PDA

View Full Version : Wasilik Poplar...

Bronk
04-10-2009, 01:39
I took my first zero day at Rock Gap shelter and used the afternoon to walk down the half mile blue blaze trail to see the giant tree. I was amazed by how many people came up the trail and trudged on, refusing to walk a mile to look at a tree. Not one person that day went down to see it besides me.

This is probably the closest thing you're going to see to a redwood sized tree on the east coast...it is huge!

Pokey2006
04-10-2009, 02:13
Is that the one that's dead?

Bronk
04-10-2009, 06:15
It might very well be...there were only a few branches left at the top and it wasn't yet spring when I was there...it had about 100 years of people's initials carved in it. There probably wasn't a square inch that wasn't carved up within reach.

Marta
04-10-2009, 06:17
It was dead a couple of years ago when I went to see it; I imagine it's still dead. Very sad.

shoe
04-10-2009, 16:42
I'm one of the ones that opeted not to go see the tree.
If I recall I was just plain exhausted when I got there.
I figure I live close enough, I could drive up there and see it some other time.

Pokey2006
04-10-2009, 17:31
I also opted not to go down, due to exhaustion. I started down the hill, then decided I really didn't want to walk back UP the hill. I was glad I didn't when I later heard that the thing is dead. I imagine that's part of the reason why a lot of people don't go down to see it.

I've seen a lot of big trees. I've seen the redwoods in California. And I was happy with the giant oak trees I got to see on the AT. So, I really don't feel like I missed anything, not going down a hill to see a dead tree, big or not.