PDA

View Full Version : Jonesville store to re-open

Deadeye
04-09-2009, 19:52
The store in Jonesville, VT is set to re-open in May, link to story below. I sure hope there's some sort of program to help soldiers who lose their businesses like this guy did. If you're going to risk your life for your country, you really shouldn't have to lose your livelihood, too.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009904080315

rainmakerat92
04-09-2009, 20:35
This is good to hear, it will be extremely helpful for those planning to hike the Long Trail. I have fond memories of resupplying there and lounging awhile when I hiked the LT in 2002. Thanks for posting.

Cookerhiker
04-09-2009, 22:29
I recall stopping in the store in the early 1980s. Great to see it open again.

vonfrick
04-10-2009, 00:19
great news! i wonder if he plans to stock any fuel, etc.?

vonfrick
04-10-2009, 01:00
just found the guy's contact via craigslist and sent off an email asking if he plans to carry any gear, fuel etc. if i hear back i'll post it here. warrghy and me are hiking the LT this summer (my 2nd time on it) and it sure would be nice not to have to go all the way into richmond or waterbury. last time i missed the PO by 15 mins and ended up walking into duck brook for the night then going back in the am to get my mail drop. and then of course walking back again...however it did give me time for a most delicious swim in the brook and a long nap!

TJ aka Teej
04-10-2009, 01:06
:welcome Long Trail Community Market!! :banana

vonfrick
04-10-2009, 11:25
well i heard back. he's planning on carrying anything anyone might suggest. i suggested he chime in here and gave him the link to the thread. my votes for butane canisters and chocolate milk. forgot to ask what the store hours are going to be- whoops :o

LTCommunityMarket
04-10-2009, 11:58
Hello Everyone!

I'm glad to hear you are all excited about the Jonesville store reopening. Our name, the Long Trail Community Market, is intended to honor the great community of hikers who travel through the town each year. In that spirit, I want the store to be a resource for YOU! We are going to have free wi-fi and computer access, hiking supplies, big outdoor benches in sunny spots, and excellent fresh food. Instead of everyone sending me individual emails with their thoughts, lets start to generate a list of categories; i.e. cooking equipment, sleeping accessories, clothing, hydration, etc...and under each category, the specific items pertaining to each. I can then generate a survey, pop a link up, and get everyones information in the most efficient way possible. I'll make sure there is a place for you to share your thoughts for the store. Thanks!

vonfrick
04-10-2009, 12:01
Hello Everyone!

I'm glad to hear you are all excited about the Jonesville store reopening. Our name, the Long Trail Community Market, is intended to honor the great community of hikers who travel through the town each year. In that spirit, I want the store to be a resource for YOU! We are going to have free wi-fi and computer access, hiking supplies, big outdoor benches in sunny spots, and excellent fresh food. Instead of everyone sending me individual emails with their thoughts, lets start to generate a list of categories; i.e. cooking equipment, sleeping accessories, clothing, hydration, etc...and under each category, the specific items pertaining to each. I can then generate a survey, pop a link up, and get everyones information in the most efficient way possible. I'll make sure there is a place for you to share your thoughts for the store. Thanks!

:welcome to whiteblaze!!!

vonfrick
04-10-2009, 13:39
store hours? how about a shuttle from the parking lot at the bottom of camel's hump?i felt lucky to get a hitch last time.

Quoddy
04-10-2009, 14:48
I'll look forward to stopping by the LT Community Market on my way through this year. But... the last time I spent my only zero day on the trail in Richmond and had such a good time that I may find it difficult to pass up. A suggestion for item to carry: batteries, mainly AA and AAA (a few of them being lithiums would be nice, too)

Kirby
04-10-2009, 15:06
I won't have a mail drop if everything is reasonably priced.

Mags
04-10-2009, 17:51
Coolness! That grocery store is such a good stop and very convenient.

vonfrick
04-10-2009, 19:50
Coolness! That grocery store is such a good stop and very convenient.

i KNOW!! i am so psyched. the run down the north side of camel's hump is superfun and now this! WOOT!

LTCommunityMarket
04-10-2009, 21:47
The shuttle would be an interesting idea. Any thoughts on the logistics of that? As we get closer to an opening date, I can also put out a price list on supplies so everyone can determine if it will be more convenient to do a PO drop or buy from the store...I'd also be willing to accept drops...we'll have better hours than the PO.

Kirby
04-11-2009, 17:34
I'd be willing to pay you a fee to hold my drop for me, if I do a drop.

vonfrick
04-11-2009, 21:01
The shuttle would be an interesting idea. Any thoughts on the logistics of that? As we get closer to an opening date, I can also put out a price list on supplies so everyone can determine if it will be more convenient to do a PO drop or buy from the store...I'd also be willing to accept drops...we'll have better hours than the PO.

publish your phone number. i know i'd call and be wiiling to pay for a ride :sun

Wise Old Owl
04-11-2009, 21:56
well i heard back. he's planning on carrying anything anyone might suggest. i suggested he chime in here and gave him the link to the thread. my votes for butane canisters and chocolate milk. forgot to ask what the store hours are going to be- whoops :o

Ben & Jerry Ice Cream?

LTCommunityMarket
04-11-2009, 22:08
We will definitely hold drops for free. Regarding a shuttle between local trail connections, I'm pretty sure we can find a way to make that a free service...I just need to look at how we could structure it. Ben & Jerry's...absolutely!

Frosty
04-11-2009, 23:15
We will definitely hold drops for free. Regarding a shuttle between local trail connections, I'm pretty sure we can find a way to make that a free service...I just need to look at how we could structure it. Don't worry about charging for a shuttle. Very few businesses have free shuttles and they are mostly lodging AFAIK. Going rate is about a buck and a quarter or a a buck fifty a mile. Don't forget that you'll be deadheading back to your place.

vonfrick
04-12-2009, 09:26
Ben & Jerry Ice Cream?

that goes withouot saying, it's vermont after all. :sun

Sly
04-12-2009, 10:06
Along with canister fuel (each brand thread typically fits all stoves), it seems most hikers are carrying alcohol stoves these days, the auto gas additive Heet (in the yellow bottle) works fine for this purpose as does denatured alcohol (usually sold by the ounce). You may also want to have a gallon of Coleman fuel (white gas) on hand to sell by the ounce.

Some hiker foods include Knorr's (fomerly Lipton's) Pasta Sides and Pasta Plus and rice dishes, ramen, instant oatmeal, energy bars, snickers, powdered milk, trail mixes etc.

warraghiyagey
04-12-2009, 10:08
It seems most hikers are carrying alcohol stoves these days, the auto gas additive Heet (in the yellow bottle) works fine for this purpose as does denatured alcohol (usually sold by the ounce) .

Some hiker foods include Knorr's (fomerly Lipton's) Pasta Sides and Pasta Plus and rice dishes, ramen, instant oatmeal, energy bars, snickers, powdered milk, trail mixes etc.
Definitely HEET in the yellow bottle. . . and of course Beer and Jerry's. . . :sun

LTCommunityMarket
04-15-2009, 19:53
If anyone has access to other hiking forums, blogs, twitter, facebook, alternative newspapers and periodicals, etc., it would be a great help if everyone could help us get the word out.

stranger
04-16-2009, 06:23
Very cool to hear the store in Jonesville is re-opening, I've visited the store on both my hikes back in the 90's.

I would recommend carrying: Lipton Noodle Dinners, which is now called something else I believe, Bagels of some capacity, denatured alcohol, coleman fuel, fuel canisters, cereal bars, things like that.

This is sooo good, oh and of course Ben and Jerry's.

Awesome that you're back around.

Stranger

Landshark
04-16-2009, 10:47
AWESOME! Welcome to the Long Trail Community! Can't wait to visit the store.

Kirby
04-16-2009, 19:04
I have a jetboil around here somewhere....only has 2,145 miles on it...

stranger
06-22-2009, 23:35
So is the store open? If not, do we know when?

Deadeye
06-23-2009, 22:04
So is the store open? If not, do we know when?

I drive by the store every day. The sign still says "coming soon", but it's been that way for months. I've been wondering if he's run out of funds, as there appears to be no progress.

vonfrick
06-23-2009, 22:22
i just emailed the guy yesterday hoping to send my maildrop there instead of the post office. i'm not going to share exactly what he said, but i'm not holding out much hope for it being there. :mad: hope i can get fuel in waterbury or something:(

stranger
06-23-2009, 22:58
Good to know, thanks

LTCommunityMarket
06-24-2009, 13:19
I just wanted to give everyone a quick update. We are hoping to open before the 4th of July. It's been an incredibly drawn out process (not on our end) to receive approval for our re-opening. It may be a few weeks after that until we have a decent selection of trail supplies-but it is a priority for us. Our kitchen is not up and running yet, nor will it be this season...so no famous Backcountry Pizza or gourmet subs quite yet...I will give an update on opening day.

oruoja
06-25-2009, 20:34
Stopped by today to check on the progress for the opening. The fella that will be running the business is quite ambitious and I wish him the best of luck. I live close by and am willing to help in order to be able to have the store be a success. The delay has a lot to do with the typical Vermont crushing bureaucracy which thwarts business here, but hopefully locals and hikers will help this business survive. We finally broke 80 degrees today and a plus of this store is that it is close by to some great swimming holes where the Huntington River empties into the Winooski River.

06-28-2009, 10:04
Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to stopping in around 7/22 on my NOBO.

pedxing
07-08-2009, 19:10
I wonder how I missed this thread. If all goes well I'll be through Jonesville in mid-august. If the store is open before I hit the trail (starting at least a couple weeks away from the LT), I'll definitely try to spread the word and plan on stopping in for some supplies.

jase
07-08-2009, 23:45
Dan (LTCommunityMarket), any update on projected opening? I drove by yesterday (7/7), and didn't seem you were open yet. Hope you get all that red tape cleared out and are able to open soon!

oruoja
07-22-2009, 04:53
Went by the Jonesville location yesterday and it looked deserted. Looks like it's a no go for this business, at least for this season. Also, the Coke machine outside the motorcycle shop is gone. It's the PO or a hump/hitch 3.5 mi west into Richmond for the closest provisions.

Quoddy
07-22-2009, 07:30
Went by the Jonesville location yesterday and it looked deserted. Looks like it's a no go for this business, at least for this season. Also, the Coke machine outside the motorcycle shop is gone. It's the PO or a hump/hitch 3.5 mi west into Richmond for the closest provisions.
Thanks for the update. It looks like I'll plan on the Post Office for re-supply. At least I know I'm reaching Jonesville mid week this time heading SOBO.

jase
07-22-2009, 14:21
I've spoken to the owner recently. They plan to open pretty soon.

Tinker
08-17-2009, 21:33
Is it soon yet???

jase
08-18-2009, 10:19
Passed by today on my way to Burlington. They're not open yet. There is, however, a new mural on the side clearly depicting the Incredible Hulk in drag. Who knew the Hulk was a cross-dresser? :-?

The owner writes a witty (but not especially detail-packed) blog about the market at http://rebelmarket.blogspot.com/ .

pedxing
11-14-2009, 14:29
Thanks for the link Jase - sounds like the market is entangled in some colorful local politics:

http://www.7dvt.com/2009jonesvilles-long-trail-community-market-raises-its-freak-flag-8212-and-neighbors-ire

http://www.7dvt.com/2009mary-houle-rescuing-richmond-or-ripping-it-apart

stranger
06-18-2010, 20:16
Anyone know the status of this market? Is it open yet?

vonfrick
06-18-2010, 21:20
Anyone know the status of this market? Is it open yet?

it never happened :(

the town of richmond is a short hitch west...don't miss the bakery. it was amazing!!!

NorthCountryWoods
06-29-2010, 12:18
The whole thing has been a comical drama. Friends that live nearby said the owner had great ideas, but few realistic solutions and was ill prepared for the difficulties of starting a business in VT. They are under the impression he stirred up a hornets nest with many neighbors and town officials, not just Mary Houle that he rants about.