PDA

View Full Version : Repeaters on the A.T.

bishopj
04-10-2009, 18:23
Hi for eve one that like to know here is a link for repeaters from Gainesville Ga to
Maine

http://www.aldha.org/hams.htm

JaxHiker
04-10-2009, 22:20
Thanks! Maybe I'll use this list to build a corresponding 440 list.

rlharris
04-11-2009, 14:33
Note that this list was last updated in 1997 and needs serious updating. Here are changes with with I am familiar.

In Vermont:
Mt. Ascutney: Current callsign is W1UWS, pl is 110.9. The transmitter was relocated last fall (approximate time frame) with a much improved footprint.

Williamstown: Current callsign is W1BD, pl is 100.0

Rutland: Current callsign is W1GMW. pl is 100.0

Randolph: no longer a listing in the New England Repeater Directory.

In New Hampshire:
Hanover: 147.240 (W1GUA) is no longer in the New England Repeater Database use 145.330 (W1FN, pl 100.0, linked to 443.550) Transmitter is on Moose Mtn (elev 1868 ft). Excellent footprint Another 2 meter repeater in Hanover is 147.150 (W1UWS, no pl)

North Haverhill: 147.180 (N1QGC) is off the air

Littleton: (K1HR) Active and is a backup to to the one on Canon Mtn. pl 114.8. Transmitter is on Manns Hill. Elevation ~2100 ft.

Franconia: Acitve. Transmitter is on Canon Mtn (elev. ~4020 ft.) Correct pl is 114.8. Excellent footprint. Usually monitored by local hams. Several of us are also active hikers and listen for other hikers.

North Conway: 145.450 current callsign is W1MVV, pl is 100.0. Transmitter is on Mount Cranmore (elev ~1640 ft)

Mount Washington: listing is good.

Berlin: 145.110 (N1ZGK, pl 100.0) was temporarily off the air pending repairs (was inaccessible during the winter). Transmitter is on Cates Hill (elev 2040 ft).

For JaxHiker: the New England Repeater Directory (nerepeaters.com) would be good starting point for an up-to-date list of 440 repeaters.

Maybe someone will update the rest of the states.

K9UDX

Sly
04-11-2009, 14:51
Silly me thought this was about hikers.

JaxHiker
04-11-2009, 16:04
Thanks for the updates and the NE link. I'd love to see a place we could keep an updated list. Maybe I can look into an AT ham wiki where people could make updates like this. Obviously having local knowledge about repeaters moving etc is better than simply relying on the ARRL or other repeater guides.

ShakeyLeggs
04-11-2009, 16:24
Over the years I have at times wanted to get into HAM radio. The recent posts about HAM radio have only resparked my interest. I started in CB and still remember my call sign from those days. KBPN9569. I have been looking on the ARRL site and also a local club site. I will be contacting the local club for the classes they offer and for testing once I finish the classes. Thanks for resparking the interest. :sun

JaxHiker
04-11-2009, 22:40
Good luck with your studies SL. I'm an Extra class and a Volunteer Examiner. I just went to the local library to schedule some rooms so I can teach a General upgrade course starting in June. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

ShakeyLeggs
04-11-2009, 23:06
Good luck with your studies SL. I'm an Extra class and a Volunteer Examiner. I just went to the local library to schedule some rooms so I can teach a General upgrade course starting in June. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Thanks and good luck on the class. I will surely take you up on the offer of answering any questions I may have.

I found this on the web;

http://kb6nu.com/tech-manual/

Also taking the practice test at;

QRZ.Com,
AA9PW.Com, and
HamTestOnline.Com.

Frosty
04-11-2009, 23:17
Silly me thought this was about hikers.Or at least hikers carrying Winchester repeating rifles.

JaxHiker
04-11-2009, 23:49
Also taking the practice test at;

QRZ.Com,
AA9PW.Com, and
HamTestOnline.Com.
AA9PW and W8MHB (http://www.w8mhb.com/exam/) were my two preferred test sites. I think I liked the latter better but they're both good.

rlharris
05-02-2009, 15:11
Here is an update to my earlier post (number 3 above) with updates to repeater listings in the Whites. The ID for both the Littleton and Canon Mountain (Franconia) repeaters has been changed from K1HR to K1EME. Same owner/control operator as before. All amateur radio operators hiking through the area are invited to put out their call. We'd love to hear from you.

MintakaCat
05-02-2009, 16:06
I'll put in a plug for the W4GHZ repeater in Franklin, NC on 147.24/147.84 (PL 151.4Hz)

That repeater reaches into 5 states and covers alot of the AT. Its been up on Wine Spring Bald since the 60s. Its also a well maintained repeater thanks to the work of Ben Carpenter, W4VOA.

You can always find someone on it because it has a net every night at 9PM. Back in the 80s I used to hangout with the original W4GHZ (Bob) up there working on that repeater.

If you're an amateur radio operator and hiker in the western North Carolina area, then this repeater is worth checking out.

JaxHiker
05-03-2009, 20:27
Thanks for the updates on the repeaters. I have a ton of stuff going on right now. I've been working on presentations for ARES, a local club, and my General course presentations. Hopefully I'll have some time in the near future to work on an AT ham wiki or something similar. Let's use this thread until then, though.

ShakeyLeggs
06-09-2009, 06:57
Just a bit of an update. I have finally gotten my Amateur Radio Operator License. My callsign id KB3SYZ. I currently use a Yaesu VX-3R HT and have been pretty active on the local repeaters. Hope to get more active on HF in the near future.

MintakaCat
06-09-2009, 07:11
Just a bit of an update. I have finally gotten my Amateur Radio Operator License. My callsign id KB3SYZ. I currently use a Yaesu VX-3R HT and have been pretty active on the local repeaters. Hope to get more active on HF in the near future.

Congratulations, I barely remember getting my first license in 1976 but I know you’re proud of passing the test.

The VX-3R is a great little handheld. May I suggest that for backpacking that you get a 1/4 wave dual band HT antenna to go with it. Those little antennas that come with the HT are not all that great.

Also, getting the AA battery adapter to go with the HT will make a big difference on the trail. In fact, as a rule I try as best I can to make all my items that require batteries to all take the same type, so I can interchange them if needed.

73s

ShakeyLeggs
06-09-2009, 07:54
Congratulations, I barely remember getting my first license in 1976 but I know you’re proud of passing the test.

The VX-3R is a great little handheld. May I suggest that for backpacking that you get a 1/4 wave dual band HT antenna to go with it. Those little antennas that come with the HT are not all that great.

Also, getting the AA battery adapter to go with the HT will make a big difference on the trail. In fact, as a rule I try as best I can to make all my items that require batteries to all take the same type, so I can interchange them if needed.

73s

Yea I am pretty proud that I passed the test. I plan on getting the 1/4 wave dual band antenna. Also the aa adapter. I really like this little HT it is pretty feature packed for the price and size. Does me good for now till I can get my base and mobile rigs.

rlharris
06-09-2009, 18:26
For Shaky Legs (and other hams hiking up north):

If you are hiking in the Whites, put out your call on 145.430, pl 114.8. You should be able to reach the Canon Mountain repeater from much of the trail between Moosilauke and the Presidentials -- especially from the summits. Most of the time one of the locals will come back to you; especially if he or she realize you are a hiker.

If you can hit the repeater around 8 pm Monday through Friday, join our local "North Country Weather Net"

If you can

ShakeyLeggs
06-09-2009, 19:17
For Shaky Legs (and other hams hiking up north):

If you are hiking in the Whites, put out your call on 145.430, pl 114.8. You should be able to reach the Canon Mountain repeater from much of the trail between Moosilauke and the Presidentials -- especially from the summits. Most of the time one of the locals will come back to you; especially if he or she realize you are a hiker.

If you can hit the repeater around 8 pm Monday through Friday, join our local "North Country Weather Net"

If you can

kool thanks hope to be in that neck of the woods later this summer.