PDA

View Full Version : Boiling Springs

ga2me97
04-10-2009, 21:29
Probably the most memorable night I had in my tent was in that campsite just south of Boiling Springs. I'm not sure if they still have the area set aside for hikers but its the place mowed out in the field just before you get into town. Lots of nice blackberry bushes. We got there about an hour before sunset. Set up camp and went into town for some pizza. Came back and settled in for the night with a full stomach. Unfortunately I did not put two and two together as I crossed the railroad tracks going into and out of town. My tent was only about 20 feet on the other side of the mowed bushes from the train tracks. I was made aware at about 12:30AM when a train went barreling through. Scared the living you know what out of me. The one at 4:30AM was not as bad.

fancyfeet
04-11-2009, 04:09
Yeah, I can relate. I night-hiked into that site back in '02. I was tired and thought, hey, the back porch of that boarded-up house would be a nice place to sleep. Just rolled out my sleeping bag and went right to sleep. Next thing I knew the train was blasting its whistle and the wheels were screeching so loud that it sounded like it was headed straight for me. I freaked and started running away as fast as I could. After the third time I woke up running, I'd had enough and moved around to the far side. Not my best night's sleep on the trail, I'd have to say.

Toolshed
04-11-2009, 08:40
Very happy memories of going through that section N of Boiling Springs. Nice warm incredible gorgeous sunny day coming through those fields into BS. I never wanted that day or section to end.

Grampie
04-11-2009, 08:52
I also tented in the tent area at Boiling Springs. I remember waking in the morning and seeing loads of ticks walking on the outside of my tent. I heard later that the area was infested with ticks.

ki0eh
04-15-2009, 12:10
The "boarded up house" has been demolished as part of the ongoing National Park Service campaign to create synthetic wilderness. Train's still there, though. :)

Also some bad news today, hopefully it's too early in the year to blame this on hikers: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2009/04/gazebo_near_childrens_lake_van.html

ga2me97
04-15-2009, 21:09
The "boarded up house" has been demolished as part of the ongoing National Park Service campaign to create synthetic wilderness. Train's still there, though. :)

Also some bad news today, hopefully it's too early in the year to blame this on hikers: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2009/04/gazebo_near_childrens_lake_van.html

That sucks. I wouldn't think an AT Hiker would do that.