PDA

View Full Version : Why ?????????????

The General
04-10-2009, 10:59
I'm sitting in the hammock staring at the full moon rising in a crystal clear night sky and can hear wolves howling in the distance. The owls are hooting and the stream at the bottom of the hollow is doing its best to sing me to sleep. It doesn't get much better than today.

I just read the above paragraph in Green T's journal and am wondering WHY am I sat in an office :eek:

Foyt20
04-10-2009, 11:08
I dont know why you are "sat" in an office. A bad day hiking is better than the best day in the office :D

vonfrick
04-10-2009, 11:32
I'm sitting in the hammock staring at the full moon rising in a crystal clear night sky and can hear wolves howling in the distance. The owls are hooting and the stream at the bottom of the hollow is doing its best to sing me to sleep. It doesn't get much better than today.

I just read the above paragraph in Green T's journal and am wondering WHY am I sat in an office :eek:

sitting in an office bein glad you have a job maybe?

hikergirl1120
04-10-2009, 11:44
Sitting in an office earning money for your upcoming thru????

rainmakerat92
04-10-2009, 11:59
I thought something similar a long time ago at an office in Tampa, Florida. I never could find a satisfactory answer.

Something Henry Thoreau once said kept nagging at me, don't remember the exact words, but it was something like, "The true cost of any given thing is how much of your life you have to give up in order to get it". Somehow the house with the 30-year mortgage didn't seem worth it anymore. Sooooo..... I ended up quitting a high-paying job, sold the house and moved to the north Georgia mountains.

So, I suggest (if you value your job), don't think about it too long.......

NativePennsylvanian
04-10-2009, 13:40
Coyotes maybe, but he's not hearing wolves if on the AT.

Lost Boy
04-10-2009, 13:46
Here's a pertinent quote that I love:

"A tie is a noose, and inverted though it is, it will hang a man nonetheless if he’s not careful."
-Yann Martel

ASUGrad
04-10-2009, 14:14
They better not be wolves.

Better yet, take a job near the AT. That's what I did.

Pootz
04-10-2009, 14:27

I was thinking the same thing on Monday so I took 3 days off and hiked From New York 17A to NJ 894. It felt good to have the pack on and sleep in the woods.

Kirby
04-10-2009, 15:07
General, is that you?! I have not seen you since just north of Daleville!

Frick Frack
04-10-2009, 16:08
Good day General, ....ready for another "BREW HIKE" are you?

Silver Potato

4eyedbuzzard
04-10-2009, 16:30
...Something Henry Thoreau once said kept nagging at me, don't remember the exact words, but it was something like, "The true cost of any given thing is how much of your life you have to give up in order to get it"....

From Walden: "The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run."

Fiddleback
04-10-2009, 18:59
General --

I see you list North Yorkshire...where abouts? I spent two glorious years in Fellbeck (between Pately Bridge and Ripon). Brimham Rocks was outside my kitchen window.:)

FB

Mother Nature
04-10-2009, 19:17
General, is that you?! I have not seen you since just north of Daleville!

Hi Kirby and Hello General..

We haven't seen either of you since Pennsylvania!

Happy Trails

edbenton
04-10-2009, 19:17
:sun I agree, it is kinda like torture, but great memories. I too have back in the office this year. Keep hoping. Cheers! :sun

Sailor (The other one)
04-11-2009, 09:40
My wife and I are thinking along the same lines. We're thinking either cut and run now and take our chances, or plan and save and wait for the economy to improve.

Rainmaker, how has it worked out for you? Any regrets? Would you do anything different?

ASUGrad, same questions. And what kind of a job did you find?

DavidNH
04-11-2009, 10:55
You might want to consider this: if you answer the call and leave that office for the good life of the wild outdoors, it can be a whole lot harder to get back into the office.

Money or happiness. Why can't we have both? A question for the ages.

David

Pedaling Fool
04-11-2009, 11:13
Whatever you do don't ride a bike in Poland http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7994857.stm

Rockhound
04-11-2009, 13:41
An attachment to money and material possessions combined with your conformity to the ideals set forth by a capitalist society is why you are "sat" in that office. Economy Schmonomy. It is ridiculous how little you really need to be both comfortable and happy in this country. Tell your boss you're taking a sick day or week or month or year. Go for a hike.

Doctari
04-11-2009, 13:54
Yep! Good question!

I was reading my journals a few days ago, read about (& remembered) My worst ever day on the AT (or hiking for that matter) & remembered my best day at work. On a 1 - 10 scale the good day at work rated about a 4, the 'bad day hiking" a 6.5.
I nearly died of Hypothermia on the bad day, saved 3 lives (3 seperate incidents) on the good day.

Why am I not hiking?!? :confused:

modiyooch
04-11-2009, 15:36
You might want to consider this: if you answer the call and leave that office for the good life of the wild outdoors, it can be a whole lot harder to get back into the office.

David I think that I have both. I work hard, and I play hard. I sacrifice some of the income for solitude. I'm blessed that I have the opportunity to do this. For me, it comes down to priorities and backpacking is a priority. Needs to be a healthy balance between the two.

Rockhound
04-12-2009, 08:58

DavidWhy would one to reenter the cage after they escaped?

TrippinBTM
04-12-2009, 11:30
remember: there are two ways of getting "ahead" in life-- making more money, or reducing expenses. I've chosen the latter. It's just easier. Leaves more time for the real things in life: family, friends, nature, simple but tasteful food, etc.

Surplusman
04-13-2009, 06:12
Until October last year, I hadn't spent a night on the AT in almost 50 years. My first night was at Mt. Wilcox North shelter, and I was all by my lonesome. It was a starry night, and not a sound 'cept for a hoot owl and some critters scuffling thru the leaves. The next morning a warming fire and a cup of hot joe started the day off right. It was great to be back on the AT!

I'm retired now, due to a variety of reasons. I worked more years than I care to think about sitting in a little cubicle, having to get permission to get some outside air or even go to the bathroom. Seems the older I got the less tolerant I grew of nonsense like that. Watching people have heart attacks and strokes (including me) doing things that won't matter or will be obsolete in a year or two was sad.

Well, despite a bum right wheel, I'm planning more three-day hikes on the Trail this summer. I can't go very fast (Mt. Wilcox North to Shaker Campsite was a nice day's hike) but I don't care. So it rains, so I get cold, so I'm uncomfortable at times. So what? I can be dry warm and comfortable sitting on my dead ass at home.

My sincere hope is that for those of you who work, taking time out to do some backpacking will heighten your sense of what's important and what isn't in this life. Take care of yourselves, physically and mentally. All the best.

mudhead
04-13-2009, 09:00
Seems the older I got the less tolerant I grew of nonsense like that. Watching people have heart attacks and strokes (including me) doing things that won't matter or will be obsolete in a year or two was sad.

what's important and what isn't in this life. Take care of yourselves, physically and mentally. All the best.

Right back at you.