PDA

View Full Version : Gregory Jade Vs. Atmos 50

Speakeasy
04-09-2009, 19:34
Hi - I'm getting my gear together for a 2010 NOBO hike and I've narrowed my pack choices to either the Gregory Jade or the Atmos 50. I realize the Atmos is unisex but I'm not a very curvy woman so I don't think I would have a problem. I'm just looking for some opinions or observations about either of the packs... Thank You :o

Nrvana

bigcranky
04-09-2009, 19:51
Osprey makes a women's version of the Atmos, called the Aura. It's not just curves, it's shoulder width, hip and waist measurements, etc. In my wife's experience, Osprey does a good job with women-specific suspensions.

But you'll need to go try them all on with all your gear. Really.

Blissful
04-09-2009, 19:53
I used the jade. Made out fine with it. Best bet though is to go to an outfitter when you have your gear assembled and try them out.

Speakeasy
04-09-2009, 20:18
I have almost all my gear together and plan on heading to REI to try on some packs. Based on research and specifications I've tried to narrow it down so I don't have to try on packs that I have eliminated. Blissful, can you tell me what you like about the Jade?

Speakeasy
04-09-2009, 20:25
I used the jade. Made out fine with it. Best bet though is to go to an outfitter when you have your gear assembled and try them out.

Blissful - I look forward to your input when I post my finalized gear list ;)

kanga
04-09-2009, 22:00
i have the jade 60 and like it alot. very comfortable. plenty of room. the suspension systems the bomb. like the pockets the most. two on the hip belt and the top is huge.

The Will
04-10-2009, 01:33
I know this is a little off topic but I thought I'd throw it in there for your consideration since you are still shopping. Feel free to disregard.

The whole idea of these concave frames that leave an airspace for your back are much better on the drawing board than on the trail (my opinion). For a day pack it might be alright but for a multi-day pack it really sets the weight away from your body, altering center of gravity all the more and forcing you to compensate w/increased forward lean. In my experience, even using a pack the size of the Atmos 35 on an overnight trip the weight displacement was noticeable. This can be compensated for somewhat by hanging a water bladder in that space (possible w/the Osprey, but I don't think on the Jade).

BUT, I concede, these packs are very popular. Maybe try them on w/35lbs in them and try another pack that has a frame that is closer to the back for comparison.

BTW, have you looked at Deuter packs? After looking closely at the Osprey and Gregory models you mentioned, I decided on a Deuter pack for the girlfriend--no regrets.

Re: air circulation on the back. This use to be one of the divisive points between external frame packs and internal frames. Air circulation sounds attractive. I have always thought that if I'm humping a pack up a mountain I am going to be sweating regardless of a space at my back. Again opinion.

silversleep
04-10-2009, 02:24
i have the atmos 50 so i'll chip in my two cents.

the load lifter straps were designed to bring the center of gravity closer to your body so the pack isn't tugging on your shoulders. i find they work great when used properly.

i've used my 50 on multi-day hikes and stay very cool across my back even with a bladder in the cavity. hey, the empty void is there, why not use it, right?

but i do have some gripes. the lid's zipper eats the lid flap. the cavity zipper gets harder to zip over time as the material settles. the outer zipper stitching is stretching the holes where it's sewn into the body.

these aren't huge issues right now, but they could develop into problems in the future.

Speakeasy
04-10-2009, 08:00
I know this is a little off topic but I thought I'd throw it in there for your consideration since you are still shopping. Feel free to disregard.

The whole idea of these concave frames that leave an airspace for your back are much better on the drawing board than on the trail (my opinion). For a day pack it might be alright but for a multi-day pack it really sets the weight away from your body, altering center of gravity all the more and forcing you to compensate w/increased forward lean. In my experience, even using a pack the size of the Atmos 35 on an overnight trip the weight displacement was noticeable. This can be compensated for somewhat by hanging a water bladder in that space (possible w/the Osprey, but I don't think on the Jade).

BUT, I concede, these packs are very popular. Maybe try them on w/35lbs
in them and try another pack that has a frame that is closer to the back for comparison.

BTW, have you looked at Deuter packs? After looking closely at the Osprey and Gregory models you mentioned, I decided on a Deuter pack for the girlfriend--no regrets.

Re: air circulation on the back. This use to be one of the divisive points between external frame packs and internal frames. Air circulation sounds attractive. I have always thought that if I'm humping a pack up a mountain I am going to be sweating regardless of a space at my back. Again opinion.

Do you remember which Deuter model you got for your girlfriend?

kanga
04-10-2009, 08:48

BUT, I concede, these packs are very popular. Maybe try them on w/35lbs in them and try another pack that has a frame that is closer to the back for comparison.

first off, you're contradicting yourself. the deuters also have the air frames so i'm not really sure what you're getting at.

secondly, my jade sits directly on my hips and funnels all weight there. no leaning forward whatsoever. in fact, i got the jade because it felt so good. i used to break horses when i was young and stupid and i broke my butt when i was 16. NEVER have i used a pack that did not make that worse until now. the way the jade suspension pushes down on my hips actually takes the pressure off my spine.
essentially the only time my back actually DOESN'T hurt is when i have my pack on. and it's been used with 30, 40, and 50 lbs.

kanga
04-10-2009, 08:54
here's the new version of my deuter. it's a little bigger than mine is and i use mine as a week-long pack in the summer. go bigger if you need it for winter hiking. you can get everything but your extra warm clothes in it.
if you look at deuter, which makes GREAT packs btw, look at the "sl" models. they are women specific.

http://deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=Futura34SL&sub=hiking&tert=futura

Speakeasy
04-10-2009, 14:57
here's the new version of my deuter. it's a little bigger than mine is and i use mine as a week-long pack in the summer. go bigger if you need it for winter hiking. you can get everything but your extra warm clothes in it.
if you look at deuter, which makes GREAT packs btw, look at the "sl" models. they are women specific.

http://deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=Futura34SL&sub=hiking&tert=futura

I checked this pack out (I have heard good things about Deuter) but the futura is a little on the small side - 2450 ci - for a thru hike. I could not find a women's version in a larger size. Have you seen a larger model somewhere else?

kanga
04-10-2009, 15:22
I checked this pack out (I have heard good things about Deuter) but the futura is a little on the small side - 2450 ci - for a thru hike. I could not find a women's version in a larger size. Have you seen a larger model somewhere else?
http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=aircontact60+10SL&sub=trekking&tert=aircontact

http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=ACT-Lite-6010SL&sub=trekking&tert=aircontactLite (doesn't have the same air contact suspension)

daddytwosticks
04-10-2009, 19:44
I also have an Atmos 50 and agree with all the pluses and minuses noted above. Space in the 50 is tight...When I use the Atmos 50 for a three day hike, it's bursting even with lightweight stuff like a Contrail, Prolite 3 short, WM Caribou bag, Titan kettle, Giga stove, gatoraide type water bottles, change of camp clothes, Thermawrap...etc. I wouldn't be able to squeeze in 4-6 days of food for a thru-hike. :)

The Will
04-10-2009, 20:58
kanga was right in pointing out that the Deuter packs also have space between the pack/back interface. However, the "space" allowing for air circulation on the Deuter is more of a channel. Comparing these channels to other packs that make full contact with the back you will notice that the channels are created by removing, or having less padding in the area of the channel and not by increasing the distance of the frame from your body.

The pack I choose for my girlfriend was the Deuter 45+10 SL. If you look up the pack on their website, click on the image of the pack to enlarge it. This also will give you views of the pack from different angles. You will clearly be able to see the channels that I refer to.

Good on ya for shopping and comparing.

http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=aircontactLite45+10SL&sub=trekking&tert=aircontactLite

Jayboflavin04
04-11-2009, 12:25
Met a thru-hiker that had and Atmos(last years model). I own a Aether. He asked me if I was having trouble with my Hip belt rubbing me. He showed me! at the top of his hip bone we was being rubbed raw! I dont know if his pack was fitted incorrectly or what. I appeared that the hip belt didnt wrap far enough around him!

Point being you may wanna look at something with and interchangable hip belt and adjustable suspension. The aether/ariel series has a fully adjustable frame and interchangable hip belt for a great fit. But they are heavier packs. Overall my aether is a very comfy pack, but heavier than I would like.

Speakeasy
04-11-2009, 17:42
Thank you all for your opinions. I think I'm leaning towards the Deuter 45+10 (after I try it out with all my gear of course). I have read some really good reviews about it. I was looking at the Deuter before but now I can't remember why I dismissed it...