PDA

View Full Version : new product: penscope

MedicineMan
06-04-2004, 00:15
My oldest daugher got me one of these for Christmas:

http://www.scopecity.com/Products/binoculr/brunton/litetechpen.htm

Last week when we were sitting on Cold Mtn. Va. I wanted to know if that was Apple Orchard Mtn. south of us. I could just barely make out a round blip on top of the southern giant but wasnt for sure. I pulled out the penscope and walla the golfball on top appeard in all its ignominy.
The coolest thing about the penscope is that it doubles as a macroscope (notice I didnt say microscope), not as good as the dissecting macroscope we had in botonay lab at Milligan College but that one weighed 50 pounds.
I have frowned on binoculars--too much weight and most binoculars are plagued with parralax and I'm not going to spend 1200$ for a set of Leicas. The penscope being a monocular doesnt suffer parralax and at 1.75oz you wont mind carrying it. Thin shape doesnt bulge in the pocket either.

Rain Man
06-04-2004, 10:16
The weight is good.... now what about the cost???
:confused:

Alligator
06-04-2004, 11:01
The weight is good.... now what about the cost???
:confused:
Ran the name through Froogle and found some for around $25.00.

I have "had my eye" on REI's monocular, which is 8X and weighs 3 oz. I for haven't seen any reviews for that though. It costs $40.00, but then you get 8-10% off as a member at REI. My interest is for wildlife viewing, so I am not sure whether the penscope's field of view is adequate. Any thoughts on this MM?

MedicineMan
06-04-2004, 22:05
I think you're right in going with the 'larger field of view' versus the penscope. I sat around camp and spied on various critters but the REI monocular is probably a better bet.

DavidR
06-05-2004, 05:26
I use a Zeiss Miniquick for this. It looks like yours is a better deal though. It weighs 23g and gives a pretty good field of view. I think the cost is the only downfall.
http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A80033F8E4/Inhalt-Frame/B7A485BB881A8FFD41256A71003E3DD4?OpenDocument&Highlight=miniquick

MedicineMan
06-05-2004, 06:03
I see what you mean by the price, but hey its a Zeiss and I'm sure the difference in dinero is in a much better lens.
the only thing i dont like about either one is what i love so much-i've almost lost the penscope twice-so small so easy to loose but either are a handy surge to the eyeball.
I'll see if I cant get the MiniQuick on this years Christmas list and thanks for the link, always looking for a better whatever!

DavidR
06-05-2004, 07:02
I know what you mean about misplacing it. I left mine in the front pocket of my hiking shirt after my last hike. It went right into the washing machine with the rest of my cloths. Oops! Apparently it is water resistant and not water proof.
Zeiss customer service is great and they are sending me a new one.

DebW
06-06-2004, 18:51
I'm using the 6x16 Audubon Monocular. Field of view 473 ft at 1000 yds. $30. 2.2 oz. Just carried it in my pocket for a week long hike and found it useful. Optics are decent, not great.

MedicineMan
06-06-2004, 22:09
your model may be the best of the bunch since the field of view is so wide, did you ever get yours wet? wondering about that...ziplocks are a good thing

DebW
06-07-2004, 06:02
your model may be the best of the bunch since the field of view is so wide, did you ever get yours wet? wondering about that...ziplocks are a good thing

No, hasn't gotten wet yet. We had nothing more than a drizzle last week while hiking in NY - had hard rain overnight only. I was carrying it bare in my pocket, so it would have been tested if I got wet. I did drop it on rock once, and now the main lens has a tiny semicircular crack very near the margin.

tarbubble
06-10-2004, 22:36
i think Backpacker mag gave the REI monocular a good write-up last year, if that means anything to you. it's not on their site, though.