PDA

View Full Version : Heavy test fishing line for food bag???

Il Duce
04-10-2009, 11:22
Anyone try to hang their foodbag with fishing line instead of parachute cord?
I'm think it might save weight, but I'm unsure of the durability of fishing line...:-?

Heater
04-10-2009, 11:26
I thought about this but figured it would probably cut into the bark too much too quickly. May bind up on you as well.

P.S. Ever hear of a band called "The Mentors"?

the_iceman
04-10-2009, 11:31
and forget about the "test" ratings. Get a thing of parachute cord at WalMart for $2.50

take-a-knee
04-10-2009, 11:32
It won't work, the #725 test spectra line from Gossamer Gear and Anti Gravity Gear is the answer. All other options are poor substitutes.

Il Duce
04-10-2009, 16:46
P.S. Ever hear of a band called "The Mentors"?

No, but I just wikipedia them and I don't want to get hit by a train....but it does sound like something I would do!

Stole the name from Mussolini and The Boondock Saints

Engine
04-10-2009, 16:57
Have you ever been cut by fishing line sliiping through your fingers? I have and it sucks! Stick with the 2 or 3 mm line available from Campmor for 0.15 / foot. Paracord works okay as well but is noticably heavier.

leeki pole
04-10-2009, 16:58
Fishing line won't work, you can't retie it if you're talking monofilament because the line has "memory." That is, once you tie it off, that part of the line is useless and must be discarded after use. More trouble than it's worth. I've fished for 40 years and know monofilament. Heavy line (read 20 pound test and up) is even less forgiving. Stick with para cord.

zoidfu
04-10-2009, 17:01
What's with the hard on for fascism, Il Duce?

leeki pole
04-10-2009, 17:08
As an aside, I'm not sure what kind of knot you could use on monofilament to hang a bag. I would suppose that a clinch or improved clinch would work, but a simple double half hitch on paracord would be easy to tie and untie on the bag and a clove hitch on the groud to support the food bag. Much simpler and easier and no waste.

Il Duce
04-10-2009, 17:26
Fishing line won't work, you can't retie it if you're talking monofilament because the line has "memory." That is, once you tie it off, that part of the line is useless and must be discarded after use. More trouble than it's worth. I've fished for 40 years and know monofilament. Heavy line (read 20 pound test and up) is even less forgiving. Stick with para cord.

Yea, Plus the line is more expensive than paracord

Il Duce
04-10-2009, 17:28
What's with the hard on for fascism, Il Duce?

Not with fascism; with boondock saints, love the movie.

That being said...have you seen our government lately(Bush years included). I'd pull a Mussolini in a second to save this country from itself...

zoidfu
04-10-2009, 18:04
Not with fascism; with boondock saints, love the movie.

That being said...have you seen our government lately(Bush years included). I'd pull a Mussolini in a second to save this country from itself...

Ahhhhhhhh... I love that movie too. I completely missed the reference.

take-a-knee
04-10-2009, 23:59
As an aside, I'm not sure what kind of knot you could use on monofilament to hang a bag. I would suppose that a clinch or improved clinch would work, but a simple double half hitch on paracord would be easy to tie and untie on the bag and a clove hitch on the groud to support the food bag. Much simpler and easier and no waste.

I have watched Special Forces radio operators use heavy fishing line with a small lead weight attached as a throw line to pull a heavier cord or cable up and over a limb when they were raising an antenna. The slick spectra line works in a similar fashion for me, it slides easily over the limb and doesn't get hung up.

Lone Wolf
04-11-2009, 03:48
Anyone try to hang their foodbag with fishing line instead of parachute cord?
I'm think it might save weight, but I'm unsure of the durability of fishing line...:-?

save weight? 50 feet of cord don't weigh jack *****t

sasquatch2014
04-11-2009, 07:14
I agree with LW it's not the line thats the weight it's the food inside the food bag that adds the weight. I should know I almost always bring too much food. Also always think multi-use. what else would you really use the mono for vs the other uses for a para cord in a pinch.

gonewalkabout
04-19-2009, 16:32
i think the fishing line would cut through your hands like butter!

take-a-knee
04-19-2009, 19:18
i think the fishing line would cut through your hands like butter!

Exactly, and paracord sucks too 'cause it gets stuck in the bark of some trees.

boarstone
04-19-2009, 20:17
Go to your local Home Depot/Lowes or what you have to go to and get/ask for Mason string. Comes in pretty colors too! Tough as nails and cheap! I use it alot hiking/and on my hammock for holding up the netting to holding the underquilt up and around me. Clothes line, boot laces, use your imagination. Take plenty, never know when you'll need it.

Tinker
04-19-2009, 20:20
Another vote for the 725 Spectra line. It's hollow so it flattens against the bark of the tree branch causing little damage for such a small diameter line. It's also very slick. The downside is that it tangles pretty easily.

MintakaCat
04-19-2009, 20:49
I've got some heavy duty monophiliment line for salt water fishing. It's not going to cut your hand, just too thick. Unless you do something pretty dumb.

I think it would work but dealing with that stuff is a pain in the ***. Plus it does cost a good bit, its not cheap.

Like others have said, I don't see much of an advantage using it.