PDA

View Full Version : Post Offices...w/ a Twist

SigEp
04-09-2009, 01:35
So it seems the general consensus is PO's are a pain. My problem is though my family is most likely willing to buy food for me and ship it to me, which can save me a lot of money...right? So my question is, given my family will partially support the cost of food for me, should I use PO's? Also keep in mind I'll be doing an "inexpensive thru hike"- basically bare bones (costwise). Thanks!

Gaiter
04-09-2009, 02:35
p.o.'s aren't that bad except for when you come into town and ya gotta wait till they are open again on monday

but po's aren't the only place you can ship to, most hostels and a good no. of hotels accept drops if you plan on staying there....

if your family is willing to do all this for you, its sounds like a definite way to save your own money
or just talk them into giving you the money (which would be cheaper because they won't be paying for postage) and you can buy as you go...

fiddlehead
04-09-2009, 04:52
PO's can be a great thing when you need something sent.
Don't rule them out just cause many hikers say not to use them.
Keep an open mind is always best.

Not sure what i'd do without postal service worldwide.
They are certainly a lot cheaper than UPS, FedEx, and the rest of those companies that do all the advertising.

Rain Man
04-09-2009, 09:33
When my daughter did her thru-hike in '04, she arranged for various members of the family to ship her care packages, as a way to involve them in her hike. Once she ran through those members of the family, then her mom and I sent boxes the rest of the way. I think we all shipped to Post Offices without any problems. If I recall, one box got lost up north or got there late or some such and it was never found nor returned to us. Otherwise, things went well.

So, our experience with POs was good.

Rain:sunMan

Ox97GaMe
04-09-2009, 09:36
There will be a number of towns that you will be planning to stop at to resupply. Give them that list. I only received one mail drop package on my trip, but the cards and letters that I got along the way were very nice.

If the post office is closed when you get to town, you can always have any packages that are there forwarded to the next town. As long as the package hasnt received and opened, the postal service usually will forward it to a nearby location at no cost (or used to). you would just need to call when you get to the next town and arrange that.

Also, I like the idea of having family send money instead of food. Check various options, as you dont want them sending cash in the mail, and out of state checks can be hard to cash. Look into money orders or cashier checks as an option. I wouldnt have them wire money, as that adds too much in fees.

bulldog49
04-09-2009, 10:09

Also, I like the idea of having family send money instead of food. Check various options, as you dont want them sending cash in the mail, and out of state checks can be hard to cash. Look into money orders or cashier checks as an option. I wouldnt have them wire money, as that adds too much in fees.

Why send money in any form through the mail? Just have them transfer funds to you checking account and use your debit card.

Doctari
04-09-2009, 10:15
I only have "Missed" one PO being open when I arrived on Sunday AM. Turns out I really needed a Nero that day anyway so, , , ,

Blissful
04-09-2009, 10:40
POs are not a pain. It's just that a majority of people who converse on WB think they are pain. Whether they used them or not for a thru, not sure....

I did fine with them, though I would use less of them next time I go out, esp if there are big chain stores and supercenters nearby to resupply. For other areas, if you have family willing to ship and provide you with what you need and a diversity of good nutritious food, go for it. I did both, shop (mainly for perishables like cheese, tortillas, pepperoni etc) and maildrops (mainly for premade dinners with dedydrate veggies and meats, a roll of TP, etc and my medicine).

EverydayJourneyman
04-09-2009, 15:09
When my daughter did her thru-hike in '04, she arranged for various members of the family to ship her care packages, as a way to involve them in her hike. Once she ran through those members of the family, then her mom and I sent boxes the rest of the way. I think we all shipped to Post Offices without any problems. If I recall, one box got lost up north or got there late or some such and it was never found nor returned to us. Otherwise, things went well.

So, our experience with POs was good.

Rain:sunMan

I was hoping my drops would also get friends/family involved. As I mentioned in the other thread, I think I'm going to go ahead with the first 3 post office drops and reevaluate from there.