PDA

View Full Version : Lithium Batterys

bishopj
04-10-2009, 12:19
Has anyone use Lithium Batterys in their 2 meter they weight a lot less then other batterys
i know you can't use them in some headlights and digital cameras.have any of you guys use the lithium batterys in your handheld.

:cool:

ChinMusic
04-10-2009, 12:22
Has anyone use Lithium Batterys in their 2 meter they weight a lot less then other batterys
i know you can't use them in some headlights and digital cameras.have any of you guys use the lithium batterys in your handheld.

:cool:

"2 meter"???? I'm lost.

The small benefit of lithiums is the weight issue. The larger benefit is the length of use, especially in colder weather.

bishopj
04-10-2009, 12:27
Hi yet it a handheld amateur radio for talking on the two meter band or call
Ham Radio when ever thing else fail ham radio still work.
:sun

Gumbi
04-10-2009, 12:52
Most backpackers don't carry ham radios while hiking. But Lithium batteries work great in my Princeton Tech Quad headlight.

Summit
04-10-2009, 13:33
Lithium batteries are definitely lighter, last longer, and are better in cold weather than alkaline/Ni-Cad ones. They also produce a higher amperage. Therefore, you should check your '2 meter' for whether or not they are compatible, i.e. can they damage it? If not regulated, lithium batteries are claimed to reduce the life or even destroy LED lamps.

dradius
04-10-2009, 14:24
lithiums are freaking awesome. like summit said, they are lighter, work better in cold weather, and last A LOT longer than alkaline. i.e. i used my GPS last week for 4 day, about 18 hours a day on the same 2 lithiums and the battery level is still 3/4 full. definitely worth the extra $$.

mlkelley
04-10-2009, 20:07
I used to get about 80 photos from my digital camera with standard Eveready batteries. I get about 700 with lithiums.

Lyle
04-10-2009, 20:46
So, are the Energizer e2 Lithium batteries safe for most devices? The Guarantee on the battery pack says:

"We will repair or replace, at out option, any device damaged by these Energizer batteries. Guarantee void if batteries are damaged by user or device."

I see a lot of folks touting the Lithiums, but a lot of devices do not specifically ok them for use. For instance, my Canon A590IS states to use Alkaline, or rechargeable Ni-MH, yet online I see folks do use Lithiums in this camera. Also, Amazon's website suggests these batteries when you are looking at the A590IS.

Do the newer generation of Lithium batteries themselves protect the circuits?

What is your experience or understanding?

Downhill Trucker
04-10-2009, 22:35
Can you use them with petzyls?

I have a tikka.

Summit
04-10-2009, 22:40
So, are the Energizer e2 Lithium batteries safe for most devices? The Guarantee on the battery pack says:

"We will repair or replace, at out option, any device damaged by these Energizer batteries. Guarantee void if batteries are damaged by user or device."

I see a lot of folks touting the Lithiums, but a lot of devices do not specifically ok them for use. For instance, my Canon A590IS states to use Alkaline, or rechargeable Ni-MH, yet online I see folks do use Lithiums in this camera. Also, Amazon's website suggests these batteries when you are looking at the A590IS.

Do the newer generation of Lithium batteries themselves protect the circuits?

What is your experience or understanding?Canon support states "Models which were designed to work with NI Cd batteries cannot use Lithium Ion batteries." Numerous google search hits indicate customers complaining that this camera cannot use lithium batteries.

Summit
04-10-2009, 22:42
Can you use them with petzyls?

I have a tikka.Their website specifically warns not to! They will damage the LEDs. There are some headlamps that have current regulating circuitry that will allow them.

Panzer1
04-10-2009, 23:08
when hiking, alkaline batteries are cheaper to buy and easier to find.

Panzer

brooklynkayak
04-10-2009, 23:14
In cold weather, lithiums are by far better in most gear. Almost all gear works with the slightly higher voltage of the lithiums.
Rechargeable batteries are almost useless in freezing weather, alkaline are a bit better.
I have lost a lot of photo opportunities in cold weather with rechargeables and headlamps that only lasted for a few minutes in the cold.
Even though lithiums can cost 4 times more than alkaline, the lithiums last about four times longer and weigh a lot less. They have a much longer storage life as well so are great for emergency gear. I have read they are better for the environment as well.

For day trips in warm weather I'll stick with rechargeables, but everything else, I use lithiums. I don't have any devices that doesn't work better with lithium batteries.

I don't even bother with alkaline any more since the price of mail order lithiums have gone down.

Jim Adams
04-11-2009, 00:47
Canon support states "Models which were designed to work with NI Cd batteries cannot use Lithium Ion batteries." Numerous google search hits indicate customers complaining that this camera cannot use lithium batteries.

I use lithium batteries in my Cannon digital since new. It says not to in the manual but I couldn't continue replacing the regular batteries that often. Camera has over 10,000 frames thru it with lithium and no adverse effects.:sun

geek

Summit
04-11-2009, 07:52
I use lithium batteries in my Cannon digital since new. It says not to in the manual but I couldn't continue replacing the regular batteries that often. Camera has over 10,000 frames thru it with lithium and no adverse effects.:sun

geekI kinda figured that to be the case and was hoping someone with actual experience would confirm it! Thanks!

Chenango
04-11-2009, 08:37
In cold weather, lithiums are by far better in most gear. Almost all gear works with the slightly higher voltage of the lithiums.
Rechargeable batteries are almost useless in freezing weather, alkaline are a bit better.
I have lost a lot of photo opportunities in cold weather with rechargeables and headlamps that only lasted for a few minutes in the cold.
Even though lithiums can cost 4 times more than alkaline, the lithiums last about four times longer and weigh a lot less. They have a much longer storage life as well so are great for emergency gear. I have read they are better for the environment as well.

For day trips in warm weather I'll stick with rechargeables, but everything else, I use lithiums. I don't have any devices that doesn't work better with lithium batteries.

I don't even bother with alkaline any more since the price of mail order lithiums have gone down.

BK - can you recommend a good on-line site for AAA Li batteries?

Bumshandler
04-11-2009, 09:03
http://cheapbatteries.com/

Hey Chenango, been out on the FLT lately?

Summit
04-11-2009, 10:35
Best deal I've found . . .

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=402487

They have "AAA"s for $19.74 per 12-pack (the older version of lithiums) - factor in gas cost vs. wait and shipping costs.

Snowleopard
04-11-2009, 11:01
This is not usually a big deal.
Lithiums:
Pros: lighter, work better in cold, higher current capacity.
Cons: more expensive, higher current capacity.

The problem with using lithiums with some devices is that if there is a short circuit, they can all their energy at once, potentially causing an explosion or fire. Alkaline batteries have higher internal resistance and lower current with a short circuit, so probably no fire and no explosion. Rechargeable NiMH batteries are in between.
Petzl's concern is if the wires in their headlamps wear through and short to each other you could have an explosion on your head. They are correcting this problem on their latest headlamps.

Check your headlamps for worn or exposed wires, especially where the headlamp rotates up and down. This is a good idea anyway if you don't want to get
AAA have less energy than AA, so I wouldn't worry about it with AAAs.

I will probably use lithium in my AAA Petzl Tikka XP especially in winter. I will use lithium in my AA Petzl Myo XP in cold winter weather and alkaline or NiMH when not really cold. An in between course if you carry spare batteries is to use alkaline normally but carry a set of the lighter more expensive lithiums as spares.

For expensive electronics: rechargable devices usually have a lithium battery. For AAA and AA, use what the manufacturer recommends. If others have used lithium successfully, use them if you want at your own risk.

Be careful with spare camera batteries to not short across the terminals. This could start a fire.