PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito Netting?

Il Duce
04-09-2009, 12:37
Is mosquito netting necessary for a NOBO thru hike if I am leaving in 2 weeks?

Cannibal
04-09-2009, 12:42
IMO, yes! Summer is summer and the bugs will be out. You could probably get by with long sleeves and pant legs or a deet bath before bed, but a bug net would be easier.

Il Duce
04-09-2009, 12:46
IMO, yes!

That being said, has anyone tried to attach the netting to their tarps.

Like running a line of glue down the center of the tarp longways and then have the netting glued to the tarp with about a half inch strip of adhesive.

In theory, I'm thinking that when the tarp is staked out, the netting will fall nicely to the sides of my hammock?

What ya think guys?

Turtle2
04-09-2009, 12:46
$1.88 At my local Walmart

JaxHiker
04-09-2009, 13:30
Hmm, maybe my mental picture isn't right. If it's down the center won't it fall in the middle of the hammock? I forget which hammock you said you have but I'd think your best option is to run a ridge line for the netting with velcro along the hammock edges. You'd drape it over the ridge, attach the long edges to the hammock, then close the ends off.

If you attach the netting to the tarp you'd need a piece for each side so you have an enclosed "tent" if you will. How long do you make your netting sides? You'd have to account for extra or you'd be restricted in how you could pitch your tarp. I think you'd be limiting yourself too much attaching it directly to the tarp.

Spider
04-12-2009, 21:41
Definitely. Nothing more annoying than moquitos.

Wise Old Owl
04-12-2009, 21:53
Cant sleep without it, above PA the mossies get really bad. Enough to keep you up past three am. Been there done that... Hate mossies!

In a pinch Byers Moskito.

Oh click on my name then gallery,

you will see a Byers

JaxHiker
04-12-2009, 22:16
Don't forget Permethrin. I love the stuff.

Tinker
04-12-2009, 23:03
Is mosquito netting necessary for a NOBO thru hike if I am leaving in 2 weeks?

Most definitely!

I got bitten on the bottom of my feet at the Blue Mountain Shelter in Ga. in mid March by something that I'd call a blackfly if it was up north here. Painful!

Wise Old Owl
04-12-2009, 23:09
Hmm, maybe my mental picture isn't right. If it's down the center won't it fall in the middle of the hammock? I forget which hammock you said you have but I'd think your best option is to run a ridge line for the netting with velcro along the hammock edges. You'd drape it over the ridge, attach the long edges to the hammock, then close the ends off.

If you attach the netting to the tarp you'd need a piece for each side so you have an enclosed "tent" if you will. How long do you make your netting sides? You'd have to account for extra or you'd be restricted in how you could pitch your tarp. I think you'd be limiting yourself too much attaching it directly to the tarp.

A picture is a 10k word thing,,,,, I discovered the Byer is reversable and you can sleep on the other side if you do not want the netting.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/200804.jpg

Pokey2006
04-13-2009, 01:51
You won't encounter mosquitoes until July or Aug, and not until you get to PA, or further north. Most people don't have a problem until Mass. Leave the bug net at home, and have someone mail it to you when you need it.