PDA

View Full Version : Business Cards

Miner
04-08-2009, 22:03
For my thru-hike I was thinking of having some business cards printed up to give out to people with my contact info and was wondering what people thought.

I was thinking that I would include:
Trail Name
Real Name
Website/journal
email address

Should I include my mail address or just write it on the back when I want to give it out to someone?

McKeever
04-08-2009, 23:17
I wouldn't carry the weight. Just get yourself a godaddy domain name that's easy to remember, make your self a web site, and tell your new friends.

Here's one of mine www.bugsalivein75.com (http://www.bugsalivein75.com)

Mckeever
MCSE

Survivor Dave
04-08-2009, 23:20
For my thru-hike I was thinking of having some business cards printed up to give out to people with my contact info and was wondering what people thought.

I was thinking that I would include:
Trail Name
Real Name
Website/journal
email address

Should I include my mail address or just write it on the back when I want to give it out to someone?

If you go to www.vistaprint.com (http://www.vistaprint.com) , you can get 500 free cards. All you pay is S/H. I think my first set was $3.99.

Wise Old Owl
04-08-2009, 23:45
Go for it, but only take 25 with you.....

JDCool1
04-09-2009, 00:01
I have met several hikers who have made cards similar to your idea. really came in handy for them to just give a card. But like WOO suggested, take only a few at atime forwarding the others with your bounce box or put in to your mail drops an additional supply, that will save a few ounces.
Have fun

rainmakerat92
04-09-2009, 00:07
If you go to www.vistaprint.com (http://www.vistaprint.com) , you can get 500 free cards. All you pay is S/H. I think my first set was $3.99.

I can second that; I've used VistaPrint on several occasions, and they do a good job. There's no "catch" that I can see, just a small amount of advertising on the back of each card.

D'Artagnan
04-09-2009, 10:22
I'm a big fan of VistaPrint. Never, ever had a problem with them and you'd be hard pressed to beat the price.

Blissful
04-09-2009, 10:29
I think having cards to pass to other hikers, etc is a great idea and a way to stay in communication after the fact. I got my done at Vistaprint also. Great company.

garlic08
04-09-2009, 10:33
Another vote for Vistaprint. I kept waiting for the catch and there was none. My hiking partner and I did a fund-raiser hike and the cards were a great way to spread the word.

BipolarStroller
04-09-2009, 10:39
I don't recommend putting your address on there, it could fall into the wrong hands(creeps, stalkers, house robbers) and keeping only a few so not everyone and their brother finds you. If you're on trail journals, folks will find you. In '07, I think it was Ramblin' Rose that used those address stickers for envelopes on the trail journals, which would be convenient when they are passing it around and you don't feel like writing.
But yes, the card idea is cool, especially for networking when you get home.

Blissful
04-09-2009, 10:42
Creeps will find your address, phone # etc anyway on the Internet... sad but true.

Survivor Dave
04-09-2009, 10:53
I don't recommend putting your address on there, it could fall into the wrong hands(creeps, stalkers, house robbers) and keeping only a few so not everyone and their brother finds you. If you're on trail journals, folks will find you. In '07, I think it was Ramblin' Rose that used those address stickers for envelopes on the trail journals, which would be convenient when they are passing it around and you don't feel like writing.
But yes, the card idea is cool, especially for networking when you get home.

Creeps will find your address, phone # etc anyway on the Internet... sad but true.

Agreed.

shoe
04-09-2009, 11:04
the only catch I ever had with Vistaprint was the endless # of emails I got from them.

I think the card might be a good idea but I would just rather write the info in my journal so I don't have to worry about losing someone;s info

Jester2000
04-09-2009, 18:52
I think it was The Old Fhart who had little stickers printed up. They were cool, 'cause they had a total trail profile in the background, and hikers he gave them to could just stick them in the back of their journals so they wouldn't lose them.

The Old Fhart
04-12-2009, 13:36
It looked like this:

Jester2000
04-12-2009, 15:52
I don't recommend putting your address on there, it could fall into the wrong hands (creeps, stalkers, house robbers, Jester) . . .

Hey! What the #@*%!

It looked like this:

Yeah! Very cool!

(Oh, by the way, I changed the first quote for my own amusement. Don't anyone go attacking BipolarStroller)

sasquatch2014
04-13-2009, 08:53
I just did the vista print thing for the free just SH cards. I have just been using my business card but they get expensive and then I don't seem to have one when I need to give it to a client.

I plan to hike down in VA at the ned of May last year it was April when I was down that way. I like to be able to give out my info so as hikers make it up my way they can give me a call and we can set up for them to get a ride to the grocery store, The real one not the short term supply in town. The real grocery store is now about 6 miles from the trail in Pawling NY. I have also had hikers call me to see if I could get them to thee train stop in town during the week that type of thing.

I figured that this card will help make that process simpler.

warraghiyagey
04-13-2009, 08:55
but I would just rather write the info in my journal so I don't have to worry about losing someone;s info
Agreed. . .

Desert Reprobate
04-13-2009, 20:57
Most office supply houses stock blank business cards. You can print up your own very easily.

catfishrivers
04-13-2009, 21:00
Get a rubber stamp of the business card made and carry that instead, and just stamp em as you go on whatever paper you have.

wrongway_08
04-13-2009, 21:08
I made cards for myself to hand out to other hikers,paintballers, kayakers, Jeepers.... take the extra time to coat them in plastic. Walmart sells a heat machine (cost about $25.00), takes onlys seconds to water proof them and they last a lot longer in the pockets or packs of hikers.

Wise Old Owl
04-13-2009, 21:33
Get a rubber stamp of the business card made and carry that instead, and just stamp em as you go on whatever paper you have.

I can see it now, folks with "stamped" foreheads going down the trail!:eek:

Why a Laminator?

sasquatch2014
04-14-2009, 09:28
I can see it now, folks with "stamped" foreheads going down the trail!:eek:

Why a Laminator?

Because it is something hot that he can burn himself on when he uses it with out adult supervision.

TJ aka Teej
04-14-2009, 10:08
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7247&c=member&imageuser=314

EZ1 had cool stickers printed up ^

YoungMoose
04-14-2009, 10:46
Get a rubber stamp of the business card made and carry that instead, and just stamp em as you go on whatever paper you have.thats a good idea. Then you wont have to worry about paying for stuff. also it would most likely be a little lighter.

Rockhound
04-14-2009, 11:02
I would never carry business cards on a hike. I'd feel like I was campaigning. Almost everyone carries a pen and paper. What's wrong with that? If you make a deep enough connection with someone with whom you would like to keep in contact with surely you can take the time to jot down a Number and vice versa. I know there is a social aspect to the trail but when I hike I'm looking to make a connection with nature and not go out networking.

The Weasel
04-14-2009, 17:19
Cards? Business cards to hand out along the trail? Gosh. And people talk about us lawyers trying to hustle business just by following a few ambulances. If you're carrying cards, are you going to hike in a suit and tie? Perhaps with a briefcase? How about V-Cards, which we can all share with our Blackberries in the shelter at night?

Instead of writing things down. Yeah, I know that is so....what is the term?...."low tech."

Business cards. On a thru hike. Who woulda thunk it.

The Weasel

sasquatch2014
04-15-2009, 14:14
Well I will say it's good for me as a local to be able to hand them out that way they can be passed off to others who may need a hand when they get into my area. As far as the Blackberry, well the number of times that while visiting at the Telephone Pioneer shelter folks have wanted weather forecast, MTA schedule, or to send a quick email it has been very handy.

I went and did the vista print so the card will be AT specific and not something that is with me and work. I was glad over the winter to receive at work a summit card from some hikers I helped the only address that they had was my work address.

max patch
04-15-2009, 14:23
Business cards. On a thru hike. Who woulda thunk it.

Business cards and stickers were used by a handful of thru hikers 20 years ago. Maybe even longer than that; thats just when I first started noticing them.

ShoelessWanderer
08-06-2009, 20:36
Most office supply houses stock blank business cards. You can print up your own very easily.

Yeah, you can do that. But with Vista it ends up being cheaper to let them do it. You can't even buy 500 blank business cards for $4 bucks, by time you add in printer wear/tear and ink...you're better off with Vista.

Oh and keep an eye out for their specials. Recently I got 250 cards for $5, including shipping without the advertisement on the back. I organize a local hiking group and am also the outings chair for our Local Sierra Club. I ALWAYS had people asking me for my email or cell number. So much easier just to hand them a card!

Wise Old Owl
08-06-2009, 20:52
I would never carry business cards on a hike. I'd feel like I was campaigning. Almost everyone carries a pen and paper. What's wrong with that? If you make a deep enough connection with someone with whom you would like to keep in contact with surely you can take the time to jot down a Number and vice versa. I know there is a social aspect to the trail but when I hike I'm looking to make a connection with nature and not go out networking.

I understand where you are coming from and unlikely as you are to see this again - You ask what is wrong with that? - It is clear you are uniformed about the origin or original purpose of the card. Here is a deeper understanding......

http://www.belightsoft.com/products/composer/history.php