PDA

View Full Version : Questions about WM Caribou

Big Dawg
04-10-2009, 21:25
What's the lowest temp you've been down to comfortably in this bag, including wearing layers?

Does the lack of draft tubes/collars, and the fact that this bag uses sewn thru box construction have a big effect on holding in warmth, or keeping out cold (at the zipper, neck, or @ the stitching around each box?

Is the small hood TOO small to be effective?

Am I better off going w/ a bag that has baffles, giving me the ability to shift the down as needed?

Thanks!

Engine
04-11-2009, 11:52
What's the lowest temp you've been down to comfortably in this bag, including wearing layers?

Does the lack of draft tubes/collars, and the fact that this bag uses sewn thru box construction have a big effect on holding in warmth, or keeping out cold (at the zipper, neck, or @ the stitching around each box?

Is the small hood TOO small to be effective?

Am I better off going w/ a bag that has baffles, giving me the ability to shift the down as needed?

Thanks!

I'll answer what I can, but I have no bag nights outside in this bag as yet. I'm 6'0", currently 190 pounds and the regular size fits me perfect. The hood is really just fine, it will lay open or close to the point that just my nose is sticking out. The WM bags are known for being accurate regarding temp ratings and I feel, based on other bags of similar ratings I have used, this bag will be the same. I am a warm sleeper, so with clothes on I could go to 25 or maybe even a bit less in this bag without too much trouble, when comparing it to my old 40* Slumberjack.

Try one at an outfitter and see what you think. After I have some real experience in mine I'll let you know what I think then.

Jayboflavin04
04-11-2009, 12:09
From my little experience. I will second Engine, and say WM are very conservative in their temp ratings. I consider myself a cold sleeper and hit 20 in my ultralight rated at 20 and I was TOASTY. Other nights dropped down pretty chilly and I had to sleep with the bag slightly open. As for the boxed construction I cannot answer. If you are a larger person you may wanna consider one of WM semi-rectangular cut bags.

If I were gonna spend that type of money on a bag....what I would do is buy something on the lower end temps you plan on camping in. Then buy a cheaper bag for the summer and milder temps. Some one told me you need to expect anything in april on the AT(Even in the southern states). This is a SO true statement.

Love my WM bag!

daddytwosticks
04-11-2009, 15:03
I tend to be a pretty cold sleeper so take this for what it's worth. Tested my Caribou out last winter on my open front porch at home. Floor construction just like a typical shelter with cracks in the floor. Temperature got down to about 33-34 with no wind. I was hydrated, had a full belly, and slept on a Prolite 3 short with nothing under my feet (dumb move). I was wearing very light long underware tops and bottoms, warm socks, and a cap. Two things I learned...#1 I was at my personal limit with regards to being cold...was glad when morning came and was able to go inside to a hot cup of joe. #2 My neighbors think there is something wrong with me (note to self, use the BACK porch next time). :)

Engine
04-11-2009, 19:55
I tend to be a pretty cold sleeper so take this for what it's worth. Tested my Caribou out last winter on my open front porch at home. Floor construction just like a typical shelter with cracks in the floor. Temperature got down to about 33-34 with no wind. I was hydrated, had a full belly, and slept on a Prolite 3 short with nothing under my feet (dumb move). I was wearing very light long underware tops and bottoms, warm socks, and a cap. Two things I learned...#1 I was at my personal limit with regards to being cold...was glad when morning came and was able to go inside to a hot cup of joe. #2 My neighbors think there is something wrong with me (note to self, use the BACK porch next time). :)

It doesn't work for me, my neighbors behind me think I a complete nut every time I get new gear and test it in the back yard. Once they asked if my wife and I had been in a fight...:)

bigcranky
04-11-2009, 20:11
I tried both the Caribou and the Megalite, and got the Megalite for the full draft tube and the larger hood. It's been great. Both are nice bags, though.

Seeker
04-12-2009, 09:44
27*F, in a hammock...

hood is not too small... just doesn't cover your face... no need at those temps. same with the draft tube... don't need one.