PDA

View Full Version : Standing Bear to Hot Springs, NC

slow roasted
04-09-2009, 21:20
I'm planning to do the section between Standing Bear and Hot Springs. Six of us are hoping to make the trip and I am trying to decide whether or not to drop a car in Hot Springs (and where) or to get someone to shutttle us back to Standing Bear when we finish. It's a 4 1/2 hour drive from Huntsville, AL to the hostel and I understand it to be about 45 minutes drive to Hot Springs. Any suggestions?

There is the possibility that we have dogs with us as well!

10-K
04-09-2009, 21:27
There's a public parking area right in the middle of Hot Springs and you can arrange a shuttle with the outfitter right across the street (Bluff Mountain Outfitters). If you're unsure of where to park just ask the folks at the outfitters or you could even ask the local police - the police station is right there too.

I used Ronnie McGaha (http://www.bellsouthpwp2.net/m/d/mdron/mcgahahome.htm) for a shuttle when I hiked Davenport Gap to Hot Springs and that worked very well too. I wouldn't hesitate to use him again - nice guy.

That's a nice section - Max Patch is awesome.

SouthMark
04-09-2009, 21:29
Talk with Curtis at Standing Bear. When I did this section I parked my car at Standing Bear and Curtis shuttled me to Hot Springs to hike back to Standing Bear. Spent the night at SB before and after. $15 per night. Curtis is a real nice guy.

BobTheBuilder
04-09-2009, 21:31
I used Curtis for a shuttle last spring. He's a good guy and treated me well - no problem.

Ox97GaMe
04-09-2009, 21:32
There is trailhead parking in Hot Springs.

If you drive from Standing Bear to Hot Springs, it is fastest to drive over to Newport TN and then take US25 to Hot Springs. The trailhead parking is located down a driveway across from the elementary school when you first arrive in town.

Probably best to drive straight to Hot Springs, hike south, and have Curtis at Standing Bear Farms Hostel shuttle you back to HS.

mbanja
04-09-2009, 21:37
I did the same section as an overnight last Fall. I parked my car at the Hot Springs trailhead and got a shuttle back from Curtis' work for stay. Standing Bear's hard to beat! Your car should be safe at Hot Springs.

mbanja
04-09-2009, 21:41
Ok, just saw the part about six of you and dogs. Ain't no way you're all gonna fit in Curtis' beater nissan...

Ox97GaMe
04-09-2009, 21:51
actually.. only one needs to get a ride back to Hot Springs. That person can drive back to Standing Bear and pick up the remainder of the group, dogs included.

papa john
04-09-2009, 21:52
Curtis also has a good sized van.

slow roasted
04-09-2009, 22:14
Thanks, Hadn't considered going the other direction. I've stayeed at Standing Bear a couple of times, Really enjoyed it. Didn't think of only two of us going back to get the other vehicle.

Good stuff, that's why I'm here!

Chaco Taco
04-16-2009, 22:47
When are you doing this? Reason is that Curtis may need some heads up with it being his peak. Not sure if the van is running

Chaco Taco
04-16-2009, 22:48
Call him after 5

Rain Man
04-17-2009, 15:53
When my wife and I did that section, we started at Standing Bear Farm and had Curtis shuttle our car up to Hot Springs on the day we were finishing there. So, our car was safe at SBF over the weekend, but was in the parking lot in Hot Springs when we came out of the woods. Worked like a charm.

Rain:sunMan