PDA

View Full Version : LT hostles

jlore
04-08-2009, 17:00
having never been to vermont, how much can i expect to pay per night when i'm not on the LT as in hostles and motels?

thanks

stranger
04-17-2009, 00:55
Town services along the LT are not like the AT, so expect to pay quite a bit more because most towns have B & B's, not motels or hostels. There is one hostel outside of Johnson called Awesome Hikers Hostel or something like that, but other than that you are probably looking at around the $50-100 per night at most B & B's, more in the fall.

The Inn at LT at sherburne pass has a hiker discount of around $50 outside of the fall/winter season, a must stay in my view.

Manchester Center has Suttons Place, around $50-70 I believe.

Johnson is mentioned above

Richmond has a couple B&B's, ranging around $100 I believe.

Not too sure about Stowe or places like Waitsfield or Jeffersonville

I remember way back in 1994 thinking the towns were expensive on my first hike, and prices will have gone up quite a bit by now, a new end to enders guide is due out soon I believe, could already be out - a good place to start looking.

Low Impact
04-17-2009, 07:57
I hiked the LT in 07 and the Southern 100 miles again on my AT hike in 2008.

I can tell you for sure that there are quite a few expensive places to stay along the Long Trail in Vermont, but there is also a good selection of inexpensive hostels.

Here is a quick rundown:
Manchester Center - Green Mountain Hike Hostel (new for 2008). Donation.
Rutland - 12 Tribes Hiker Hostel. $15 or work for stay.
Johnson - Awesome Hiker's Hostel. Not sure of the price.

There is also a GREAT little B&B in Jeffersonville (just outside of Johnson) called Nye's Green Valley B&B. I stayed there in 07, and the owners were very hiker friendly. They gave my hiking partner and I a great rate and a ride back to the trail in the AM.

Go ahead and purchase the Long Trail End-to-End planner. All of this information should be in there for 2009.

Have a great trip.

Quoddy
04-17-2009, 09:15
Richmond has a couple B&B's, ranging around $100 I believe.

The two I am acquainted with in Richmond were $45 a night in 2007. Mama Bowers and Mrs Lajoie (backup when Mama Bowers is full). Both very friendly folks and nice accommodations. There are one or two others which were over $100 a night, but they weren't set up to be hiker B&B's.

stranger
04-18-2009, 03:17
Just be wary of any advice from Low Impact, he once thought it was a good idea to hike 41 miles starting in the rain at 2am... good to see you brother!

Jeff
04-18-2009, 09:34
Green Mountain House Hiker Hostel operates July 5th thru Labor Day this year. We would love to have you stay with us when in Manchester Center.

Also, Bennington has several folks who put up hikers. Check with the outfitter in town, Natures Closet.

rcli4
04-18-2009, 09:54
We stayed at the Hydeaway in Waitsfield. 33 bucks included breakfast. Jan Liteshoe ate so much she got our moneys worth with food alone. Can't recommend the apple pie.

Clyde

jlore
04-18-2009, 22:14
very helpful, thanks for the replies!