PDA

View Full Version : Smokeys Ridge Runner is Awesome!!

ncmtns
04-10-2009, 23:03
Susan, a Smokey Mtn Ridge runner was a huge help to us during the blizzard a couple days ago. Derrick Knob shelter was hip deep in snow in some places. Over 24 hours stuck in that shelter until weather cleared. She was there to assist us. She went way beyond the call of duty in many ways. Just wanted to applaud her publicly!

Bearpaw
04-10-2009, 23:05
Great to hear. How was the trip out after the snow?

ncmtns
04-10-2009, 23:11
as of yesterday morning, still alot of snow on the high ridge. couldnt believe all the green in Cherokee!!

Bearpaw
04-10-2009, 23:18
as of yesterday morning, still alot of snow on the high ridge. couldnt believe all the green in Cherokee!!

4000 feet of elevation change will do that. Glad things worked out well for you.

johnnybgood
04-10-2009, 23:19
Good props to someone who truely loves helping others.

Are Ridge Runners seasonal employees of the Park Service and how exactly are their duties different from the traditional Park Ranger you occasionally see on the trail ?

Bronk
04-10-2009, 23:36
Ridge runners are mainly there for educational purposes...teaching hikers Leave No Trace, advising of trail and weather conditions, giving directions, teaching people to hang their food, etc, etc. They carry a radio and can call for help in an emergency and listen to weather reports, and they also maintain the privys and pack out any trash people leave behind.

They camp out just like all the other hikers in the smokies and usually have an assigned territory and go from shelter to shelter.

I believe they are seasonal and only there spring/summer but I could be wrong. When I went through in 2002 Mary Poppins was one of the ridgerunners and he said he had thruhiked the previous year and took the job until he could find a teaching job in the fall.

johnnybgood
04-10-2009, 23:43
Cool ....sounds like a fun job . Never heard of Ridge Runners

Lone Wolf
04-11-2009, 03:58
Susan, a Smokey Mtn Ridge runner was a huge help to us during the blizzard a couple days ago. Derrick Knob shelter was hip deep in snow in some places. Over 24 hours stuck in that shelter until weather cleared. She was there to assist us. She went way beyond the call of duty in many ways. Just wanted to applaud her publicly!

how were you "assisted"? were you not prepared?

Pedaling Fool
04-11-2009, 08:35
Same question, what did she do?

garlic08
04-11-2009, 09:45
I was up there last April in a less-extreme blizzard, only a foot or so, and the ridge-runner I met was similarly helpful and concerned about the hikers. He had updated weather and trail conditions available. He recommended some options for safe hiking based on his knowledge of the area. I was eating a snack in a shelter when I met him (I guess that's taboo there), and he was even kind enough to not enforce the rule on that challenging day. I was similarly impressed, and jealous of this "professional" hiker's job.

He talked about the rough night a bunch of ill-prepared hikers had in the shelter he'd stayed at. There wasn't much he could do other than offer moral support and make sure they had the info they needed to bail out as soon as possible, since he knew the conditions would be worse the next night.

ncmtns
04-11-2009, 10:48
She hung with a 65? year old newbie named Floater and made sure he made it to the shelter. Hung with another guy having some trouble on the way out. Answered some pertinent q's for us. Let us eat inside the shelter (against the rules) (dont tell her boss) Weather reports from her radio with the Ranger, gave us a shuttle from Clingmans to Newfound. Assured a skeptical lady we were ok for a ride to Cherokee, et al. Just basically a cheerful and helpful person in an otherwise somewhat disconcerting environment.

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 11:57
Wow maybe watch the weather next time before you leave. They were calling for this system a week in advance. Not trying to be an a-hole but seems like you guys were a bit unprepared for the weather. Good thing she was there or this could have ended badly.

kanga
04-13-2009, 12:25
guys, give it a break. he's just saying thank you publicly, which is awesome. and you're giving him ****. everybody's been in a bad spot now and then, whether due to strange weather/freak storms (which happens all the time) OR poor planning. who really gives a ****? good grief.

YAY SUSAN THE RIDGE RUNNER! YOU ROCK!

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 13:57
guys, give it a break. he's just saying thank you publicly, which is awesome. and you're giving him ****. everybody's been in a bad spot now and then, whether due to strange weather/freak storms (which happens all the time) OR poor planning. who really gives a ****? good grief.

YAY SUSAN THE RIDGE RUNNER! YOU ROCK!

Not giving anyone crap. Just stating the obvious. Think its awesome she was there. Dont jump to conclusions

Sly
04-13-2009, 14:02
It's illegal to eat in a shelter? That's one rule I'll be breaking, especially in foul weather.

kanga
04-13-2009, 14:02
Not giving anyone crap. Just stating the obvious. Think its awesome she was there. Dont jump to conclusions

Wow maybe watch the weather next time before you leave. They were calling for this system a week in advance. Not trying to be an a-hole but seems like you guys were a bit unprepared for the weather. Good thing she was there or this could have ended badly.

???:confused:???

sliderule
04-13-2009, 15:04
It's illegal to eat in a shelter?

No.
////////

jttiv
04-13-2009, 15:51
my friend and i were section hiking the smokies and stopped at derrick knob shelter. i had some stomach issues and SUSAN had some meds that helped. we knew about the possible weather, but she was a great help with new details. she was a great encouragement to the thru hikers that were in the shelter. SUSAN (Kentucky Blue) ... thanks for the good advise and meds.

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 16:21
my friend and i were section hiking the smokies and stopped at derrick knob shelter. i had some stomach issues and SUSAN had some meds that helped. we knew about the possible weather, but she was a great help with new details. she was a great encouragement to the thru hikers that were in the shelter. SUSAN (Kentucky Blue) ... thanks for the good advise and meds.

Sounds like a great ridge runner! I love the runners in the Smokies, always great people with an abundance of information and dedication to the trail.

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 16:21
???:confused:???

What are you whining about??

Ashepabst
04-14-2009, 12:09
cranky, cranky, cranky! ...so annoying.