PDA

View Full Version : Lipton Type Pasta Noodles in Freezer Bag

NCYankee
04-11-2009, 15:19
I went to the grocery store today and got the grocery brand of the lipton noodles and sauce. Since my cooking pot is not large enough to cook the noodles in boiling water for 7 minutes as per the instructions I was curious if anyone had any experience using the freezer bag method with noodles...

Mostly I am curious as to how long and how much water you used. Thanks so much!

Skidsteer
04-11-2009, 15:42
I went to the grocery store today and got the grocery brand of the lipton noodles and sauce. Since my cooking pot is not large enough to cook the noodles in boiling water for 7 minutes as per the instructions I was curious if anyone had any experience using the freezer bag method with noodles...

Mostly I am curious as to how long and how much water you used. Thanks so much!

It works. About 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups of water and some olive oil to cut down on the stickiness of the noodles.

Time depends on your cozy and the air temperature but 15-20 minutes will usually do the job..

esteban
04-11-2009, 15:44
I use 8 ounces water, let stand for just a moment after removing from my stove. I think just because i'm always paranoid about burning through the bag (should not happen). Let sit for about 10 minutes after you shake it a little. viola!

the2nddeal
04-11-2009, 15:49
My wife and I brought some with us on a section hike on the AT last weekend. We packed some chicken (the pre-cooked kind in a pouch) as well. We boiled 2 cups water, poured the water into the ziplock with the noodles & chicken, then put the bag in a freezer bag cozy (like this one - http://antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=AGCZPCH), then let it sit for about 8 minutes. Basically, you just want the noodles to soften up. The cozy does wonders for letting the food continue to cook without need to burn fuel.

It was a cold rainy day and that was one of the best meals I've had backpacking in a long time. I'm not sure how much the weather had to do with it, but I'll be bringing that meal again. You know the food was good when you take a picture of it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsd/3419075116/

NCYankee
04-11-2009, 16:01
Is the cozy 100% necessary?

the2nddeal
04-11-2009, 16:04
Is the cozy 100% necessary?

Having the cozy just means the food will stay warmer / cook longer (without burning the stove any longer).

sarbar
04-11-2009, 19:20
Having the cozy just means the food will stay warmer / cook longer (without burning the stove any longer).

Yes, a cozy can save a lot of fuel over a trip. You don't need one all the time - for instance if it is 80* out even I don't use on. But for 11 months of the year, yes :)

jigsaw
04-13-2009, 17:35
ive found that the pasta sides tend to be somewhat pastey i have much better luck with the rice sides.if i do pasta i cook it at home first and then dehydrate

gearfreak
04-13-2009, 18:08
if i do pasta i cook it at home first and then dehydrate

Doesn't that get you back where you started? :-?

Seeker
04-13-2009, 21:07
Yes, a cozy can save a lot of fuel over a trip. You don't need one all the time - for instance if it is 80* out even I don't use on. But for 11 months of the year, yes :)

just something else to think about... i use a cozy even when it's in the 90s... it keeps the hot water in the bag from burning me more so than adding anything to the cooking process. (also protects my cook set, which fits inside).

burger
04-13-2009, 21:41
ive found that the pasta sides tend to be somewhat pastey i have much better luck with the rice sides.if i do pasta i cook it at home first and then dehydrate
I had kind of the opposite problem. The once or twice that I tried the pasta, it never did fully rehydrate. The rice always comes out great for me, though, and that's what I use. YMMV.

NCYankee
04-14-2009, 08:48
I picked up about a 1/2 dozen different types and tonight they're all going to be tested...

jigsaw
04-17-2009, 07:17
i know it sounds crazy but what ive found is that it takes alot of the starch out of the pasta.ie not so pastey. and takes no time to rehydrate.my favorite is chicken alfredo, angel hair pasta,i use frozen california blend veggies and some fresh broccoli,a pouch of chicken and powdered alfredo mix add a little parmasean cheese.yummy in fact i have some in my dehydrator as i type this.

Engine
04-17-2009, 07:28
I add the package contents to 2 cups (or whatever the directions call for) in the pot, stir and let stand for 20 minutes or so. Then I bring it to a boil, which if I get the amount of fuel in my alcohol stover right is just before burnout, and place the pot in it's cozy. Wait about 10-15 minutes and dinner is ready...It's simple and I can cook dinner for 2 with about 20-25 ml of fuel. So far it has turned out quite well.

Grinder
04-17-2009, 16:01
some time in the last year, Liptons sides turned into Knorr's.

For a really good meal, try Knorr noodles alfredo with broccoli and a pouch of mango chipotle salmon.

To die for!!!