PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE! Seeking Advice For AN Upcoming SOBO

liplip
06-04-2004, 07:42
Do not respond. Not going on trip this year

Grimace
06-04-2004, 13:03
You should be excited SOBO. You'll have a fantastic experience, get to meet al the NOBO's who made it up North, and join a great SOBO hiking community of your own. We left June 12 in '01 and had company for most of the trail.

All you really need IMHO is a Data Book so you can get an idea of mileages to shelters/water sources, road crossings, and as you mentioned the Thru Hikers Handbook. This book tells you what resources are available in nearby towns. You don't need the actual set of 11 trail guides unless you want to know it is .6 miles to the next stone wall in Massachusetts. I do recommend carrying the maps for safety's sake. You never know when you'll need to find the quickest way into town. The rest you'll learn on the way. IE, what gear works best, how much you need to carry etc.

If you are starting in Baxter State Park (Mt Katahdin) you need to secure a reservation to stay overnight in the park. Do this ASAP!

You need a head net and DEET for skeeters in Maine.

In terms of mileage. I started and did the first 117 miles (100 Mile Wilderness)to the first town Monson avergain6 10-12 miles/day. I was with my 55 year old mother. We did not get any injuries though and enjoyed ourselves. If you are in good shape you could certainly do it faster. After MOnson we kep tit at 15-18/day through the Whites. Terrian is challenging and you're still building your trail legs. ONce we got over Moosilauke (last mtn above tree line) the trail becomes much easier and we were able to do 18-22/day easily. In total we took just under 5 months

Problem with MRE's are just what you said. The are hydrated meaning they're heavy and bulky. There is so much wrapping too that the trash volume is enormous. You can get better nutrition with dehydrated foods and carry more of them. Though expensive, Mtn house dehydrated meals are good. We alos ate Annie's MAc and Cheese, pasta w/ dehydrated tomato sauce, coos coos. We carried tortillas and sometimes bread for tuna sandwiches at lunch. We ate a lot of tuna in those foil packages. Luna Bars, Oatmeal, Olive Oil, Candy, Candy, Tons of cookies, Pringles. Another person we hiked with for half the trail only ate Little Debbie Cakes and Ramen. It gave her enough nutrition to make it when supplemented with restaurant food in town.

You can buy most of your food in Grocery Stores along the way. A few places may require a maildrop. Check out Baltimore Jack's Resupply Essay by clicking on the Information Tab on the top of this page then choose Resupply Advice.

Make sure you have some warm clothes even in July. We had some cold nights through the end of July on the North side of the Whites.

liplip
06-04-2004, 13:41
:clap Sounds good to me Grimace. Youdaman. By the way, what will you be doing on your 28th birthday? I'll be celebrating my 31st on the Trail. I looked at your public profile and discovered we both have the same birthdate. HA! It's a good sign.

SGT Rock
06-04-2004, 14:22
Before blowing a load on gear, post your gear list with what you have and what you plan to buy. We will give you some ideas.

Pencil Pusher
06-04-2004, 15:57
Before blowing a load on gear, post your gear list with what you have and what you plan to buy. We will give you some ideas.
Ditto that. $800 for gear is overkill, especially if you already have some.

Spirit Walker
06-04-2004, 16:27
The AT is an easy one to start on short notice, because it is so well marked and maintained and resupply is so easy. You can literally walk out your door with a light pack and nothing else and do fine. The Data book and Companion help make resupply easier. You can get lots of info about the trail from the internet. Maps help if you need to bail out or if you have any curiosity about the land you are hiking through. If you need to change gear along the way, you can always call REI or Campmore. Starting in July, you can start very simple and lightweight, though you will need to have some warmer gear mailed to you in the fall.

Have you read the Thruhiking Papers? They are at http://trailwise.circumtech.com. There is an essay in the second set of Thruhiking Papers, found under Page Bits entitled, "Is there a faster way out of here?" It gives a list of some of the practical things you need to take care of before you leave - like what happens to your stuff while you are gone? Some people don't need to think about the practical, they have someone back home who will take care of things while they are gone. But some of us have a fair number of details to think about before we leave and he talks about some of them.

As to food - I have done four long distance hikes eating normal grocery store food: Liptons, Mac n cheese, cold cereal, etc. Yes, you get tired of some foods, but it will keep you going, especially if you adjust amounts, etc. as you go. IF you buy as you go, you can stop eating foods you don't like any more and add in new ones that you see other people eat that look interesting. Eat lots of nuts, if you can tolerate them. They will give you calories. When it gets cold, add squeeze margarine to your diet for extra calories. Eat lots of cookies. I know people who eat two Liptons for dinner every day. You'll figure out how much you need pretty quickly. (Actually, for most of us, the first two weeks we aren't that hungry, then the real hunger sets in. Fortunately, for southbounders that means you can carry fairly light through the Wilderness, and increase the amounts farther south when towns get closer together. It isn't that difficult.

Mountain Dew
06-05-2004, 02:55
The best advice I could give a person thinking about a sobo is to forget that and go nobo. GAME :welcome

liplip
06-05-2004, 22:39
Not going on trip this year

Dances with Mice
06-05-2004, 23:00
$150 for the Garmin GPS gadget ( I am waiting for the colorful responses on that one :D ), $800 was a conservative estimate. It included clothing items from the "outfitter" such as two fancy hiking shirts ($40 total) and one fancy pair of hiking shorts ($30 each), although those looked like nothing more than an overpriced pair of swimtrunks.:confused:

Lemme get this straight: You're saying $800 to complete a partial gear list? For one person? And you're sure you don't need a bridge?

Pencil Pusher
06-06-2004, 05:57
Geez, no doubt. Ever heard of sierratradingpost, campmor, ebay, or google on the web? A conservative estimate? Aye carumba. If you've got the money to blow, it's your money. I just thought you were on a tight budget. A GPS for the AT? :eek: What's done is done, consider it an investment.

liplip
06-06-2004, 11:03
:welcome

I haven't bought a GPS yet and I would rather not if I don't need one to enjoy myself. I have a good floating-bubble military issue lensatic compass that I like to play with. It gives measurements in radians and degrees. I would like to use maps on the trail that work well with these types of compasses because I like playing with compasses. However I don't like a map that is cluttered with monotonous elevation lines. Any thoughts on AT maps that work well with lensatic compasses?

Has any-one ever used a GPS on the AT? More importantly, has anyone been disoriented or lost on the AT? I HAVE been disoriented in the woods and it is a terrifying experience when it happens on a cloudy and stormy night and the rain begins to spatter.

I am posting my gear and gear wishlist this afternoon. My wishlist are the things that are on the gear checklist that I picked up at the outfitters. Whistle, Deet, poopscoop, first aid, etc.. that stuff adds up.
Thanks again:clap

Jaybird
06-06-2004, 11:31
WOW...6 year old gear.....is, usable....but by todays standards....

TOO MUCH WEIGHT...I'm sure!

a GPS for the A.T.....talkin' about yer OVERKILL!
(unless you're just a gizmo-freak & like the "techno toys"..)

good luck with your hike.... :D

Dances with Mice
06-06-2004, 12:46
....the gear checklist that I picked up at the outfitters....

That explains a lot.

Compare yours to this one, and read the other comments on the thread.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4266

Rocalousas
06-06-2004, 16:30
Go for it, you have the right idea. If you don't take advantage of the window of opportunity that is open now, it probably will never open again.

As to gear. Try to keep it to a minimum. You don't need a GPS. Where's your gear list? Post it and I'm sure lots of experienced folks will pipe in with suggestions. Take their advise, this is the place where people in the know hang out.

Enjoy your SOBO hike. :)

liplip
06-10-2004, 23:09
:welcome

Hello again backpacking community. I want to say thanks again for your help so far. You have encouraged me to list what I have and what I think I still need. You were surprised, after learning about the gear I already have, that I thought I still needed to spend $800.00 on more gear. Well, the cost was due to the price of the things I didn’t have which were on the backpacking checklist I picked up at the outfitters store. I knocked off $150 by deciding not to take a GPS. I calculated good savings by finding items of comparable quality at the discount stores in town. I also calculated savings by eliminating a few items (spare batteries, needle and thread, tent repair kit) and by deciding I didn’t need the $60.00 cookpot set.

My $800 gear cost estimate did not include the price of food. After reviewing the gear I have and the gear I need to buy, which I listed separately below, my new cost estimate to thru-hike the AT is now $1110.00 for 5 months on the AT. This estimate accounts for gear and food only. The regular refill cost of stove fuel isn’t accounted for, and neither is the cost of mail, parcels, and minor gear replacement. I calculated $30/week for food. My estimate also does not include the cost of AYCE’s, hostels, hotels, a night on the town, emergency funds, or any extra funds whatsoever. I will have a credit card for emergencies.

I hope someone can look at my gear lists and help me eliminate some of it so that I can lighten my load if needed. If I save some money on gear I can spend it on an occasional AYCE and a real bed now and then. HOWEVER, if I discover that all of this gear and a week of food weighs less than 60 pounds I may not wish to take anything out, especially if the gear eliminated is insignificant in cost. Although I have done very little hiking with this Dana pack, I did carry 45 pounds in it once for a few hours and I didn’t really notice the weight until I took the pack off. The hip belt seemed to transfer weight really well. But if anyone knows about weight on the long haul please chime in.

I have not extensively read these forums, nor have I studied SGT Rock’s site yet or the several other sites recommended by others. It wasn’t but two weeks ago that I began thinking about hiking the AT. Most of my thinking concerning the AT has been whether or not I can afford to do it and whether or not I can do it with only one month of planning. While I studied the AT 5 years ago and bought the major items needed, I put the dream on hold. I am l looking forward to discovering how far a month of planning can take myself and my gear. :)

Anyway, I am going to stop typing for awhile because I fear I may be scaring people away with the size of these paragraphs. :rolleyes:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The following list is everything I have now. I crammed it all in my backpack yesterday, took it to the outfitter store, and it weighed 39 pounds suspended from a hook. Due to the large volume capacity of the pack (6100 cu. In.) the sleeping bag and tent can fit inside even when I roll them up in a hurry, though the fit is 2 ½ smidgeons too snug. Maybe 3 smidgeons. Air mattress was rolled up and strapped to the bottom of the pack. I filled the 4 liter dromedary bag with water prior to packing it. I will never be able to get 4 liters of water in this bag because when screwing the cap on water sloshes out. I packed the dromedary bag last on top of everything else. I just set it in there. The 20 oz. fuel bottle was approximately 1/3 full. The metal waterproof match container was empty. did not have ANY clothes or food inside the bag. Everything listed below weighed in at 39 pounds.

Dana K-2 LongBed external frame backpack (enclosed sleeping bag compartment at the bottom of frame, versus the Short Bed version where the sleeping bag is strapped to the frame and is not enclosed.) Capacity is 6100 cu.in. Weight is listed as 7 lb. 5 oz. empty.

Marmot Wizard X-wide/Long mummy style sleeping bag. Weight is listed at 4 lbs. Temperature range is listed as -7 degrees to +1 degrees Celsius. I don’t know why they give to numbers for the low range.

1 large Outdoor Research waterproof stuff sack w/ draw string which I bought for sleeping bag.

Peak 1 Apollo3 season dome tent with rain fly. Rain fly has large vestibule. Tent size is 52”X96”. Weight is rated at 6 lbs.

1 Medium Outdoor Research waterproof stuff sack w/draw string which I bought for tent.

MSR WhisperLite Internationale 600 multi-fuel stove. Comes with foil windscreen and heat shield. Weight rated at 14 oz.

I stove maintenance kit. Contains wrench, pump cup oil, small rubber o-ring, and the K jet for burning kerosene and jet fuel.

1 MSR 22 oz. fuel bottle. Weight when full? Bottle was only 1/3 full when pack was weighed.

1 Thermarest Guidelite self-inflatable mattress. 1.5” thick. 20 in. wide X 72 in. long. Weight rated at 2 lbs.

1 Thermarest stuff sack. It is long enough but it is a little too snug of a fit for me because I don’t like to spend 10 minutes carefully rolling it up to get it to fit.

1 MSR Miniworks water filtration device w/ ceramic filter and various extra rubber hoses. I don’t have repair kit or extra ceramic cartridge. Filter is in used condition. Can be screwed onto Nalgene bottle or MSR Dromedary bag.

1 MSR deluxe dromedary Bag. Rated as 4 liter capacity bag, but I have never gotten that much water in it. Water sloshes out when cap is screwed on. Water filter device can screw onto bag.

1 rubber drinking tube with bite valve. Screws onto water bag or Nalgene bottle.

1 mini maglite with Nite Ize head strap so that I can look like a miner when I am shuffling around in the dark.

1 military lensatic compass with nylon case

1 Schrade folding saw-tooth knife with holster. The locking blade is 4 in. long.

1 pair of Bushnell 8X21 folding roof prism mini binoculars

1 emergency 15 min. red highway fusee

1 3”X18” Kenyon rip stop repair tape

1 small metal waterproof match container. Empty

1 half-full (or is it half empty?) 4oz. bottle of biodegradable hand soap.

1 Mountain Hardwear cool/cold weather/waterproof jacket with hood. I would not use this jacket as primary protection during an extended rainfall. It has zippered armpit vents. I bought this jacket when I was planning a NOBO hike where I planned on starting in late February.

1 bag of 28 aluminum tent stakes. Yes, 28 of them. I want to discuss my stakes in case anyone has any suggestions. I have never been camping in the Appalachians and therefore I don’t know how hard the ground is or how windy it gets in those mountains. Do I need all these stakes? PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING BEFORE ANSWERING. I don’t use the stakes that came with the tent because I think they are too thin and also because there aren’t enough of them for all of the grommets and guy lines which the tent, rain fly, and vestibule would require if all of them were utilized. Also, I imagine losing them or bending them in hard soil.:::: 18 of “my” stakes are the ¼ inch thick wire stakes with hooked heads. These work for the grommets and nylon loops in the bottom of my freestanding tent in case of high wind. The rain fly clips onto the tent, but there are also guy lines and more nylon loops on the rain fly to “take out” the bottom of the fly away from the bottom of the tent. I suppose this helps drain rain away from the bottom of the tent but I have never camped in heavy rain with this tent. My rain fly has a large vestibule but the vestibule requires stakes. However, I have the option to attach the fly, roll the vestibule up, and secure it with Velcro straps.:::: I don’t own a “footprint” and I would rather pack a tarp because tarps are cheaper, more versatile, and cover a lot of groundspace.:::::So…. now I have I have a tent, vestibule, rain fly, and tarp. Now do you think 28 stakes sound like too many considering I will be hiking through summer, fall, part of winter, and for 2150 miles?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This following is the wish list I mentioned earlier in the thread. It is a list of things I think I still need. My initial estimate was $800.00 and some of you thought I was nuts. I have crossed out the GPS unit and thus have saved $150 + tax right off the bat. Also, I followed your advice and compared outfitter prices with Wal-Mart prices. In some cases the prices at Wal-Mart for certain items were ½ of what they are at the outfitter. However, I must say that I wish I weren’t in such a rush and in such a money pinch because otherwise I would prefer to pay the higher prices at the outfitter. Not only is the quality of certain items at the outfitter better than what Wal-Mart can afford, but I would also prefer to support the “smaller man.” Wal-Mart sells enough dish cloths, salad bowls, and Hanes underwear that they wouldn’t notice if I bought my stuff down the street. Heck, Wal-Mart is even listed in my spell checker vocabulary ( I have Microsoft office XP small business edition) But enough of that.

This is what I think I still need, with the aid of the outfitters checklist. I have listed:

What_HOW MUCH_WHERE AT

Maps_?_?

AT data book_5.95_OUTFITTER

Undergarment wallet/organizer_20.00_ OUTFITTER

FOOD_$600 strict diet ?_Where do I buy this food?

BOOTS_ ~180.00 +tax_ OUTFITTER

Sunglasses_?_?

Head net_1.47_WALMART

Light weight fleece sleeping bag_10.00_ WALMART

Flipflops_3.00_KMART

Bandana_?_KMART

MoleSkin_5.50_ OUTFITTER

First aid kit and book_?_?

Elastic bandage_3.95_ OUTFITTER

Potable aqua tablets_4.96_WALMART

Iodine_?_KMART

Whistle_1.46_KMART

Chord 50 ft_1.50_ HARDWARE STORE

Emergency saw_3.95_ OUTFITTER

DUCK TAPE universal repair patcher upper_2.00_ HARDWARE STORE

Coghlan Waterproof matches, 4 boxes_4.00_ OUTFITTER

Butane Grill lighter (package of two)_3.94_KMART

2 pair Hiking shorts_?_DAV or KMART

2 pair Hiking shirts_?_DAV or KMART

1 pair long hiking pants_?_KMART

4 pack boxer briefs_10.00_KMART

1 long sleeve shirt_?_DAV or KMART

Sock liners 2 pair_10.00_ OUTFITTER

Hiking socks 2 pair_29.90_ OUTFITTER

Long underwear bottoms_?_?

Rain pants_?_?

Rain Poncho military issue_~16.00_MILITARY SURPLUS STORE

ALREADY HAVE TRASH BAGS for backpack rain cover and backpack liner

ALREADY HAVE TARP for groundcloth

ALREADY HAVE CLOTHES CLIPS to hang and dry stuff

1 Nalgene Bottle_9.00_ OUTFITTER

Fuel to top off fuel bottle, (but cant take whole gallon to trail head withme)__1.96_WALMART

Cookingpots_?_?

Sugar + container_?_

Salt & pepper + shakers_?_?

Spoon, fork,knife_?_?

Spatula_?_?

Biodegradable soap 4 oz_1.96_ WALMART

(2) 12in.X30in. pack towels_5.92_WALMART

Trowel_2.25_ OUTFITTER

Toilet paper 4 rolls_2.00_ OUTFITTER

This is a list of the stuff I think I should have in my pack, in addition to what has already been weighed, when I leave for Katadyn. I can’t even guess of the weight this stuff will add to the pack, which already weighs 39 pounds. Any guesses? Any suggestions?

Dances with Mice
06-10-2004, 23:55
1 Schrade folding saw-tooth knife with holster.
1 pair of Bushnell 8X21 folding roof prism mini binoculars
1 emergency 15 min. red highway fusee
1 small metal waterproof match container.
1 bag of 28 aluminum tent stakes.
dish cloths,
salad bowls
Undergarment wallet/organizer
Light weight fleece sleeping bag
First aid kit and book
Elastic bandage
Iodine
Emergency saw
Butane Grill lighter (package of two)
1 pair Hiking shorts
1 pair Hiking shirt
2 boxer briefs
CLOTHES CLIPS
Salt & pepper + shakers
fork,knife
Spatula
(1) 12in.X30in. pack towel
Toilet paper 3.5 rolls

Forget all the above. Unless the fleece bag a warm weather replacement for your cold weather one. And no camera?

Now you should have time to read Rock's site, at the very least.

liplip
06-11-2004, 00:38
toothpaste
1/2 toothbrush
floss
food bag I guess, and something to hang it in a tree
chap stick
sunscreen.......
................................yada yada yada^%$%(!!!!!

Comparing my stuff to others, I begin to reflect that maybe I have read too many outdoor survival books. Half of my stuff is for emergencies it seems, such as flare...tarp....knife....iodine...emergency saw...elastic bandage....matches+butane lighter...... million tent stakes........

Now I expect to be ragged on for being an overloaded "survivalist"

I expect that as I read more threads some of the pack lists I will see will contain less stuff than what I have taken on weekend backpacking trips in Flat ole' Kansas.

A-Train
06-11-2004, 00:44
If your gonna tote a 6 lb tent and a 4 lb sleeping bag, you might as well go for the full blown tooth brush!

Sorry I had to do it. I'm sure you'll get tons of help on this site. Aslk questions and search the archives. Good luck :jump

liplip
06-11-2004, 01:16
I was hoping somebody would tell me I didnt need the stakes...my poor stakes. Man I would love to happen across a few steaks along the way, though. Chicken Fried.

You're right Dances Mice! Save weight for my camera...My 20 year-old 35 mm Canon AE-1 and the telephoto and wide angle lens too! :jump

:o

I agree with you on the tooth brush, A-Train. I would have to buy a saw to cut the toothbrush in half.

Happy
06-11-2004, 01:50
For a thru hike starting in early March going NOBO you should be under 30 pounds total weight....if going SOBO in July, 2 lbs under that, and that includes 2lbs. food per day and 2 quarts waters at 4 pounds!

liplip
06-11-2004, 03:46
Happy,

Since I am stuck with my 7 pound pack I cannot see myself getting by on that weight without dropping either the -7 degree sleeping bag or the 3 season tent and fly...AND the cold weather water-proof parka to boot.

If it weren't for the stories I have read, written by hikers, about the infamous white mountains I would probably not pack my heavy cold weather parka until fall. If it weren't for the stories I have read...white mountains..... I might even consider roughing it with a tarp and sleeping bag liner and just ditch the 4 pound fart sack and the 6 pound tent. Oh Yeah!:banana In that case, I could get happy and take along a comprehensive book on tarp tent crafting and see how many designs I can make by the time I get to Georgia. I bet after 4 months on the trail I could learn how to make a flying shelter out of tarp cloth and stove fuel. Springer Mountain would be the Kitty Hawk for backpacking enthusiasts. :jump

Are the Whites unpredictable even in the early summer? I assumed they were. Can anyone comment on this please?

Dances with Mice
06-11-2004, 05:56
Since I am stuck with my 7 pound pack

Says who? You haven't left yet.

The Old Fhart
06-11-2004, 07:02
liplip-"Are the Whites unpredictable even in the early summer? I assumed they were. Can anyone comment on this please?"
I've hiked the Whites for over 45 years and worked on the summit for the Mount Washington Weather Observatory for 4 winters. I have a healthy respect for the weather but I don't see you having any great problems going through as long as you realize that you might have to delay a day if there happens to be some really bad weather. Check http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/normals.html to see what the weather can be on Mount Washington. While there is a chance of bad weather there is also a chance of really great weather as well. If you're going SOBO, you can check the weather at Pinkham Notch AMC headquarters before you head toward Madison hut and go above treeline. Madison has the weather reports for the day posted so you'll know what to expect going from Madison to Mount Washington where you can check the forcast again. Lakes of the Clouds has forecasts posted as well and that will get you thru the Whites. The distance you have to really worry about is about 15 miles long and there are the huts and the summit building you can use for protection from a storm if needed.

There is another about 5 mile stretch across Franconia Ridge that has equal exposure but you can probably judge what the weather is going to be by the time you get there or by listening to a small FM radio. When I go thru these areas in summer, even on a day trip, I always carry long sleeved polypro, medium weight fleece, rain gear, and shelter, just in case. The sleeping bag I use is rated about plus 35 degrees. Wind, rain(or just fog), and 40-50 degree temps cause lots of problems for the unprepared. For a good example of what NOT to do read chapter 17 of Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods" for his account of getting hypothermic on Franconia Ridge.

Keep in mind that countless people hike thru these areas without problems. About 60,000 people hike Mount Washington each year and very few have any problems at all. Like any other possible hazards associated with hiking, be prepared and use common sense and you won't have any problems.

liplip
06-11-2004, 07:27
Forgive me for replying to that ^ without reading all the threads about how to make your own backpack; but, I would have a hard time abandoning a 6100 cu. in. pack that I paid $230 or so dollars + tax 5 years ago. Even if I wanted to sell it I imagine I would have a hard time getting more than $100 for it. To get an appreciable amount of money back out of this pack I would have to sell it to someone who needs a big sturdy external pack and whom better yet is also an admirer of Dana packs. Only then could I go with a smaller and lighter pack without making my own. I would prefer a lighter pack, but externals are also less expensive and that was a factor when I bought mine. I doubt I can find a smaller pack for less than or equal to $230.00. Not where I live.

liplip
06-11-2004, 07:29
Sorry Old Fhart. My last post ^ was intended for Dances with mice. I was typing my message as you posted yours:D

liplip
06-11-2004, 08:00
Thanks Old Fhart. :clap

I think you just saved me about 3.0 pounds of weight this summer. I can have a friend mail my cold-weather jacket to me later in the fall.

Also I want to mention that I did Read Bryson's book Walk in the Woods and I think that is where most of my paranoia concerning the Whites comes from.

This isnt about the White Mountains, but if my memory of events in the same book serves me correctly Bryson's AT hike with his buddy through the 100 mile wilderness ended on a sour note when they got seperated because Bill got disorientated while walking through some trees to get water from a stream. They were seperated in the 100 mile wilderness long enough to decide not to continue their hike through Maine. I remember that part of the book better than any other part because it kind of got me a little spooked about Maine.:)

Dances with Mice
06-11-2004, 08:07
I would have a hard time abandoning a 6100 cu. in. pack that I paid $230 or so dollars + tax 5 years ago. <snip>

I doubt I can find a smaller pack for less than or equal to $230.00.

Not where I live.

You'll get over it.

You haven't been looking.

FedEx delivers.

Singletrack
06-11-2004, 08:50
LipLip, let it be said, that your gear is not whats going to get you to Springer.( And you have alot of gear) But whats between your ears. With that said, I suggest you listen to the advise you will recieve on this Forum. I am sure everyone here wants you to be sucessful. And in some cases, too much gear can cause failure.( Not enough, same results) I will be leaving in a couple of days on a SOBO, and would be willing to share my gear list of what I will be packing. If you think it would be of value to you, let me know, and I will post it. Have a great hike.

Grimace
06-11-2004, 08:59
If you already have the stuff and it works then keep it.

If you lighten your load, however, I think you'll find distance hiking to a bit more enjoyable.

Water Filter and Iodine and Potable Aqua which is more iodine. Check out Polar Pure or Aqua Mira. Both are chem treatments for your water. They will eliminate the pumping. I had a filter on my thru, but have since switched to aqua Mira for hikes.

I udes the MSR Dromedary and hose attachment. Works great and still going strong. Don't worry about the Nalgene though. Use a 1 liter soda bottle, easiy replaced and much lighter. Gatorade bottles have wider mouths.

You only need 1 pot. 1 liter. Search the site for some Walmart Grease pot thingy. I spent the big bucks on titanium but everyone speaks highly of the grease pot.

You only need a spoon to eat with. You don;t need a spatula, you frying bacon? Your food will consist mostly of dehydrated meals and grains. You pretty much boil water and add whatever.

Get earplugs for sleeping

Saw?

After reading your posts on GPS and compasses and maps it seems as if you have a small misconception on the AT. It is the superhighway of trails. IT is marked the whole way with signs and white blazes. IT is well maintained the whole way. Very rarely will you even have to step over a blown down log. A bling man has hiked the whole thing and didn't get lost. You'll probably make one wrong turn on your hike. You'll hike for 2 miles on a side trail w/o seeing a whiteblaze, you'll turn around and hike until you see one again and then turn around and find the right path. It will take you an hour, you'll hike 4 extra miles, and you will never make that mistake again. 4 extra miles sucks. Leave out your compass, leave out your GPS. There are two long place on your SOBO hike where you actually hike due North. Your compass just might screw you up.

I'd ditch the 2lb thermarest for z rest or foam pad that weighs just a couple ounces

Get rid of your knife and and get the little swiss army keychain knofe for 15 bucks

Forget the ripstop repair tape. Just wrap some duct tape around your water bottle (you don't need a whole roll)

you don't need clothes clips when there are always a plethora of branches

Here is my current gear list. I use it in the high sierra and on shorter trips along the AT

Gearskin Pack (2lbs)
1 liter Titanium Pot
1 lexan plastic cups
1 lexan spoon
1 soda can alcohol stove, wind screen, small piece of metal screen for pot stand
16oz soda bottle for alcohol
Black Diamond Ion head lamp
Mtn Hardwear approach Tent (2 person, always go with my wife)
Western Mountaineering Ultralite (20 degree bag)
My wife carries the little swiss army knife
My wife carries a 3 oz foil emergency blanket
Aqua Mira for water treatment
1 4 liter MSR Dromedary bag
1 liter gatorade bottle
3 silnylon stuff sacks (1 for food, 1 for gear, 1 for clothes)
Little baggie with some advil and neosporin and bandaids
Body Glide for chaffing
Bug Dope
Duct tape wrapped around hiking poles
Silnylon pack cover
Leki MAkalu ultralite trekking poles
Clothes
1 synthestic short sleeve shirt
1 kilt or shorts
1 midweight capilene long undies top and 1 bottom
1 down coat
1 capilene hat
fleece gloves
Marmot Precip rain jacket
2 pairs hiking socks 1 dry pair for camp
(no underwear!)

Hopefully that's helpful

liplip
06-11-2004, 19:42
My hiking buddy in Kansas was the type who was not afraid to leave the beaten trail. On the exterior he didnt act like the type of person who was even concerned about getting disoriented. He seemed to have a good supply of common sense and experience.

On our last hike together 5 years ago on a 21 mile secluded trail in eastern Kansas I decided he wasnt the type of person I wanted to hike the AT with. He liked to leave the beaten path and take shortcuts and I didn't. I would prefer not to need compass, although I have been interested in getting into orienteering for some time now. My motivation to join an orientering club was to learn how to be proficient and confident with maps and compasses, with Bill Bryson's experience in Maine in mind. I never joined a club though.

I don't want the AT to be a survival experience, although my above lists would look contrary to that.

liplip
06-11-2004, 19:54
Saw?

HEHEHE.

The emergency saw was for building an emergency shelter or pack litter.

....not for logging.

liplip
06-12-2004, 08:48
Has anyone used the $27.00 Crazy Crib (hammock) by Crazy Creek?

Once again Thanks again for everyone’s help. :) This a modification after some study time

I have decided to ditch the tent and the marmot sleeping bag.

I am substituting a hammock, military mosquito net, and tarp for my tent.

I am substituting a light polyester blanket for my sleeping bag.

I am looking to purchase the MoonBow telescoping hiking/tent poles.

THINGS I HAVE

Dana K-2 LongBed external frame backpack. Capacity is 6100 cu.in. Weight is listed as 7 lb. 5 oz. empty.

1 floppy brim hat

1 large Outdoor Research waterproof stuff sack w/ draw

1 Medium Outdoor Research waterproof stuff sack w/draw string which I bought for tent.

MSR WhisperLite Internationale 600 multi-fuel stove. Comes with foil windscreen and heat shield. Weight rated at 14 oz.

I stove maintenance kit. Contains wrench, pump cup oil, small rubber o-ring, and the K jet for burning kerosene and jet fuel.

1 MSR 22 oz. fuel bottle, topped off

1 Thermarest Guidelite self-inflatable mattress. 1.5” thick. 20 in. wide X 72 in. long. Weight rated at 2 lbs.

1 Thermarest stuff sack.
1 MSR Miniworks water filtration device w/ ceramic filter and various extra rubber hoses.

1 MSR deluxe dromedary Bag.

1 rubber drinking tube with bite valve.

1 mini maglite with Nite Ize head

1 military lensatic compass with nylon case

1 half-full 4oz. bottle of biodegradable hand soap.

1 bag of 8 or so aluminum tent stakes.

Duck Tape wrapped around hiking poles

lighter

TRASH BAGS for backpack rain cover and backpack liner

TARP for ground cloth or fly

Chap stick

½ tooth brush

Tube toothpaste

1 bag of those cheap reusable plastic floss gadgets so that I don’t have to stick dirty hands in mouth

Comb

Gillette razor with extra heads

Roll of toilet paper

Sunscreen

Fingernail clippers

THINGS I NEED

Maps_?_?

AT data book_5.95_OUTFITTER

FOOD_$600 strict diet_?_?

Cross-trainer shoes_ ?_ JC PENNY

Head net_1.47_WALMART

Lightweight polyester blanket

Flipflops_3.00_KMART

Bandana_?_KMART

Headband_?_?

MoleSkin_5.50_ OUTFITTER

Aqua Mira_?_WALMART

1 bottle %29 1.1 oz. deet _1.96_Walmart

Whistle_1.46_KMART

Chord 50 ft_1.50_ HARDWARE STORE

1 pair Hiking shorts_?_DAV or KMART

1 pair Hiking shirts_?_DAV or KMART

1 pair long hiking pants_?_KMART

1 long sleeve shirt_?_DAV or KMART

Sock liners 2 pair_10.00_ OUTFITTER

Hiking socks 2 pair_29.90_ OUTFITTER

Long underwear bottoms_?_?

Body Glide for chaffing

Rain pants_?_?

Rain Poncho military issue_~16.00_MILITARY SURPLUS STORE

Military mosquito net_?_army surplus

1 Nalgene Bottle_9.00_ OUTFITTER

Cooking pots_?_?

Sugar + container_?_

Spork_?_?

(1) 12in.X30in. Pack towel_2.96_WALMART

Trowel_2.25_ OUTFITTER

liplip
06-12-2004, 10:05
Sgt. Rock,

On Your Website, You Discussed A Tarp/poncho Design With Plans Which You Submitted To Moonbow And They Subsuquently Made For You.

I Am Interested In This Design To Use As A Fly For A Hammock And Also As A Rain Poncho That Is Big Enough To Fit Over My Extetnal Frame Pack. Is Your Design Still Available At The Moonbow Company?

Thank You For Any Help You Might Have On This Matter.

liplip
06-13-2004, 16:45
LipLip, let it be said, that your gear is not whats going to get you to Springer.( And you have alot of gear) But whats between your ears. With that said, I suggest you listen to the advise you will recieve on this Forum. I am sure everyone here wants you to be sucessful. And in some cases, too much gear can cause failure.( Not enough, same results) I will be leaving in a couple of days on a SOBO, and would be willing to share my gear list of what I will be packing. If you think it would be of value to you, let me know, and I will post it. Have a great hike.
have fun single track

liplip
06-27-2004, 16:20
dont respond to this thread anymore. I am not going on this trip this year

one thing i have learned about recently is the ultralight philosophy that seems to have dominated this board. Personally, I would rather get into shape to carry heavier weight than weigh my gear with ounce scales. But that is just me. I like a good physical challenge.

oyvay
06-27-2004, 17:33
A lot of people on this site hike ultralight, but there are still plenty of us "go-heavier" folks too. It's just personal choice, asking yourself "do I really need this item or can I do without for 5-6 months." Some go lighter (or heavier) their loads and finish, some go lighter (heavier) and don't finish, and some go lighter and mooch stuff off the heavier packers! (Those hikers wind up as a food source in the white mtns when the weather get bad!)
If you really decided to put off thruhiking this year how about a week or two anywhere on the AT or any other trail just to sort out what you want to carry and what you don't need. Whatever you choose have fun and happy trails!

liplip
06-28-2004, 17:42
i have been in a hurry to gather my things and go. i had the basic gear except for the food. i had the money to do it. i had the time, in four weeks, to prepare because i had previously studied the trail. i came here and asked questions about the details that matter and received great responses. i geared up four and five years ago with durable gear because that is what i expected i would need. i accepted that durable gear might be heavier and pricier, but lighter gear is expensive too, except for the tuna can stove which was also praised by the outfitter employee here in town.

my sense of self-security is "pricey" monetarily and weight-wise. i want to carry heavier gear and an excellent tent if i can. however, i would rather carry lighter gear. but this matter you cant help me with except to say that i "dont really need this heavy tent, emergency flare, and knife." i appreciate the help on that.

i have been disorientated in, and subsequently paranoid about getting lost in the woods. the funny thing about it is it was all in my head. i was on a river in a small state park in kansas where the only place the trees grow are along the rivers. Fear and anxiety is something that bothers me and i have had difficulty with it in the woods as i getter deeper in them. maybe i dont belong on a hiking trail. but, if carrying extra gear is the cost of my self-security than that is what i have to do.

i want to hike a trail someday where the trail is challenging enough not to be easy. some have said that walking the AT is like a walk in the park. well, i doubt that. i am the guy whose anxiety about getting lost makes me a good candidate for a "statistic" for the one person who gets lost in the woods along the AT, even if it only happens once in five years.

i have said i like a challenge. the physical challenge of walking across the eastern united states, yes. do i want to to be an amateur navigator who is not afraid to leave the beaten trail? no, not if i dont have to. but it would be a nice skill to have.

the men who blazed the AT were either rugged and fearless in spirit, or they were ignorant of the potential dangers. i doubt they were ignorant.

Tin Man
06-28-2004, 20:05
Liplip,

I am so sorry to hear you quit before you started. I would echo another's idea is to try a shorter hike to see what works for you in terms of gear. I have read a lot about the ultra-light methods and it has helped me reduce pack weight w/o food from 45 lbs. down to 30-32 lbs. and with 5 days of food, I am much happier with a total of 40-42 lbs. (can't forget the scotch!). I am a section hiker and have done 5 days each year on the AT for the past 3 years. Each year my pack gets a little lighter as I learn more about what is important. I bring my GPS, but rarely use it - it helped me find camp in the dark one day and I was glad that I had it, but I programmed my trip in, something next to impossible for more than a few days. I carry a lightweight backpack saw and anyone who camped with me enjoyed my fires. I saved weight by biting the bullet and buying a lighter pack 4lbs, lighter tent 4 lbs. as I camp with my brother. A 1-2 lb. tarp or tarptent would be better for 1 and you should plan to sleep in the shelters a lot. (check www.tarptent.com) I also saved a lot of weight by reducing my clothing to just what I needed and eliminating a lot of silly stuff like knife and heavy utensils and camp stuff. Don't dwell on getting lost or hurt too much - there will be plenty of other souls out there to help and you can save more weight in this regard. You can travel lighter than me or heavier than me. You just need to find your zone. A shorter trip or series of trips will help you discover your zone before taking on the big trip. If it is still an option to go, make your best guess on your zone now and be prepared to adjust as you go. If it were me and I had the time, I would go. So GO, darnit! And fill us in on how it is going - we will all be jealous. :D

Pencil Pusher
06-29-2004, 02:39
I agree, don't let anxiety get the best of you before you even start. Take a navigation course. Then have at it with the triangulation and all that fun stuff. Confidence cures anxiety.
The knife as security is more like a security blanket for the kid. I see all these guys who like to sport them around in their belt clips. I think it's pretty stupid. When are they actually going to use them for self defense? If you're thinking of the trail, if the bear is going to eat you, your three-inch-samurai-sword isn't going to do squat-diddly. Heck, not even your Rambo knife. Sure it looks cool, but that's about it.
What's a heavier tent going to do? One bear swipe will get through that stuff so he can eat the person letting out the blood-curdling scream. So your tent poles break, you now have a bivy bag. Camp near the shelters in case the storm from hell unleashes on your fortified tent.

Or just disregard all my jabbering and give it a try. Don't psyche yourself out without having even tried it (skydiving and bungee jumping excluded).

johnny quest
06-29-2004, 11:53
guys, im wondering if someone isnt pulling our chain. 28 stakes? 800 dollar partial list? making society pay? this is too goofy to be real. please say it aint real.

liplip
06-30-2004, 00:59
My twenty eight stakes fit in a small bag. I can hold them all in one hand, although I have large hands. I am not talking about T-bone stakes. I mean aluminum 1/4 inch wire stakes.

$800 dollar partial gear list sound too much? $200 boots. $100 for rain gear. $100 for two pairs each of hiking shorts and shirts. $150 for GPS unit. $280 for AT maps. socks, cheap sunglasses, deet, camp scoop.....Nylon rope, whistle....plus a short estimate of $600 for 5 months food. For anyone who has had a job and a checking account and lived on their own they know small things add up. Many young ignorant people are unaware of the little costs in life that add up. How about 7% tax on even just a $400 gear list? 7% tax on $400 dollars is $28. Some tightwads wouldnt spend $28 on a tent. I know this. I am trying to sell my $240 tent for $55 dollars right now. Trying hard actually.

Johnny, about the making society pay...I dont really like the way you put that. Dont try to encourage people here to think I am nuts. I have been somewhat successful in life passing myself off as a normal person. Dont ruin it for me now.

liplip
06-30-2004, 01:21
I am selling all of my hiking gear. $800 worth of hiking gear. I am keeping my Mountain Hardwear Ascent Tech Parka though. I paid $300+ tax for it and it is nice to have in cold weather.

I am not planning to go on weekend hikes until I get out of college a couple years from now. I am a junior right now. After making my decision not to go on the hike, sleeping in a tent doesnt really appeal to me right now. Neither does using H2O purification pumps or whisperlite stoves. If I go camping any time soon, I am taking a tarp, a blanket, a mosquito net, a huge coleman gas lantern, my big fluffy bed pillow, my truck, a cooler full of meat, an iron skillet, and my girlfriend. If my girlfriend doesnt go, then I dont go. I wouldnt go camping alone either. What is the point going alone? I'm not going anywhere. I would just be staring at the fire or the lantern and waiting for my body to get sleepy so that I can fall asleep, get up, and go home to wash the campfire smoke and bug spray out of my hair.

Pencil Pusher
06-30-2004, 06:03
My twenty eight stakes fit in a small bag. I can hold them all in one hand, although I have large hands... $200 boots... $280 for AT maps... 7% tax on $400 dollars is $28. Some tightwads wouldnt spend $28 on a tent. I know this. I am trying to sell my $240 tent for $55 dollars right now. Trying hard actually.

Johnny, about the making society pay...I dont really like the way you put that. Dont try to encourage people here to think I am nuts. I have been somewhat successful in life passing myself off as a normal person. Dont ruin it for me now.
I'm going to have to agree with Johnny Quest, this is sounding pretty 'goofy' indeed.

liplip
06-30-2004, 15:32
...about as goofy as reading an AT thru-hiking information website at 4:30 AM when you have already hiked it....about as goofy as reading how a knife and GPS unit is stupid to carry on the AT, but a cotton shirt will kill you.

Red Hat
06-30-2004, 17:19
Get rid of the pack, sleeping bag, and tent (they are over 17 lbs and should be less than 10!) If you must, keep the bag but the pack and tent are just way too heavy. There are a lot of lighter options out there.

I would also go with a pepsi can stove and aqua mira instead of the whisperlite and filter. Trust me, you want less than 30 on your back. Also, I'd get rid of the dromidary and just use a couple of soda bottles or gatorade bottles. Water is very heavy and you don't need to carry more than a couple of liters at most!

Take the list from the outfitter with a grain of salt. They want to sell stuff. After using expensive boots that gave me blisters, I switched to New Balance 805s, and had no more problems. Most important is to have good socks and switch them frequently. (3 pair) You don't need extra clothing, just long johns for cold nights and rain/wind jacket.

These are a few of the things I have learned from my sections on the trail. Have a great hike!

Red Hat
06-30-2004, 17:28
We may have been fooled on this one, but I thought it was serious. Oh well....

liplip
06-30-2004, 21:41
Get rid of the pack, sleeping bag, and tent...

... (Water is very heavy and you don't need to carry more than a couple of liters at most!

Take the list from the outfitter with a grain of salt. They want to sell stuff.
...Fine, I'll just take my purse, houseslippers, pepperspray, and an umbrella

...O.K. I will just drink 2 liters at the watering hole. I will instead carry the water in my stomach and bladder instead of on my back...

...How many of you own stock in olive oil?

johnny quest
06-30-2004, 23:15
...is this really wingfoot, pulling everybodies leg???? wingy you old goat! who said you didnt have a sense of humor!!!!

liplip
07-01-2004, 00:12
No. I am not trying to pull anyones leg here.

I intend to hike the AT naked some day. I will put purse, umbrella, and houseslippers in a bounce box. I will wear pepperspray around my neck on a chain. Pepperspray wont be for the bears. I intend to use it on people who try to talk to me while I am in my hiking trance.

I am also considering shaving my head, chest, and legs. That will take off .005oz. of hair.

Pencil Pusher
07-01-2004, 01:41
I am trying to sell my $240 tent for $55 dollars right now. Trying hard actually.Yeah sure, dude. Over the course of one whole day you decide you're bailing on this trip because you freak out getting lost in the trees by the river in Kansas and now you're trying 'really hard' to sell your $240 tent for $55 (why?). I don't see it listed for sale here. Besides, "Trying hard actually," sounds like something you've been doing for a while, not thinking about doing.

28 stakes... who the heck comes up with 28 when thinking of staking their tent down? Is it even possible to use 28 stakes to tie down a two or three person tent, short of those six foot tall behemoths?

Liplip is probably BearScared. Makes me wonder how many folks here have multiple screen names...

Big Oak
07-01-2004, 03:26
I will put purse, umbrella, and houseslippers in a bounce box.
This guy says he has a girlfriend? Or is liplip a gal with a girlfriend?

Dances with Mice
07-01-2004, 13:15
I believe 2Lip's been real.

Overanalytical, perhaps, and maybe a touch neurotic.

But also apparently unarmed, and that's a good thing.

frankcornbread
07-02-2004, 03:30
I have been somewhat successful in life passing myself off as a normal person. Dont ruin it for me now.
In 28 days liplip has conceived the idea ,sought advice, made friends, built emergency shelter, learned not to wear cotton boxers, been horribly and frighteningly lost in the wild and is now ready to sell the left over equipment. At a more than fair price. Quite a ride, I must say.

liplip
07-03-2004, 01:41
FrankCornbread, it HAS! been a ride.

I would put it this way:

For a duration of two weeks: I decided to hike the AT, I forfeit my $7000 Fall semester tuition assistance, sought to sell my Finish Carpentry tools, truck, and the rest of my belongings, told my Mom and Sister (Two of the few persons whose opinions are important to me) I was leaving for five months, made flight arrangements, recorded Baxter state park reservation schedules, and met a generous person on the East Coast who was willing to help me get to Maine.

In the span of a subsequent 1.5 weeks: I decided to stay in college, I was given back my $7000 Fall semester tuition assistance, and I sold most of my hiking gear.

Folks, I didnt have the money for such a hasty decision. I needed to sell my vehicle to be able to afford, specifically, the food and the 5 months worth of minimum payments on my 7 credit cards. I couldn't get the price for the truck that I needed. My 87' Ford F150 Longbedhas a Bluebook resell value of $1500 in the good condition it is in and I couldnt find anyone who wanted to pay over $800 for it. Nonetheless, My retired farmer Grandfather gave me that truck and because of him I am fond of it. My Grandfather on my Mothers side is a retired wheat and cattle farmer and I have fond memories of his farm. My days of watching the setting sun on the horizon began on my Grandfathers farm in Western Kansas where the land is flat. My cousin on my mothers side has taken over the family farm since Grandpap retired. Thus, selling the truck would have been to me like selling a part of my soul. Nonetheless, I would have sold the truck for the right price anyways because the AT is important enough to me. but I didnt have time to sell the truck.

My $300 + tax Winter 2000 Mountain Hardwear Ascent Tech parka sold for $125
My $70 Whisperlite internationale 600 multi-fuel stove and $8.95 22 oz. fuel bottle I sold for $35 combined
My $70 MSR Miniworks water filtration device w/new ceramic cartridge sold for $30
My 1999 model $299 + tax Dana K-2 Longbed pack sold for $110 (OUCH! They dont make them like they used to)

My $210 + tax Marmot Wizard sleeping bag sold for $75 (OUCH!)
My $70 + $10 repair kit Cascade Designs 20"X72" Guidelite self-inflatable mattress sold for $30

I cannot sell my tent!

I bought a Peak-1 Apollo 3-season tent for $50 + tax in a Pawn shop 5 years ago. When I bought the tent for $50 at the Pawn Shop it was worth $240 retail. I tried selling it for $110 and also for $55 on EBAY. NOGO.

I will keep the damn tent rather than give it away.

I WILL hike the AT some year. My only hope is that the US is still in existence when I feel the time is right.

liplip
07-03-2004, 02:00
THAT IS UP FOR YOU TO DECIDE

steve hiker
07-03-2004, 02:24
If my girlfriend doesnt go, then I dont go.
Explains it all.

johnny quest
07-03-2004, 16:03
boy that was ugly.