PDA

View Full Version : American Holidays

kaytee
06-03-2004, 23:34
What American holidays fall during normal thru-hiking season? Also, to what degree are things closed on these holidays.

For example in Canada:

Civic Holiday - everyone gets a day off work; only stores open are small convenience type stores

Easter Monday - only government workers and school children get the day off, everyone else goes to work, and private industry operates as normal.

Remembrance Day - Day runs as usual except for two minutes of silence at 11.

Last weekend was Memorial Day and I just realized that I have no idea what that holiday is for or what it means in terms of government and business closure. I was also curious if you have any other holidays that us Canadians don't have or vice versa.

steve hiker
06-04-2004, 00:20
Only July 4 everyone lights little dynamite sticks and and celebrates our independence from the bloody British Empire. Some unload their guns into the air. Merchants make a fortune selling liquor, snacks and munitions to the crazy crowds.

thestin
06-04-2004, 00:32
Let's see. These are Federal Holidays when the post office and banks are closed, but most businesses will be open. Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Columbus Day. Hopefully you'll be done by Thanksgiving!

Most grocery stores seem to close on Easter.

pvtmorriscsa
06-04-2004, 03:00
Last weekend was Memorial Day and I just realized that I have no idea what that holiday is for or what it means in terms of government and business closure. Howdy
If memory serves, and it sometimes does not; Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day. It was started in 1868? The purpose of the day was to pay homage to the dead from the War Between the States. People would go out and decorate the graves and monuments. It has since become a day for us to pay homage to the dead of all our wars.

Pencil Pusher
06-04-2004, 03:12
We also have Victoria Day, aboot May 23rd, where everyone goes out and drinks Kokanee beer and smokes Cuban cigars, eh. Bring your loonies.

Lone Wolf
06-04-2004, 06:05
The Masters Tournament. If I'm on the trail in April I find a motel a have a 4 day holiday watching it.

Jaybird
06-04-2004, 09:23
Hey!

Doesnt anyone celebrate National DONUT Day today (June 4)??????????? :D

Lone Wolf
06-04-2004, 09:30
I'm gonna buy a dozen donuts for each of the 3 cops here in Damascus.

kaytee
06-04-2004, 17:06
We also have Victoria Day, aboot May 23rd, where everyone goes out and drinks Kokanee beer and smokes Cuban cigars, eh. Bring your loonies.

Victoria Day is on the 24th. That is why it is called May 2-4. As far as I know they don't sell cases of 23 beer. ;)

SavageLlama
06-04-2004, 17:34
Let's not forget the most important hiking holiday...

National Nude Hiking Day - June 20th