PDA

View Full Version : just saw the weather

YoungMoose
04-10-2009, 15:40
On cnn theres a bunch of tornadoes touching down and it looks like hte area that the AT, is getting pounded with bad weather. There are a possobility of tornadoes touching down near the AT or even go right over the AT. Good luck to whoever is hiking it as well as late thru hikers.

YoungMoose
04-10-2009, 15:47
just heard they are watching chatangoo for tornadoes

leeki pole
04-10-2009, 16:04
old tornado alley saying, from my gramps...."if the sky turns yellow, you better hide fellow".......we've had our share and it's true.....

leeki pole
04-10-2009, 16:09
of course the fishing is the best right before bad weather....I caught a 3 pound 10 ounce crappie right before an EF4 tornado hit our town.....so take cover and wet a line......

Frick Frack
04-10-2009, 16:10
The Blackberry just chirped out an alert here in N. GA for tornadoes. Looking out side the Blackberry must be on crack....

DapperD
04-10-2009, 16:14
old tornado alley saying, from my gramps...."if the sky turns yellow, you better hide fellow".......we've had our share and it's true.....And purple, green,etc... It's caused by the ice crystals in the atmosphere or something like that.

leeki pole
04-10-2009, 16:28
The Blackberry just chirped out an alert here in N. GA for tornadoes. Looking out side the Blackberry must be on crack....
It's been through here, hope it doesn't get to Augusta. Man, would LW be mad if the Masters got delayed. :D

BR360
04-10-2009, 16:40
And purple, green,etc... It's caused by the ice crystals in the atmosphere or something like that.

Not unusual for the storm clouds to be tinted red, yellow, brown or green from dirt or leaves sucked up by the tornadic vortex and pumped out into the nearby clouds.

I guess if the storm cell passed over a huge field of flowers, that it could suck up any of the petals and turn the sky just about any color.

Skidsteer
04-10-2009, 19:22
We just got finished with a yellow sky and golf ball sized hail.

Not fun.

theinfamousj
04-10-2009, 20:22
And purple, green,etc... It's caused by the ice crystals in the atmosphere or something like that.

Ha! Thank you! I've sworn for some time that during the one tornado that I had the opportunity to experience, that the sky turned green.

Good luck to the hikers and may their shelters be truly bomb-proof.

modiyooch
04-10-2009, 20:23
we have had bad thunderstorms for the last few hours. It's moving this way, but looks like it's splitting below and above us.

Lost My Mind
04-10-2009, 23:05
My son called from hiss hammock about a mile from NOC. Said it was lightning like crazy and was trying to make up his mind to stay put and head to NOC if there was a break in the weather. Looked at the radar and seemed no break until tomorrow morning.

Waiting to hear back from him.

Tin Man
04-10-2009, 23:36
of course the fishing is the best right before bad weather....I caught a 3 pound 10 ounce crappie right before an EF4 tornado hit our town.....so take cover and wet a line......

i don't recommend wetting a line in the privy with a storm movin' in

daddytwosticks
04-11-2009, 14:39
Just took a short southbound hike from Wayah Gap to Silers's Bald and back. The thru-hikers I met had a grand old time in and around Siler's Bald shelter last night...lightning, hail, wind, rain....they survived. As one cockey young gentleman reminded me, they were thru-hikers after all! :)

Lost My Mind
04-11-2009, 22:17
Finally heard form my son this evening. He, too, sounded like all was well. One more story to tell...!