a friend who thru-hiked in 1999 or 2000 was given a citation (ticket) for hitchhiking in New York. He was able to talk his way out of it only because he is a former police officer.

At least we're in agreement about the handguns.

NY statute, the same since at least the 1960s- " § 1157. Pedestrians soliciting rides, or business. (a) No person
shall stand in a roadway for the purpose of soliciting a ride, or to
solicit from or sell to an occupant of any vehicle."

"Roadway" explicitly does not include the shoulder of the highway, just the driving portion.

Some police officers are either ignorant or lawless, I'm afraid.

As for hanguns, I am much too lazy to pack.

Also sorry for the thread drift.

Tipi Walter
04-08-2009, 20:33
I own many firearms, for many different purposes including self / home defense. I have never even considered carrying on the trail though. I backpack to get away from the crud of society as much as any other reason, and to carry a weapon beyond what is at hand seems like I'm bringing it with me.

That and as a new dedicated UL hiker I cannot imagine carrying a 2-3 pound item for "what if" when I cull 1 ounce items from my load that are infrequently used. :rolleyes:

I would like to see the UL wing of the Whiteblazers chime in here and strongly criticize the carrying of a heavy piece of gear that is not used daily and might bust their 10 pound skinout weight. I get blasted for recommending carrying a heavy tent over a lightweight tarp, and so I wonder where's the ULers to blast apart the whole notion of carrying a heavy firearm?

Engine says it best: "As a new UL hiker I cannot imagine carrying a 2-3 pound item for "what if" when I cull 1 ounce items from my load . . ."

attroll
04-08-2009, 20:36
This is the straight forward forum. It is designed to stay on topic. The questions was asked How many carry firearms for personal protection. He did not ask about laws and personal opinions.

wrongway_08
04-08-2009, 20:46
Maybe I do ..... Maybe I dont.... more then likely its maybe I do.... or not...... care to mug me and find out ..... :) .....

KMACK
04-09-2009, 00:55
I do. It is not in my pack so I dont count it as part of my pack weight.

Engine
04-09-2009, 05:21
I would like to see the UL wing of the Whiteblazers chime in here and strongly criticize the carrying of a heavy piece of gear that is not used daily and might bust their 10 pound skinout weight. I get blasted for recommending carrying a heavy tent over a lightweight tarp, and so I wonder where's the ULers to blast apart the whole notion of carrying a heavy firearm?

Engine says it best: "As a new UL hiker I cannot imagine carrying a 2-3 pound item for "what if" when I cull 1 ounce items from my load . . ."

And this bothers you how? First the tarptent deal and now this, did I somehow poop in your cornflakes?

Jaybird
04-09-2009, 06:18
Just wondering how many of you bring along some personal protection?
How about the ladies?

WOW!
how many times is THIS QUESTION gonna be asked?

See ya'll out there May 1-14 Harpers Ferry to Swatara Gap, PA w/ "Model-T" & "Jigsaw"..........with or without your gun!:D

Engine
04-09-2009, 06:43

In fact, what I said needs to be read in it's entire format to be accurately understood. You don't get to cut and paste only what makes your point seem valid. Here's the whole message, see how it comes across very different from what you had me sounding like:

"I own many firearms, for many different purposes including self / home defense. I have never even considered carrying on the trail though. I backpack to get away from the crud of society as much as any other reason, and to carry a weapon beyond what is at hand seems like I'm bringing it with me.

That and as a new dedicated UL hiker I cannot imagine carrying a 2-3 pound item for "what if" when I cull 1 ounce items from my load that are infrequently used. :rolleyes:"

See what I mean. If you intend to quote me I don't mind but please don't twist things to mean what you want. I haven't been a member here very long but it seems to me that any time the term UL comes up you get your panties in a wad. Tipi, I could care less how you hike your hike as long as you are enjoying it and not being harmful to others. Why should those of us who choose to hike light be viewed any differently?

Tipi Walter
04-09-2009, 08:26
And this bothers you how? First the tarptent deal and now this, did I somehow poop in your cornflakes?

Point is, where's the ULers on this subject of carrying a weapon? How does it fit into their ultralight worldview? Simple question.

In fact, what I said needs to be read in it's entire format to be accurately understood. You don't get to cut and paste only what makes your point seem valid. Here's the whole message, see how it comes across very different from what you had me sounding like:

"I own many firearms, for many different purposes including self / home defense. I have never even considered carrying on the trail though. I backpack to get away from the crud of society as much as any other reason, and to carry a weapon beyond what is at hand seems like I'm bringing it with me.

That and as a new dedicated UL hiker I cannot imagine carrying a 2-3 pound item for "what if" when I cull 1 ounce items from my load that are infrequently used. :rolleyes:"

See what I mean. If you intend to quote me I don't mind but please don't twist things to mean what you want. I haven't been a member here very long but it seems to me that any time the term UL comes up you get your panties in a wad. Tipi, I could care less how you hike your hike as long as you are enjoying it and not being harmful to others. Why should those of us who choose to hike light be viewed any differently?

Even after using your entire quote, the fact remains that you don't carry a weapon in part due to UL considerations. Nothing wrong with that, I just expect more ULers to jump in and discourage weapon-carrying based on their UL reasoning and philosophy. Isn't one of the UL tenets, and a backpacking tenet as well, to not bring anything that isn't used every day? I've heard this advice many times here at WB over the years. And so why carry something in the pack that is rarely or never used and becomes dead weight on the trail? As much as the gram-obsessed ULers fixate on the tiniest reductions in gear weight(the NeoAir comes to mind--9 ounces!!), you'd think they'd have some strong negative opinions about carrying, as you say, a "2-3 pound item."

BTW, at first I thought Franco wrote your post. It's a tag team!!

Engine
04-09-2009, 08:51
BTW, at first I thought Franco wrote your post. It's a tag team!!

:) - No animosity here ...it's just important to me that my message be taken in the proper context. To be sure you understand where I'm coming from, I have been backpacking since the mid 70's (a child at that point, admittedly) and until a recent severe injury to some ribs and a shoulder I have always hiked with a traditional load of 40+ pounds. That would not be very fun with the pain it causes now, but in my search for a way to continue doing what I love, the UL methodology seemed the only answer.

As for the OP in this thread, even before my move to UL I have never considered carrying a firearm on the trail even when in Grizzly country, it just wasn't part of what I wanted the experience to be about.

Lastly, Tipi, I do respect your considerable experience on the trail. And I enjoy your blog and trail journal, but I ask that you don't generalize with respect to the UL mindset. We both enjoy the same thing, we just have slightly different ideas regarding how to go about it.

Il Duce
04-09-2009, 11:08
Oh, I think ya'll misunderstood me...I was talking about a super soaker. That can be duel use. Water storage/container and feral cat deterrent:p

attroll
04-09-2009, 11:15
Moved to the General forum.

Il Duce
04-09-2009, 11:50
OP went off topic, ha

f8lranger4x4
04-09-2009, 20:39
Every time