PDA

View Full Version : Gregory z55 vs Osprey atmos 65 .. or?!

darkage
04-10-2009, 01:37
In the market for a new pack .... I have in down too those two choices really ...

I'm currently using a jansport big bear82, while i like it alot it has a few faults ... Requires adjustments abit too often .... It can get abit uncomfy after a few long miles from slipping ... I'm hoping to get something with a better suspension and updated molding's that breath ... Its a 5000cu and doubt i need 4000 anymore with the gear i've gotten over the last few years ... The gregory z55 large would be pushing it but it would help me keep my weight down ... the opsrey is 4200cu in the large ... both weigh a hair lighter than the big bear ... weight isn't a problem ... i just want a better pack with a better suspension and padding ...

Own one of these 2009 models? .... Lemme know what ya think! :banana

Wags
04-10-2009, 13:35
i owned the z55 for a short time, loved the pack, but didn't love the fit. i'm right on the border b/t medium and large torso length, but need a small hipbelt. so the gregory pack just didn't work for me. i too was looking at the atmos, but again faced the same issues.

i ended up w/ an osprey aether, large torso and small hipbelt (the aether's hipbelts are interchangeable and the atmos' aren't, as far as i know)... i'm happy w/ the osprey

darkage
04-10-2009, 16:28
Yeah, i'm really leaning towards the osprey atmos series ... the aether's just abit more pack than i need ... Campmor doesn't have the 09 series in yet, they got the 08's and no one else around here has um yet .... Should be another week or two i guess ... then i wanna go try it on and check it out ... but as far as info goes ... i'm really leaning towards the atmos 65 ...

Wags
04-10-2009, 22:36
have you been down to yeoldebackpacker yet? he's in port clinton, right off rt 78 (cabelas exit). he's got a good selection of stuff there

darkage
04-10-2009, 22:57
No i haven't ... i've heard about them now a few times ... the drive is the same to campmor or port clinton ... Next time i hike into or outta P.C i'll stop by an check um out ... which is often so.

BitBucket
04-10-2009, 23:09
try a Gregory Z65 rather than the Z55. I have both 2009 models and I think the Z65 is a better fit when loaded, although the Atmos 65 seems to be a little more flexible in packing...

Both are great packs that weigh within a few ounces of each other...

Wags
04-11-2009, 01:26
he usually has some ospreys and assorted granite gear, deuters, and a lowe alpine or 2. he recently told me he jsut got a few WM bags and some other new names. he'll be a better bet than campmor i'd almost guarantee it. i'd call ahead and make sure scott is there though before making the drive

darkage
04-11-2009, 12:28
Just called ye ole and they won't be getting the 09 stuff i'm interested in for another 2-3 weeks ... I'm in no rush so i told him i'd check back and stop down when he got the inventory in ... They will also measure and make sure the pack is 100% a good fit ... never had that done, suppose that wouldn't be a bad idea.

Thanks for reminding me to call them guys, they we're helpfull.

Homer&Marje
04-12-2009, 07:35
Just got the Atmos 65 a few months ago. Absolutely love the pack, takes a little learning on how best to pack it but once you've got it it's great. The very thin foam shoulder and hip straps are fantastic, thought they would be too thin but even carrying 25 lbs I felt light as air. Really good suspension in the back and is very breathable. I also like the zippered mesh pockets on the hip belt, much more convenient than the waste pockets, which are also still there.

Only downside I have found would be attaching my tent to the bottom. Not the best setup to keep your tent from bouncing around while attached, but I am currently looking for a much smaller, lighter shelter....so for UL'ers who have a sub 3 lb shelter already, it would be fine.

NCYankee
04-12-2009, 10:02
I won the z55 from Gregory. It is a comfortable pack and I can take it right to about 35lbs and be golden with it (I normally am running about 28-30lbs in it though). It is comfortable and moves well and is quiet compared with some other Gregory packs I have used.

I'm a big fan of it...