PDA

View Full Version : last minute questions

Mandrew
04-09-2009, 16:33
Hello everyone,

I plan on starting a Northbound hike next week, and my main concern is my stove. I tried a few different homemade stoves and they didn't quite work out. They would get water hot, but not to a full boil, or be very slow, or something or other. Anyhoo, I was wondering if anyone knows how I can pick up an alcohol stove or something along the trail, if that is in fact a possibility. I have an older, much heavier coleman stove I could always bring if I have to, but I'd rather use a lighter one, and I don't know if I can mail that home if I start with it and decide to ditch it and blah blah blah.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, how difficult/time consuming is it to hitch hike into town? What about returning to the trail from town? What is the usual method for that?

I'm also looking for advice on mail drops. They are expensive, but I'm wondering if they are worth it, since there are grocery stores in towns that would have a post office anyway, right?

Thanks for reading! Again, any input is greatly appreciated! I leave Monday.

Love,
Mandrew

Lone Wolf
04-09-2009, 16:48
Pocket Rocket canister stove

Red Hat
04-09-2009, 16:57
You can pick up a stove at Neel's Gap, about 3 days in. See what they recommend (alcohol or canister like the Pocket Rocket). Plan on no stove foods until then. Hitching into town can take minutes to hours... depends upon where you are, who you are with, and who happens to be driving by. Don't worry about it. Don't recommend mail drops, easier to buy as you go.

traildust
04-09-2009, 16:59
Stoves - Lone Wolf recommends a good one. There are as many stoves out there as opinions. Several threads here on Whiteblaze can be searched for a multitude of recommendations. Get a new one that is light weight.

To drop or not to drop. Plenty of trail towns with stores. Again, plenty of threads here on mail drops including recommendations. Cost of mailing a package is going up. I vote buy on the trail.

Hitch - Depends on the location and weather. Again, read a few trail journals or threads here. Many more locations to get to down south.

Bottom line - hit the search button here and read some past forums on these subjects. Lots of wisdom to be gained.

Best of luck on your hike.

emerald
04-09-2009, 17:02
Also, how difficult/time consuming is it to hitch hike into town? What about returning to the trail from town? What is the usual method for that?

The time spent varies from none to hours. Sometimes, you can secure a ride before you reach a road crossing simply by asking. Other times, you may begin to wonder if anyone will ever stop.

Someone may remember a good thread to recommend. Otherwise, try the search feature. You're sure to find helpful advice on this topic which comes up often.

BigFoot2002
04-09-2009, 17:27
Use whatever home made stove (don't forget to use a windscreen) works best for you until you get to Neel Gap. Shop around there until you find what works for you.

Keep the mail drops to a bare minimum. Consult Baltimore Jacks advice in the AT re-supply articles section on the front page of this site.

Have a great hike

vamelungeon
04-09-2009, 17:31
Most of the people I've seen that had trouble with an alcohol stove not getting hot enough were using plain old rubbing alcohol for fuel. If that is the case, go down to your local paint store and buy some denatured alcohol, and try your stove again.

Pedaling Fool
04-09-2009, 17:38
Hello everyone,

...Any advice would be much appreciated...
One foot in front of the other -- it's that simple.

McBride
04-11-2009, 20:07
I'm on the trail now (in Irwin) and have had great luck with the super cat stove, the one made from a cat food can. It boils a liter of water no problem and is super small. Like the other guys said neels gap is only a few days in and they have a couple of alcohol stove options as well as the normal canister stoves and such. Personally I think the alcohol stove is the way to go but its up to you.